New Uniforms

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could see the BSA using the recently added "Action Shirts" as the 'new' uniform shirts ...IF, they furnish the shirts with velcro that is the same shade of color as the shirts and in the shapes of the insignia as given in the insignia guide and inspection sheets.

I dont support the idea of doing away with insignia on the uniform....what purpose would such a move serve?

I have read several posts that want less insignia...why? So that Scouts become 'invisible' to the public? Or is it just some who resent the Scouters who wear what can be best described as "excess" insignia?

I dont wish to raise the ire of the folks who wear multiple rows of knots, many Scouters who wear such a display are the tireless few that bring Scouting alive for the many young people within the Scouting movement.

Maybe by using velcro as the primary way of adorning the uniform shirt with the insignia one rates to wear, the sometimes seen right sleeve collection of Quality Unit patches could be avoided?

our uniform shirt went from khaki to navy blue. A great idea from the southern parts where it gets cold but here in the sub tropics and further north in the tropics navy blue is really hot. Just sewed the last badges on the new shirt last night but am sneaking out today in my old shirt because I'll be in the sun all day.

I hope that your uniform is functional - ours isn't in colour nor in quality.

Seems BSA is going for functionality and Scouts Australia for looking good.

Can I join BSA?

Sure Oz...come on up! But you'll have to get used to the idea that North=Cold and South=Hot! And our bathtubs spiral down in the opposite direction!

The idea of Velcro is interesting. The new Army field uniform has Velcro all over it for unit patches, rank, etc. Not sure how it would work with young scouts who would go around ripping each other's patches off. It also tends to collect lint and threads when going through the wash.

Yah, velcro for patches (in a uniform-matching color) seems like a fine idea, eh?

I think the move toward less insignia reflects Oz's notion that da BSA wants to move to a "game" uniform for the outdoors rather than a "dress" uniform - and move to something that kids will actually wear.

Now, as far as codin' goes, forget color coding or bar coding. I think each uniform should have a reprogrammable RFID chip. We could make small, portable readers available so anyone interested could quick-zip the person's entire Scoutin' history for review - training, awards, experience, unit number(s) and positions. Even optional medical history in case of an emergency.

B

I don't see much wrong with the current shirt except that

1. The coller doesn't work well with a neckerchief.

2. the epaulets do get in the way of shoulder straps. although epaulets were on teh oringinal trench coats to secure straps on bags.

We don't have that many patches, it is just that people are too lazy to sew them on. What does the average boy have? Rank, troop, council, patrol. Pretty much the same that they had back in the 60s.

What I'd like are proper shirt tails instead of the straight cut bottoms.

If you have a uniform that looks good, don't change it. The Navy changed theirs back in the 70s and then changed back. The Marines haven't made a significant change since WW II.

The Air Force is comical. Back in the 90s' they spent millions coming up with a new uniform because the zoomsters said the existing uniform looked "too military and not professional." Now they want to change again because the current (new) uniform doesn't look military.

The Girl Scouts pretty much eliminated their uniform in an effort to attract more girls and we all know how well that worked.

Beavah, I find your idea to "chip" the Scouts and Scouters interesting. Having ones medical history at hand in such a manor would sooner or later come in handy.....however, your idea assumes that the uniform shirt will be worn at all times by the Scouts and Scouters while at a Scouting event. Also, Scouts have been known to lose their shirts,or lend them out.

I think we definetly should have a way to have a personal record that one could retain on their person that would have medical information(such as what is on the current class 1,2, &3 forms), as well as advancement,MB and training records.

This record would ideally be small enough to be carried in a shirt pocket while also being waterproof and sealable. Hmmm...maybe all Scouts and Scouters can carry a CD with their info on it? Maybe wear it on a lanyard....troops and packs could personalize them with distinctive designs....our imagination is our limit! The CD could replace the paper registration cards and also serve as proof of membership...National could have supply division add circular pockets inside the campaign and expedition hats so scouters would be encouraged to wear their hats AND be up to date in the 21st century!

As far as "game" uniforms goes, just have jerseys...blue for Cubs, red for Boy Scouts, blaze for Varsity crews, green for Venturers, silver for district and council and gold for area,region and national....and hey just print the pack,troop or crew number on the back and the district,council and locality on the front.....Badges?..we dont need no stinkin' badges! OH, and white jerseys for Sea Scouts.

Maybe would be the time to consider an updated dog-tag device that would have the chip, and other pertinent info. If it still works for the military, it should work for us.

As far as uniforms go, it needs to be relevent, but practical. The idea that insignia is not needed, or that recognition is silly strikes me as falling prey to the PC people a bit. Yet, there are likely some areas that certainly could be streamlined or made less off putting. Most of these areas fall in the "scouter" realm. We of course have the old timers like myself that constantly weigh the pro's and con's of wearing earned and recongnized awards. Do we wear what them all, or do we select the most prideful ones, or do we go to none? I have found that younger scouts and cubs tend to find the square-knots fascinating, and always want to know what they are and how they can get them. But, at the same time, we need to adhere to uniform policies and not wear superfluous items, such as the noted lines of quality unit patches, patches where they are not supposed to be worn or are not authorized, and keep our uniforms clean and properly sized. If we get too big, we need to either lose the weight or get the next larger size. I have one formal uniform, and a couple of older service types. The formal one is for official COH's or council events that require uniforms. The others have far fewer patches on them. Years ago, when I first became a SM, I did not wear earned/awarded items to an official COH, under the idea that I did not wish to detract from the boys' recognition. My PLC came to me afterwards and informed me that if I did not see the need to wear them, why should the scouts. So, now I do, though seldom ever the medals other than Eagle or religious ones at the related functions.

Just one perspective.

I say keep the isignia, but make them 1/3 to 1/2 size smaller than they are now. I sometimes feel like a billboard. It's not necessary for someone to know what unit I serve from 100 yards away.

The current shirts? They are just fine. Maybe reduce the collar size, but that's about it.

"The idea of Velcro is interesting. The new Army field uniform has Velcro all over it for unit patches, rank, etc. Not sure how it would work with young scouts who would go around ripping each other's patches off. It also tends to collect lint and threads when going through the wash."

I was talking with an Army officer who said that his men don't care for the velcro patches. Seems that they take them off for the laundry and then misplace them. Much simpler to have them sewn on and leave them there until you change your unit.

Also, he siad that the guys didn't care for the new rank insignia that is worn on a tab on the front of the shirt because it gets ripped off while crawling and then you need to get a new one. Women don't care for it because it give men another reason to look at their boobs (can I say boobs here?)

"As many know, U.S. textile supplier difficulties and other issues have helped spur an internal "reflection" and re-think of the modern BSA uniform, beginning with the introduction of the Switchback pants and Thorlo socks (and with the gradual discontinuation of the old pants & socks as stocks are depleted)"

I hope they don't discontinue the regular socks. I don't want to have to pay $12 for a pair of fuzzy socks.

As for the switchbacks, I'm not looking forward to wearing those in winter. Nylon in the cold is not a good combination.