Long sleeve undergarments?

The issue of wearing unofficial items of clothing with the official Scout uniform comes up all the time.

There are some parts of the Insignia Guide that generally addresses this:

Page 1 Official Policy under the section entitled Personal Commitment.

Official Uniforms Clause 2: "The official uniforms authorized as evidence of official relationship to the Boy Scouts of America shall be those approved by the action of the Executive Board of the Boy Scouts of America from time to time, as illustrated and correctly described in the handbooks, catalogs, and other official publications of the Boy Scouts of America."

and:

Page 1 (continued on Page 2) under Exceprts From the Rules and Regulations under the section titled:

Protection of Uniforms Clause 4(a) "No alterations or additions to the official uniformation, as described in official publications, or the rules and regulations covering the wearing of the uniform and the proper combinations thereof on official occasions, may be authorized by any Scouting official or local council or any local executive board or committee, except the Executive Board of he Boy Scouts of America after consideration by the Program Group Committee."

I supposed that strictly speaking, a member should not wear long sleeved items UNDER the official short sleeved uniform shirt - because it is not should in any of the official publications. The same goes for long pants worn under official Scout shorts.

But then again, I read nothing official specifically prohibiting it.

Occasionally, I will wear a tan or beige long sleeved t-shirt under my offical BSA uniform shirt - only during outdoor activities. I consider it a health and safety issue - better to stay warm and well without wearing a jacket and maybe getting overheated.

The subject of jackets has also been discused. Both the Insignia Guide and the BSA catalog show "official" jackets. I supposed some would argue that those are the ONLY jackets that can be worn with the official uniform. But again, I read nothing that says that other jackets cannot be worn with the uniform.

Footgear. I can find almost nothing on the subject in official publications other than recommendations. There appears to be no "offical" footgear (shoes and boots - not socks). I was told not to wear "white tennis shoes or sneakers" to my Wood Badge course. When I asked why (and I don't wear white sneakers with my uniform anyway) - I was told it was for "uniformity" - They only specified wearing "dark colored footgear" Did that include "dark white - gray" - "Dark red - rather than bright red" and so on. I wore dark green and brown hiking "sneakers" and brown hiking boots. No one said anything to me. I have seen female Scouters wear high heels with the Scout unoform. Interesting.

I think that much of this should be just common sense and good taste while trying to stay as close to the official policies and regulations as possible.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TheScout, you wrote:

"why can't the scout just wear a coat over the shirt to

and from the meeting since its cold outside. Take the coat

of at the meeting, since its warm inside. That way he

would not have to worry about wearing anything under his

uniform"

Maybe this would work most places, but not where our Cub Scouts meet. Our Cubs usually wear their jackets dureing the shole meeting unless we are painting. We meet at the local Masonic Lodge. It is a VERY old building and we do not wish to run their gas bill up too much. I usually go in about 2 hours before our meeting and turn the heat on, but it is still cool in the building. So, I prefer if the boys wear something under their uniform. Actually I would just prefer if most of them wore thier uniforms. By the way, I wear a blue and black stir[ed long sleeve shirt under my uniform.

Thanks for all the answers, advice and opinions. I will try to stay true to the uniform, but those red wool jac-shirts sure will be scratchy without a long sleeve undershirt. Money is an issue, so I probably won't buy a second shirt, ie. long sleeve. Some may snarl, but they'll just have too. At least I bought the ugly pants.

I used to own a nice red turtleneck, and my father and brother still wear them. Since I am now a district Committe member, I wear a white turtleneck under my short-sleeve shirt.

Another point to make, regarding uniforms. In my council, our summer camp issues the 3" patch with segments, and these can only really be worn on one shirt. It is a matter of pride for scouts to show off how many circles of segments they've earned.

The uniforms I currently own are 2 short-sleeve shirts (1 venture, 1 scout) and 1 pair of uniform pants. I'll buy the shorts in the spring, and look on Ebay until then.

Jon

I have used Wearguard in the past and have recieved very good quality garments and amazing quick delivery times. www.wearguard.com

They sell a variety of work grade garments. They also do custom embroidery and screen printing. I just called their toll free number, 1.800.388.3300, and spoke with the helpdesk. They already have the BSA flur-de-lie logo with the eagle in stock.

They sell turtlenecks, mock turtle, and long sleeve T-shirts. All are available in green, red and a variety of other colors. The logo is too large to put on the neck of a shirt but would easily fit on the breast. Cost varies depending on how many shirts you order at a time.

If this is a problem that keeps you awake at night, why not have a screen print designed with your troop number and the BSA logo and have it printed on long sleeve T-shirts or mock turtle necks. It could be declared a class B or activity uniform. Then it would be an offical troop uniform and would help promote a uniform appearance for those wearing long sleeve shirts under their short sleeved uniform shirts.

You may feel more comfortable dealing with a local screen print or embroidery shop.

BrentAllen you are spot on.

If we follow the letter of the rules, Scouts and Scouters cannot wear any 'civilian' wear with uniforms items. No underwear, no footwear, no non-issue coats.

I think wearing long sleeves under the shirt is perfectly OK, if not encouraged. As long as the shirt coordinates with the uniform, it can look pretty snappy. As a Cub Leader, I wear a long-sleeved navy sweatshirt under my uniform for some things. Coats cover the uniform shirt making its wearing pointless. Layering is a great way (and highly recommended) way to stay warm. A long-sleeved uniform shirt is not nearly as effective.

No, you're wrong about footwear--the insignia inspection guide clearly says you must wear footwear, which must be "leather or canvas--neat and clean." So you can wear shoes, but if they're made of man-made materials, you lose points.

(Is there anybody--even one person--who wants to argue that a boy wearing decent-looking vinyl or other artificial shoes isn't properly uniformed?)

I won't question a synthetic shoe. Certainly not while I'm wearing the Crocs that I've become addicted to. Unless I'm wearing my hiking boots, I'm in Crocs.

(They're a foam shoe that looks ugly, but feels and works great. Doesn't weigh anything, either. www.crocs.com)