When is too much emphasis placed on uniforms?

Frank17:

I find these uniform threads interesting. Most of out scouts are also involved in other activities. Would they be allowed to:

1. March in the high school band in their jeans?

2. Play football with a sweatshirt instead of a jersey?

3. Run track without wearing track sweats or shorts?

4. Act in the school play without a costume?

Response: All of the above are supplied by the school. They have to participate in fundraising,etc., but the band uniforms, jersey, track clothes and costume are usually provided by the school.

Frank17:For all these types of activities, we accept uniform wear and necessary and mandatory. But when we talk about scouts, the issues of cost, resemblance to military uniforms, and wearability all come to the front.

Response: Cost isn't an issue with most uniforms required by school activities. Wearability is a major factor in the athletic uniforms.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope that those of you who are so strict on following the Uniform Method also clamp down on boys who are failing to be 100% behind the Advancement Method (sorry Timmy, you didn't make First Class in First Year), or the Patrol Method (Johnny, I am going to send you home if you don't stay in your Patrol site), Adult Association (I know that Mr. Smith is mean, but you need to interact with all adults)...

;)

It is 12.5% of the program methods. We do our best to get everyone to be fully invested in each of the methods - but the uniform does not make the Scout, the Scout makes the uniform. I wear 100% (assuming my son hasn't grabbed my socks again). We bought complete new shirts for him to go to Jambo. Interesting that his Sea Scout unit just uses t-shirts, blue jeans and blue Vans shows for meetings and only uses the Whites for competition events.

Uniforms Hah! We don't need no stinkin uniforms.

These threads are always a riot always the same arguments and disagreements, by now you would think that we would all know that we will have to learn to agree to disagree. Both sides have valid points, and no one will ever come out the winner.

"Don'tcha just hate it when you sew the patch on correctly and then sometime in the middle of the night it crawls over to the wrong sleeve!"

Try this one:

I see the terrorists snuck aboard and switched your American flag upside down last night.

Horizon,

in my troop it was the SPL and PLs using the uniform method, not the adults. part of it was that uniform inspections were part of the interpatrol competition. part of it was unit pride. We were strict, but again we did make allowances for those you couldn't get a uniform right away.

I may make a humorous kibbitizing remarks at uniform inspections, but my primary concern is not that the boy wears his uniform complete and correct, but to take a few moments before flags, BOR's, etc. to make sure all the i's are dotted and t's crossed. This attention to detail is a vital part of leadership that indicates major issues. The boy that observes even the smallest discrepancies is often the safest and organized leaders in the troop. I always use the phrase, "If you can't take care of yourself, how are you ever take care of and lead others?" If a boy can't follow instructions correctly and in great detail, surely they will open themselves up to problems of leadership down the road.

Stosh