Uniformed at a Council Campout

Our uniform consists of a Khaki Shirt, scarf and shorts, long trousers for the adults, brown socks and black shoes and either the Cub cap or green beret for adults. The uniform is worn during all pack meets and Cubs can not participate in Grand Howl etc if not in full uniform.

We have what we call a camp uniform consisting of a green T-Shirt and black shorts, which is worn on fun days and after opening ceremonies on camp. This is mainly due to protecting the uniform which is considered a high cost item in my neck of the woods.

Adult leaders remain in uniform during the fun days or on camp but do have the option to wear the camp uniform. I uniform has a tradition which I certainly hope is maintained.

T-shirts: Perhaps the best garment ever made for summertime and young boys. Inexpensive, easily replaced when ripped or outgrown, can go into the water at the pool...

Shorts: I've seen so many things. I don't think the "Blue Jean short", let alone the BSA cub shorts even exist anymore.

Looking back to my brothers Cub experience (1958-61) and my experience (1964-1967)... blue jeans were the pants for him all the time, and for me were for everything except Pack meetings and Scoutcraft Fair (think Scouting Mall Show in the late spring at a Fairground).

As a camp staffer, I've worn the camp T-shirt uniform (Scout shorts, sox, Scouting belt, and staff shirt) for several years: Staffers should be differently uniformed from participants. Helps participants find them when something needs to be done.

Of course, come formal campfires or chapel, I've worn Class A uniforms, native attire or Tribal Attire depending on the staff guide for the Scout Camp.

My thoughts.

Estee,

What outfit are you with? Green berets as part of a cub leader (I assume) uniform ???? What the heck is a scarf doing on a cub uniform?? Cubs and Boy Scouts wear a neckerchief.

You said: Our uniform consists of a Khaki Shirt, scarf and shorts, long trousers for the adults, brown socks and black shoes and either the Cub cap or green beret for adults. The uniform is worn during all pack meets and Cubs can not participate in Grand Howl etc if not in full uniform.

Brown socks and black shoes? Sounda like a fashion mistake.

Gotta be careful with berets, unless shaved and formed for the wearer who ust also have short hair, the wearer looks he is selling pizza.

With all of your different 'uniform' components, y'all might save some money by just wearing the standard uniform.