Class A uniform vs Class B uniform

I am an assistant scoutmaster and my troop traditionally wears the class B (scout t-shirt) to all meetings, saving the class A uniform only for court of honors and parades. I have never seen this before and don't feel good about not wearing the class A uniform to meetings. I don't have the position to make the change. I have approached the SM and committee however didn't get a warm reception to changing to class A during the meeting. Are there any other troops that only wear the class A? Do other leaders find this unusual?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aaron,

Welcome, we are glad you are here. I know your post seems innocent enough, but I am afraid you are about to get a big lesson in correct BSA terminology and we can only hope that the uniform factions on this forum do not commence beating each other about the head and shoulder region with their epaulets.

In our troop, we generally wear the field shirt and pants/shorts (class A) to every meeting. That was a decision that the PLC made years ago. IMO, it should be the boys' (re PLC) decision, after their due consideration. If a boy shows up in 'street clothes', it is really no big deal - doesn't happen too often.

Again, welcome and stay awhile.(This message has been edited by SemperParatus)(This message has been edited by SemperParatus)

SP: I don't like "Class A" and "Class B" terminology either, but everybody uses them because they are a convenient shorthand. So will I, despite my concerns.

aaron: My son's troop uses Class As for all meetings, but they have a policy that during the summer months, Class Bs are the uniform of the day.

Makes for a nice compromise.

Aaron

What a unit wears should depend on the activity at hand. The BSA uniforms are designed for specific purposes, they are no always appropriate to wear but when worn should be done so correctly.

When you wear your t-shirt do you also wear BSA shorts, BSA belt, BSA socks? If not then you are not in any type of Scout uniform no matter what nomenclature you use.

The BSA has two troop uniforms.

BSA tan uniform shirt with red shoulder tab covers, BSA slacks or shorts, BSA belt, BSA socks (hat and neckerchief are optionsl)

And

BSA t-shirt or polo, BSA shorts, BSA belt, BSA socks.

Anything else is not being IN a Scout uniform.

You can find more on this in the BSA Insignia Guide, The BSA Boy Scout Handbook, The BSA uniform inspection sheet, BSA Scoutmaster Leader Specific Training.

I hope this helps answer your question.(This message has been edited by Bob White)

A slight correction to praiire scouters last post.

Not "acording to BSA literature" but according to the BSA, who has the sole authority to determine the BSA uniforms. The literatuire is simply a way to help communicate those policies. The paperwork is not the authority, the BSA is. It is an important distinction.

Of course, what is a "BSA t-shirt?"

At Jambo recently, I saw a youth with a solid blue t-shirt except for two simple words printed across the chest is block letters: "Scout related." I thought it was hilarious.

"Ummm, if you go to http://www.scoutstuff.org/ you will find the term "Class A" quite a bit! "

Really? Are you sure about that? If you look through the site you will find only 2 pieces of clothing labeled that way. The Cub Scout Leader yellow blouse and the Ladies green slacks. Other uniform pieces say 'official uniform'.

I even used the search engine provided and those were the only two pieces of clothing that came up.

Two pieces of clothing is "used quite a bit"?

Hunt, Yep

Prairie, you would be amazed by the number of people who think if they don't SEE the rule then the rule doesn't exist. My point was it is not the paper that makes it a rule it is the authority of the BSA that makes it a rule.

The official Scout field and activity uniforms are superb garments for Parlour Scouting. The fabric is absolutely perfect for Parlour Scouting, as is the construction, fit and finish.

I'm sure glad the Philmont shorts (made by Columbia) are Official Uniform tagged items (BSA RN 21328). Maybe its time to save my green items for Parlour events, and wear the good stuff the rest of the time.