OA sash for Scout Sunday

One often times finds themselves in the middle of confusion when an issue suddenly take a sharp turn off the trail.  The thread deals with OA sashes, the resurrected topic was something altogether off topic.

It was pointed out in my response to the title, Scout Sunday is NOT an OA event, and then proceeded to answer the secondary thread, wear the MB sash.  The next two threads affirmed that.  So where's the confusion coming from?

@@Chadamus, please be so kind as to start a new thread so as to start another thread so the rest of us won't try and clarify things too much. 

"Resurrecting an old thread to ask a similar question without starting a new one:"

...and so we see the veering off trail at this point.  Check! Course correction procedures enacted.

"Merit Badge sashes during a Scout Sunday service: yay or nay?"

The OA handbook explicitly states the OA sash is not to be worn except at OA activities.  Scout Sunday is not an OA activity.  With my keen Sherlock Holmes sleuthing skill, I deduce that the OA sash should not be worn on Scout Sunday.  Hold that thought til the end.

"I cannot find any official answer."

See above from the OA manual.

So that leaves us with the MB sash.   That can be worn at any time, it is part of the uniform, just like the socks, the belt, the pants, the shirt, the hat, the patches ...  Now, with that being said, often times the sash is not worn during field activities.  The scout uniform is also known as the field uniform and is to be worn for all scout activities.  Yet, according to the Inspection form (BSA official one) the sash is not included because it is an auxiliary piece of uniform to "dress it up" so to speak for the special occasions such as COH's and Scout Sunday and maybe official presentations of sorts in the community.  It, however, would not be considered out of "full uniform" such as when scouts substitute socks, drop the belt, go with basketball shorts or sweat pants for trousers and their favorite sports team's cap and still call it a "uniform"

Therefore for Scout Sunday, I would wear dress shoes, scout socks, uniform pants, BSA belt, shirt, MB sash for youth, all the medallions and a hat to be removed if necessary.  These are the things required for National Jamboree, one should make the effort for Scout Sunday.

If one goes to an event over dress, he can always dress down to casual.

If one goes to an event under dress, he can either leave or look like the slob he has come dressed as.  We all have our choices.  The BSA Inspection Sheet gives the official definition of appropriately dressed for a Scout event.

So, Can the MB be worn to worship in Scout Sunday?  The answer is NO... It SHOULD be worn as part of the dressed up field uniform.

"Thanks in advance!"

You're welcome.... I think.  :)

Edited by Stosh
  • Upvote 2
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think we're getting our sashes confused here, or at least, I seem to be.  The original post from 2010 asked about wearing the OA sash at Scout Sunday.  Chadamus resurrected the thread 7 years later

I do believe that one is not to wear the MB sash while wearing the OA sash.  With Boy Scout Sunday being a non-OA event, I'd go with the MB sash.

One often times finds themselves in the middle of confusion when an issue suddenly take a sharp turn off the trail.  The thread deals with OA sashes, the resurrected topic was something altogether off

Not sure how I could have worded my question any clearer. I made no mention of OA.

@@Stosh I clearly need to start a new thread next time. Lesson learned. :)

Thought I was doing right by mentioning the age of this thread. @@NJCubScouter i remember you having to point out such occurrences before.

Thanks @@F-P for the straight forward answer. Now i just need to remember this in 363ish odd days!  :D

P.S. The boys wore them and looked spectacular. Of course.

Edited by Chadamus
  • Upvote 1