Activity Uniforms - Why Scout pants?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually the correct name for the "Class A" is Field Uniform as opposed to Dress Uniform worn by pros and the council level folks at formal.

events.

As stated previously from approx 1989 to approx 1998, sorry can't remember the exact dates but it was the 1990s, national did create an Activity uniform that was recommended for wear camping, biking, etc. All the Activity Uniform consisted of was a color specific polo shirt, Red with FDL for Scouts, Tan with FDL and Varsity written on it for varsity Scouts, and maroon with FDL and Venture, for those Scouts in a troop's "Venture Crew" ( this was before the Exploring/Venturing split in 1998 and troops had Venture Crews and scouts in them were sometimes called Venture Scouts, the reason why we still have confusion in Venturing terminology to this day IMHO).

Yes I can be a PITA at times, trying to preserve some Scouting history before people forget, and I think those Activity uniforms of the 1990s are easily forgetable.

Eagle92, not sure who you're correcting here. You're the first one to bring up the term Dress Uniform. Field Uniform is indeed correct, as was stated earlier.

OGE - yes, I acknowledged that reason in my opening question ("that's what the BSA says"). But the handbook also says you can wear "other appropriate attire", so even though they do define the activity uniform, they don't say whether or when you are supposed to wear it.

BDPT00 - I think your reason captures a real reason why many units do it - because the adults think it looks sharper.

You say, It sure seems to me that most of the comments lean toward wearing Scout pants with the activity uniform

Based on my observations at summer camp and at camporees, I know that it's a real minority that wear the pants around my geographic area.

On this forum, we have an approximately even split (based on my interpretation of the answers):

Yes, wear Scout pants - Lisabob, Eagle92, nrp1488, emb021, BDPT00, OGE

No, any pants - Oak Tree, SMT224, jblake47, desertrat77, Jeffrey H

Reasons given for wearing them:

Why not? They have them and don't mind wearing them.

Look more official on duty.

To make it easier to throw on your Scout shirt and be in full uniform.

That's the way National defines it

Look pretty sharp.

Reasons given for not wearing them:

Keep the Scout pants clean

Kids don't want to

No good reason to wear them

Shouldn't make any difference

(my addition) For summer camp or jamboree, don't have enough pairs of Scout pants

Although our Troop respects National a great deal the pants issue has become a deal breaker in a few cases because of the cost, the durability of the fabrics and the way kids outgrow them. We do require though that for the Life and Eagle SMC and BoR's that the pants and socks are required.

For almost everything we stress the official shirt with the patches in place and the troop t-shirt.

My soapbox:

I would much prefer a boy to be living the Oath and Law and dressed in pants that he can afford, than a kid dressed to the nines, that gives other kids and a adults a hard time, destroys equipment, leaves a mess and cheats at the activities. The last two major discipline problems I had to deal with were perfectly dressed. Maybe that was a coincidence?

Class B in our troop means scout pants/shorts are worn with a Scout related T-shirt.

A uniform means everyone is wearing the same thing. If everyone is wearing something different, then UNI has no meaning. We are a full uniformed troop. The troop waves Class A for troop meetings during June, July and August. Class As are still required for BOR, SM conference, COH, and traveling to and from events. They are also worn at evening meals while at summer camp.

Why does everyone try to find another excuse to not wear the uniform? Part of scouting is wearing the uniform. If you are at a scout event, wear the uniform. Wear it completely. I have worn the same uniform for 7 years, first as a Cub Leader and for the past three years as an active ASM. Roughly 120 den meetings, 48 pack meetings, 150 troop meetings, 45 campouts, and 3 weeks of summer camp. Only tear is one the side of the shirt wear it caught on the trunk lid getting stuff out of the vehicle. Typically I wear the full uniform the entire weekend while camping. I broke down and bought a second shirt when joined the troop 3 years ago so the shirts have only half the wear the last 3 years.

My son wears his scout pants the entire weekend while camping. If there is a mud puddle to wallow in, tree to climb, pancake batter to spill, or other way to get dirty or abuse his clothing, he is the one to do it. He did tear one pair of pants. An iron-on patch from the inside and no one seems to notice. 1/2 the scouts in the troop wear the uniform pants all weekend long during campouts. The other half only wear them during travel to and fro the campout.

The "Activity Uniform" shorts were khaki. I still have my red polo circa 1992, but I think that the shorts finally wore out a few years ago and they were thrown out.

