Uniform while camping

My addled old mind cant remember back to my days as youth. :)

What is the rule/policy/tradition when it comes to camping and wearing uniforms? Do you wear the Field (Class A), Activity (Class B) or none at all? This is both for the trip up and during the weekend.

Thanks!

I'm almost sure, that there isn't a rule.

I'm sure some units have rules?

I kind of like the idea of everyone traveling in uniform.

It makes it easier to find that Scout who is never where he should be, when he should be.

It also lets everyone know that Scouting is alive and kicking.

But a lot would depend on where we were going and what we would do once we got there.

A weekend away where everyone would be rock climbing and getting dirty I would leave the uniforms at home.

The activity uniform is fine for a Council summer camp -Changing into full uniform only means changing or adding a shirt.

I'm happy to let our Quarterdeck decide what the dress code is for each activity.

Eamonn.

Hey Balding Eagle. Be careful, the uniform questions usually open a flood gate of controversy. As there is no policy written down anywhere that I know of that says what MUST be worn and when, I will let you know what we do in our Troop:

We wear the full Field uniform when traveling any distance that will require us to stop somewhere and eat, gas up, etc.

We also wear the field uniform if going to a special event such as a concert, civic meeting, etc.

On short trips, we wear our Troop's activity uniform which is our Troop-designed T-shirt and hat with blue jeans (winter) or khakhi shorts (summer). We also wear "class B" for regular troop meetings.

During the weekends, especially if we are camping alone and in a remote location, it's anything goes!

Our troop follows this policy:

Full Class A for travelling to and from campouts or other events.

Once camp has been set up, boys can wear whatever they want (within reason and BSA guidelines). I don't think very many (any?) of them spend much of their camping time in uniform because it is seldom practical to do so.

At summer camp: Full Class A for flag ceremonies, dinner, and other special occasions. We encourage Class B for other times at camp and have troop t shirts and sweat shirts for the boys to purchase. Most boys only buy one T shirt though, so they tend not to wear it all the time (one hopes - by the end of the week, yuck!) and wear whatever makes sense the rest of the time, instead.

Public service and other outings: Full Class A if it makes sense for the occasion (parades, etc).

Troop Meetings: Full Class A

We're known (with all the inherent plusses and minuses) as "the uniformed troop" in town.

Lisa'bob

"Troop Meetings: Full Class A "

What would be a Half Class A?

What would be a Quarter Class A?

Where does Class B fit into the equation?

OMG this new math and the Uniform Police are going to be the death of me :)

(This message has been edited by purcelce)

Balding Eagle,

For us...Troop policy is travel to and from nearly all events in Uniform...at camps the boys can dress down to scout Tees (we have our own troop tees and the troop frequently awards the BSA activity shirts as "awards") shorts or pants (we "allow" green BDUs for camps)Flag ceremony requires return to Uniform as does Summercamp dining hall and Sunday service...

Caving and canoe trips dispense with the full uniform requirement for Tees and shorts (as appropriate)or overalls etc...

We find many of the boys wear the Field uniform shirt all weekend long as do most of the adult leaders (most of us have two or three "Class A " shirts).

purcelce quizzed:

"What would be a Half Class A?

What would be a Quarter Class A?

Where does Class B fit into the equation? "

OK, I'll play. In our troop:

"Full Class A" would consist of shirt, pants, belt, neckerchief, merit badge sash. Worn for BOR's and COH's. (Sorry all, socks are ignored).

"Half Class A" which is sometimes called "Class A" in our troop, is shirt, pants, & belt. Worn for troop meetings, service projects, traveling to/from campouts & summer camp, and to dinner & flags at summer camp. ("The boys would just lose their neckerchiefs")

"Quarter Class A" consists of a shirt, and this is sometimes all you get for troop meetings and campouts.

"Class B" is the troop T-shirt or summer camp T-shirt, worn on campouts (Class A's having been stripped off as soon as we park) and during the day at summer camp.(This message has been edited by Eagle76)

Depends on the events.

My troop: (when as a youth)

District/Council Camporees - full uniform (minus sash) unless there are extenuating circumstances. Example Indian Lore or Klondike with a dress in theme contest for the day's activities.

Troop Winter campout - dress for the weather only - uniform optional.

Summer Camp - full uniform to/from camp and for Flag ceremonies, and dress according to activities with a scout activity shirt or scout t-shirt prefered (don't wear a new activity shirt or white-based t-shirt if swamping canoes in a muddy creek).

I wear my uniform for all of my Pack's camping unless I am cutting/splitting wood for the campfire, so I change to jeans and t-shirt for that (only have one uniform, so I try to keep it in good shape).(This message has been edited by Vigil-Hiker)

We are not that different from GWD. When travelling to summer camp in our bus, during the mid weekend in which we visit the local town. to church and multi-troop functions like council trips (very very rare) or public places like Gettysburg or Washington DC we were full class A's. The rest of the time its up to the scout, and because most of those are hiking trips the scout uniform really isnt appropriate.

As most other troops do, so do we travel in field uniform (1/4 to full, depends on which scout or scouter). Seems that most of our scouts remain in at least 1/4 field or 1/2 activity uniform for the rest of the weekend/event.

We do request field uniform for morning and evening colors as well as the evening meal. Most scouts comply with only a few having to be reminded.

Our troop generally tries to inspect the packs of its newer scouts prior to their first overnighter and summer camp. This is conducted by the PL and SPL/ASPL. We try to discourage the wearing of jeans as once they are wet they seem to stay that way all weekend or 3 days(whichever comes first).

In lieu of jeans we prefer the uniform pants or pants of a similar color that are quick drying and zip-off if possible. Dont discount the uniform pants for camping, they will dry a lot faster than jeans and from personal observation of my sons wearing a pair throughout last years summr camp, thay did not not shred, disinegrate or fall apart from normal scout wear/use. That is to mean crawling/rolling/falling/running/walking on the normal terrain of a summer camp here in WI.

I myself pack/wear only uniform items for all our camps/events. Might as well wear them and get some use from them, Right? I've had one pair I bought new in 1999 that have yet to rip or implode due to normal to heavy wear, but they are a bit faded and rather comfortable.

As for the {GASP} uniform police....I can only hope some imaginative scouter with a gift for ad-libbing will take Cheap Tricks "The Dream Police" and come up with some more...shall we say..ah, fitting lyrics. hmmm???

while its true the uniform pants are better then jeans they arent the best. They are a bit warm to be wearing around here from may to mid-september and they are on the expensive side so not that cost effective. Spring thru fall backpacking has no real use for uniform outside of travel.

Uniform pants are lighter for hiking and move easier than jeans do. I give mine a light coat of water repellent before damp outings. For some seasons, I recommend the utility zipoff pants (cool morning/evenings and warm afternoons). My son has those, but I never seem to find right color in adult sizes that aren't expensive.

We may pack our neckerchiefs for wear at Flag ceremonies or uniform inspections, but we tend to leave them at home since today's are mostly designed for show and the boys tend to lose the slides.

I recommend carrying a bandana for more practical uses: sweat rag, dust filter, arm sling, etc. Especially if you need to use a bear bag, you would not want to use your neckerchief to wrap a rock to weight the throwing end of the rope. They will get holes from a toss hitting the tree trunk(Philmont experience).

DugNevius - I bet the boys loved Devil's Den and Little Round top at Gettysburg. I remember most of my old troop in full uniform doing the full 10 miles/museum/Eisenhower Farm in 1 day. We slept the 4 hour ride back home - we had an adult driver crew and adult hiking crew to reduce fatigue issues. Gawd I miss living closer. Dying to get my son to Gettysburg.