A Modest Proposal on Terminology

I agree with the leadership skill of Setting the Example with the uniform. I dont agree that anyone should be made to follow that example. Solitary behaviors regarding the uniform are not of high importance but most likely are representative of a persons feelings about the BSA and may impact an adults standing with a few. Some adults place high importance on the uniform standards with complete disregard to other areas that may be in need of repair. With an association that places high value on character, it may be that the we take a closer look at personal behaviors on the first go round. fb

"How about the uniform-hater that takes every opportunity to poke at those who wear and respect the uniform and uniform method, and goes so far as to start a thread seemingly for the sole purpose of soliciting disparaging remarks."

I'm not a uniform-hater--in fact, I like it pretty well (especially now with the new pants). But I do dislike the attitude about it I see from both ends of the spectrum. If you think this thread was designed to solicit disparaging remarks about the uniform, you didn't read the first post carefully. When it comes to the uniform, I believe in not sweating the small stuff--but one extreme of the spectrum seems to think there is no small stuff, and the other extreme thinks everything is small stuff.

Oh good grief. I was going to ignore the comment about Hunt being a uniform-hater on the grounds that it was patently ridiculous - but I guess I shouldn't really assume that.

When other threads are being closed on the grounds that they are essentially personal attacks, it's disappointing to see one of the moderators call another forum member a 'uniform-hater' - especially when the thread seemed to be set up from the beginning to indicate that there was an entire class of people that took too many liberties with the uniform. Which is not the attitude of a uniform-hater in my book.

But I may be wrong...after all, we're just trying to have a little fun here, while making a point at the same time. Seems like most any humor can be taken as an offense by someone.

So, back to the main discussion...Hunt, do you any thoughts about your libertine terminology and what point do you actually become a uniform libertine? It seems like most Scouters have several obvious unintentional errors on their uniform...if I have no unintentional errors but one intentional tweak, am I a libertine?

Oak Tree

Isn't it interesting how uniform issues draw some of the strongest feelings this side of political issues?

One the question of what makes somebody a Uniform Libertine: One man's tweak is another man's poison. But I do have some thoughts about this. You're probably a Uniform Libertine if you have found yourself saying things like, "I don't care what anybody thinks, I'm going to..." or "I know this will drive certain people crazy, but..." You are most definitely a Libertine if you tweak your uniform in order to drive somebody crazy.

I don't know exactly where I would draw the line...I tend to think that deliberately wrong insignia is in Libertine territory, while a certain casualness about some uniform parts (i.e., socks and belts) is worthy of less condemnation.

How about making this a political statement? For those that follow the uniform rules as stated by the BSA, they are in the Blue Status and for those that do not follow the uniform rules as stated by the BSA, they are in the Red Status. For those that wear every ribbon and button but do it properly, they are Blue Status Snobs and for those that wear just a few of their ribbons and buttons but do it properly, as being Blue Status Weenies. For those that wear every ribbon and button and do it improperly, they are Red Status Snobs and for those that wear just a few of their ribbons and buttons and do it improperly, as being Red Status Weenies.

*These remarks are not directed at any one person or group of people that inhabit the earth or any corner of the known or unknown parts of the universe. They are not meant to hurt, ridicule or otherwise impart any kind of BSA knowledge or raise the intended level of knowledge or intelligence level whatsoever. Hopefully these remarks can be taken as humorous, as was initially intended and not as having any worth beyond their intended use, which might unintentionally close the before stated Thread. fb