I actually didn't really mind wearing them, and actually there's some photos of me at summer camp in '94 of me wearing my scout shirt and the "activity" shorts. They were pretty comfortable, and they had a longer inseam than those really short scout shorts I had with the cargo pockets on the side.

Why does everyone try to find another excuse to not wear the uniform?

I think most leaders understand the importance of the uniform.  However, there has to leeway when some boys only have one pair of shorts or pants and they are outgrowing them at a fast rate.  Our Troop is pretty relaxed for the weekly Troop meetings, but we do require the uniform shirt at minimum.  If a scout is coming directly from a school meeting to the Troop meeting, we don't expect him to be in uniform.  We're just glad he came and glad to see him. 

For our Boards of Review, we require all Scouts to wear the full uniform including socks, neckerchief, and merit badge sash.  No exceptions.  We want them to honor and respect the uniform as part of their rank advancement.  The same is required for Courts of Honor.  They know the expectations of this and we generally do not have any problems. 

Activity uniform?  We really don't have one and don't really care to have one.  Our focus is to encourage them to have all parts of the real field uniform (aka Class A).  We have Troop T-Shirts, but we don't consider those uniform.

Not trying to correct anyone. Just trying to give the definition of the uniforms as national has or had in the case of the Activity Uniform, defined them.

As to the vote counting, put me down as "it depends" Class B will always be scout t-shirt, shorts or pants, socks, belt, and hat. BUT as i have stated elsewhere there is a time and a place for uniforms of any sort, whether Class A ( full uni) Class B (described above) or Class C (scout t-shirt only).

Meetings in the summer, yep Class B. Camporees, where they usually specify the wearing of Class B's in the Leaders' Guides, yep Class B. Going to and from Summer camp class, use your judgment (in my troop usually the younger scouts wear Class C, older scouts wear Class B). DInner and church you better be in Class A's. And yes we taught our guys the "Brownsea Washing Machine" method of cleaning cloths ;)

BUT OA Ordeals or activities you will be getting down and dirty, Where what you want, and I'm usually in cammies.

I admit I'm an old fogey when it comes to uniforming. I came from a fully uniformed troop, have been fully uniformed in my district duties the past few years, and am promoting a fully uniformed den. And I am upset with the current quality of CS uniforms. Oldest son bought his CS Switchbacks, yes he used his own money to buy them,and after wearing them 2 times, the crotch came apart. Local distributorships won't handle the exchange so now I have to do some driving to get them exchanged. Hopefully I can just exchange the shorts portion as I do have them hemmed..

"If a scout is coming directly from a school meeting to the Troop meeting, we don't expect him to be in uniform. We're just glad he came and glad to see him. "

Why can't he bring his uniform on a hanger, come to the meeting, and change in the bathroom? The bandsmen, baseball players, footballers, cheerleader, etc in my troop always brought their uni on a hanger and changed into it, even if late (which they would tell their PL or the ASPL as the case may be in advance).

Heck I did the sawitcharoo for a good freind of mine's ECOH that happened to be the same nite as my HS ring ceremony and Dacne. Went to the ceremony with my date, brought her to the ECOH with uni on a hanger that I changed into, then switch back into coat and tie for the ring Dance ;)

Jeffery H writes: "We're just glad he came and glad to see him."

That is why you don't see full uniform - you don't expect to see it.

"They know the expectations of this and we generally do not have any problems."

This is why you see full uniform for BORs, because you expect it.

Question: If a Scout is coming straight from a school meeting, and has a BOR, is he supposed to be in full uniform?

Our Troop wears the official uniform (correct term per BSA, see BS HB) for meetings, and the Activity uniform when outdoors. Our Activity uniform consists of Troop T-shirt and/or BSA Action shirt, Scout pants/shorts and socks.

Why?

Great materials for the outdoors (quick drying, wicking)

Uniform - means all the same (Oak Tree, you fail to mention this is your summations)

Easy to go from Activity to official, especially at Summer Camp

We look like a Troop

Each troop is going to have it's own culture as far as uniforms goes. I'm all about proper uniforming, but there is a difference between high standards and then just wearing everyone out with endless sub paragraphs on uniforming details.

Sometimes the standards become ends rather than means to an end. Enforcement of uniforming can be demoralizing if there is too much emphasis on minute details.

Am I advocating anarchy? No. Just balance.