Badge placement

Hello all, first time poster here.

My son has earned his Tiger badge and I'm trying to use the correct placement on the left pocket. We are a new pack, so I really don't have anyone to reference.

If I go by the placement diagrams, and leaving room for the other three badges in the diamond, the Tiger badge will come down much further below the bottom of the pocket than the pics.

I don't think the Bobcat badge is supposed to get tucked under the flap, so I think the placement is correct. It just seems rather odd that none of the placement guides show the Tiger badge dropping down 2/3 below the pocket.

Can anyone confirm?

shortad,

welcome, buckle up! it's a heck of a ride! Don't let the turkeys get you down during the trip (some here will tell you I am one of the turkeys...gobble!)

Now back to the regularly scheduled program...being the troop and pack awards and equipment guy, I went and pulled out several awards and one of my sons old shirts...

I am not sure what the problem you are having is- but the cub rank patches (tiger, wolf, bear, and bobcat are all the same - 1 1/2 inch squares and a 'micron' or two short of 2 inches on the diagonal (diamond shape -point to point). The basic shirt pocket is about 4 inches from the bottom of the flap "point" to the mid-line point at the bottom of the pocket. The area immediately below the pocket seam and right up against the the pocket seam is for the AOL patch...eventually...but by then your in a tan shirt...

Unless you have a radically smaller pocket -two rank patches point to point equals 4 inches and should fit. Four patches tightly 'ranked' together should form a "diamond" roughly 3 inches per side with diagonals (both directional dimentions) of 4 inches...

now all that said... on some small shirts the tiger patch will over lap the shirt pocket lower seam...check out Cub Scout roundtable web sites (google them) The uniform insignia sections show an over lap...(just leave yourself 2 inches between the top of the tiger patch and the bottom of the pocket flap and you should be fine...)

Have a wonderful scouting adventure with your son!

and again welcome to the forums

anarchist(This message has been edited by anarchist)

That's interesting. The pocket on my son's blue shirt (size - youth M)is 3 3/8" from bottom of flap to bottom of pocket. The patch is 2 3/8" from point to point. Meaning that with both patches on, the Tiger patch extends to at least 1 3/8" below the pocket, and the wolf and bear patches will also extend below the pocket.

Correct perhaps, but doesn't look as neat as the insignia diagrams on the websites. Can't imagine other Tiger parents aren't having this issue, if it is really an issue...

Thanks for your response,

Alan

--------------------

I am not sure what the problem you are having is- but the cub rank patches (tiger, wolf, bear, and bobcat are all the same - 1 1/2 inch squares and a 'micron' or two short of 2 inches on the diagonal (diamond shape -point to point). The basic shirt pocket is about 4 inches from the bottom of the flap "point" to the mid-line point at the bottom of the pocket. The area immediately below the pocket seam and right up against the the pocket seam is for the AOL patch...eventually...but by then your in a tan shirt...

Unless you have a radically smaller pocket -two rank patches point to point equals 4 inches and should fit. Four patches tightly 'ranked' together should form a "diamond" roughly 3 inches per side with diagonals (both directional dimentions) of 4 inches...

now all that said... on some small shirts the tiger patch will over lap the shirt pocket lower seam...check out Cub Scout roundtable web sites (google them) The uniform insignia sections show an over lap...(just leave yourself 2 inches between the top of the tiger patch and the bottom of the pocket flap and you should be fine...)

It is possible to avoid having to sew those wonderful little diamonds on that rather small pocket. Your local Scout Shop will sell you a nifty plastic, diamond shaped badge holder that hangs from the button of the shirt pocket. As your son earns his rank awards (congrats on earning Tiger BTW!) he just slips it into its little diamond shaped pocket.

No fuss, no muss, & NO SEWING!

I second Scoutnut on the plastic rank holder - with just one caveat. If the boys are wearing their uniform for a rougher activity, take the rank holder off. The badges do sometimes fall out and the rank holder can break.

Gratz on Tiger.

YiS

Michelle

shortad,

interesting...just came from the local scout shop and in digging through the bins...many of the cub badges are two different sizes...it looks like the margins of about hallf the badges are not trimmed to the edge of the embrooidered edge...that could be creating part of the problem...but the guides show some over lap so do not loose any sleep over it...

BUT..._ _ _ _ _ the patch holder. Geejz, teach your son to sew...It is a life long useful skill! Heck, I hand sew better than my wife. Start with a piece of felt and large needles with twine or knitting yarn...and after two or three attempts he will start to 'get it', then switch to real cloth and then to his shirt...If you must- get the "patch magic" and "glue" them in place... then have him sew the corners to start..and move down the patch as it loosens (and it will)...lets not start off looking for the easy way out so soon...

When I was a cub...Mom sewed my troop patches on and my numbers...then she sat me down and led me through it...when I was done she let me know that it was my uniform not hers...when I was a boy scout I even graduated to washing my own stuff...she really liked the "be prepared" mantra and made me "be prepared" for the non-domestic, school teacher I eventually married...

gotta love that woman!

Anarchist

• 1 month later...

Fold the pocket from the button to the point of the pocket plus a little further.

Iron a crease.

Place the Tiger badge along the crease so that the top corner is at the bottom of the pocket flap. (This is where the Bobcat badge goes)

Mark the bottom of the badge with a straight pin.

This marks the top of the tiger badge. Just line up the badge so that the top and bottom corners are on the crease. It will fall a little below the pocket.

Welcome shortad! Check out the Uniform Police threads, and thus put your query in perspective.

As a past CM, I must say that , yes the Cpatches don't fit "appropriately" on the blue shirts of those Cubs of lesser stature. Be prepared (where have I heard that before?) to either resew the patches on a larger shirt or adapt in another way, in coming years.. The "Badge Magic" does work, and allows one to redo the patch on the next shirt (see postings about that, too).

Oh, did I say "lesser stature"? Don't EVER let your Cs think they are "lesser" in any respect but size. That changes with time. Teach them pride of their uniform. It will represent their accomplishments and the patches will eventually (I hope and pray) in later years remind them of good times and good friends. Remind their parents to REMOVE the badges when they seek to recycle or otherwise retire that old blue shirt. Those patches will someday be a keepsake that they will, come college days, let them get all dewey eyed and embarassed when they see'em after 10 or more years. I remember being saddened when I came to a thrift shop one time and found a full dress Webelos shirt hanging up for sale. Who lost their history here? Was it an unthinking mom or disgruntled dad? I would never know. I'm sorry I didn't buy it for the sake of it.

Good luck and God Speed to your Pack. YiS.

Welcome, shortad, you're in for a whole lot of fun! :)

I concur with the plastic badge holder, as long as that's acceptible in your Pack they make life a lot easier. The adhesive is ok, but it sure makes a mess of the uniform. I don't know how it is where you're at, but here we like to pass on outgrown uniforms at Roundtable to families who need them but whose finances are an issue.

Which leads to another point: chances are, your son's going to outgrow that shirt well before you get a chance to complete that diamond. My son went through two blues and a khaki before he went on to Troop.

Good luck, and have a great time with your Pack!

The blue Cub shirts come in different sizes; the smaller shirts come with smaller pockets, and since Tigers are generally smaller than Webelos, their pockets will be smaller.

The rank patches however don't come in smaller sizes.

Adult leader shirts have the same issue. Larger male shirts allow three "knots" to be worn across the top of the left pocket, but smaller female shirts, with smaller pockets, have room for slightly more than two, again, because the "knots" don't come in various sizes.

Fit the patches as best you can and don't worry about it.