Religious knot question

I stand corrected on the knot.

The point I was eluding to is that the religious awards programs are not BSA awards. They are religious awards for the great variety of denominations. Most of these awards are available by faith for the BSA, Girl Scouts, 4H, Camp Fire, and other church based youth groups, including Sunday School. The BSA recognizes the achievements of earning the awards, and allows for the wearing of the knot and devices.

The religious awards cannot be earned through a Cub Scout, Boy Scout, Venturing, etc activity, but are extracuricular (as it were) from Scouting. Therefore, no matter when they are earned, the knot may be worn from that point forward, whether earned as youth or adult, on that individuals uniform, regardless of position or division, as long as he/she is registered in Scouting.

Don't sweat it JD.

There are two places in the BSA program where earning a recognized religious award IS an advancement requirement.

The first comes from Cub Scouts: The Bear Program begins with 1 achievement for God. Requirement 2 is one of the two options of earning "one for God." Its wording is simple: "Earn the religious emblem of your faith."

The second is in Venturing: The requirements for the Religious Life bronze award start off with: 1) Earn your denomination's Venturing age religious award.

(Venturing Handbook (No. 33493), 1999 printing)

I had this discussion with my son's troop shortly after he joined. He was told that he would have to take his religous emblem knot off until he earned it as a Boy Scout. I talked to one of the district guys that I knew. He told me that it stayed on and then he told the SM the same. They thought that the only badge to move up from the Cub Scout uniform to Boy Scout uniform was the Arrow of Light.