Multiple uniform shirts?

Hm. My son was awarded his Webelos badge last Pack meeting. It's an oval. He wants a diamond. I haven't tried to get it for him yet, but I figured the card would work the trick. (I want to keep the oval for his khaki shirt--to which he doesn't want to switch yet. He's put a lot of work into accumulating stuff on the blue one. :) )

might need to ask the advancement person for an assist, then.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tempest in a teacup. Is there really an issue of people buying unearned rank badges and falsely passing themselves off as Second Class Scouts? Okay, maybe Eagle. But if you're lying about being an Eagle on your resume or a job application, having the patch isn't going to make much difference. I will grant E92's exception for the Nu'orlens scout shop.

I don't understand why Scout Shop folks really care. The big down side is that units purchasing badges without properly reporting advancement are only going to screw up their boys' records. Which is not really going to be a big deal until the unit's Quality Unit numbers come up short or when a Scout applies for Eagle.

Our Scout Shop is pretty tight about requiring advancement reports. But I've gone in any number of times and told the scout shop I need extra badges for odd projects and haven't had any problem. I simply explain what I'm doing and it's not an issue. Of course I'm pretty well known at the shop.

Exibar, have you shown the shop folks your son's advancement card? I would think that would be the gold standard. I was in the shop a few years ago when a 20-something guy walked in and said he wanted to replace his Eagle medal which had gone missing. The lady told him they were restricted and she needed some proof he is an Eagle. The kid wipped out the Eagle pocket card and he was set.

2Cub,

It aint just Nawlins for Halloween and Mardi Gras. Anytime there is some type of costumed or masked event there are folks trying to get BSA stuff for their costumes.

Also most shops keep an adequate supply of the forms and have no problem giving ya one to sign.

Let us not forget the Emo "style" which often uses Cub and Boy Scout Uniform parts.

Emo is a form of music and style of dress and life style, you know, I wish my lawn was Emo so it would cut itself...

How do you know if a group of boys are an Emo Band?

They all have tight black T's on with black jeans very tight and very low, all have black eyemake-up on and at least half are crying at any one time

Dont believe me? Search "Emo" and "Scout" on Ebay

When I need a replacement or knot for a new shirt, I usually wear or bring my uniform shirt with the knot already on it.

One store employee did actually make me go 1.5 hours home to get my Award of Merit plaque to show I actually earned it. That didn't happen again after a call to the scout executive.

Really? I think I can remember an episode or two of Sesame Street where Elmo was in a Cub Scout uniform, but I didn't think it was really a big deal. I mean, I imagine Elmo has his own following -- I'm more of a Grover fan myself -- but it's hard to imagine folks are so specialized as to want to dress up like Elmo as a Scout.

Learn something everyday....

I guess bureaucracy is more important than service to the scouts and scouters...after all, someone has to track all that paperwork.

Good thing the local councils are flush with the time and money necessary to stop that person who wants an extra Star patch....

I think this is related to the whole uniform police discussion...turning something pretty straightforward into a nightmare of red tape and regulation quoting.

Sorry desertrat77,

I have no idea what star you are talking about.

Would it be the :

(A) Sea Scout Council Chairman 2 Star Emblem - White

(B) Sea Scout National Chairman 4 Stars Emblem - White

© Norther ( Kansas ) Star

(D) Service Stars

(E) Sea Scout Reg Chairman 3 Stars Emblem - White

(F)Boy Scout Star rank badge

In order to answer your question, I'll need you to fill out the appropriate forms - in triplicate - certified and post dated no later then last week and fax them to ...

:)

I think it must really be up to the Scout Shop managers what "restricted" really means. I was able to buy all of my patches (even the "restricted") ones without any proof of anything. This included my Eagle Knot. I even asked if I had to have my card to buy a Eagle Medal (they said no, BTW).

Maybe my scout shop is doing it wrong, I don't know. However, I do think that the Rank Card is supposed to be acceptable paperwork

If you are in a bigger council with a National scout shop and you identify yourself as a scout leader they have never once asked for an advancement report. Only in the smaller council scout shops do they ask for one, but even there if you forget the form they will still let you buy the badges if you agree to mail the form in, "A scout is honest".

The big National shops carry so much inventory and could care less about advancement forms, all they do is throw them away anyway. I went in to our National shop,not in uniform, and bought three Eagle badges, five Ranger awards and four Silver awards and they never even asked what unit they were for or for any paperwork, go figure.

Don;t know about other national stores, but mine was in a Metro council and it was REQUIRED on all restricted items. Now proof of earning an award a large margin; handbooks, COH photos newspaper clippings for ECOHs, the actual award itself, and one time a verification from a pro (camp staff member needed a Heroism Award knot). Also we would use NESA for eagle scout verification, but it did take soem time.

part of the reason for this is that you do have "characters' trying to abuse the BSA image.

Eagle92

Part of the problem is the inconsistency nationwide, when I was visiting a large Texas city I stopped in their large scout shop and I was admiring a special council issue restricted item, the sales clerk told me I could buy it if I wanted no paperwork needed.

In my experience the large national run shops DO NOT seem to be too concerned about the rules on restricted items, rank badges, scouter awards,knots, WB beads, OA items, etc. If they are not concerned why should we be.

I was in my local National Store this past week. There were Wood Badge beads, neckerchiefs, coins, and learner neckerchiefs out in the displays for anyone to pick up and grab to buy. I asked the clerk if I needed proof to purchase them, and she said "Sing me the song?"

I was floored.

There's a standard that's not being followed, and I'm flabbergasted to see it this way.