Guess How Many Scouts were in Uniform at Campout this Weekend.

We were at a cub world campout sponsored by council. There were approximately 250-300 scouts there.

Take a guess at how many scouts either in percentage points or in actual numbers. Dont include the dozen or so volunteer Boy Scout troop running the programs.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because it was a Cub Scout function and to be "in uniform" for Cub Scouts includes the hat (for appropriate program - Tiger, Wolf, Bear or Webelos), neckerchief (appropriate program again), slide, shirt, belt, pants (or shorts), socks, appropriate shoes (leather or canvas only - neat in appearance), AND his membership card - I'd venture to say 0%.

Now, I admit, I don't recall if Cub Scouts has an activity uniform. That would allow for a change of shirts. But remember, during this time of year (I live in Michigan) many times the BSA uniform is not proper attire for the elements on a campout.

I am not talking full uniform with hat a kerchief. Just pants shirt and socks.

The answer somewher between 5-10 cubs were in uniform. 50 boys in my pack and my son was the only one in uniform. Very few adult leaders were in uniform as well. I wore the shirt. A few cubs were in the so called class B uniform maybe 15-20%.

What an opportunity missed. Imagine witnessing a sea of boyscout blue and thinking we are all in this togther. The uniform design was not the problem. I belive it is a leadeship problem starting at council. Why else would so many packs from different districts not feel the need to put scouts in unifrom?

(This message has been edited by Its Me)

EagleKy, the tigers were better at wearing their orange shirts, but the blue and tan Wolf, Bear and Weblos uniforms were scarce.

There were so few kids wearing partial or full inform that if you weren't looking you may not have found one. A stranger walking in would not have been able to tell that this was a scouting function.

"Very few adult leaders were in uniform as well. I wore the shirt." And you think the problem starts with the Council??

Also, you are either in uniform or not. A neckerchief, slide and hat are part of the Cub Scout uniform and are not optional.

Kids at this age emulate what they see. My biggest beef with Cub Scouts was not that they were wearing the shirt, neckerchief and hat but no socks and pants/short; it was that they would wear the shirt with the shirt tails out, patches in the wrong place, neckerchiefs secured by knots, etc. They were not shown to respect the uniform.

Heck, I try to get our troop committee to wear a uniform, as they should, for boards of review and they are worse than the kids. And then the adults wonder where the boys get the idea that the uniform is optional.(This message has been edited by acco40)

First we need establish that the very low number of Cub Scouts in uniform at a council campout is a problem. I say that it indicates a problem.

Second we need to look at the root cause of the problem. A single den leader wearing shirts but not a kerchief and socks is not the root cause.

Was the root cause the uniform cut or material?. In this case I don't think so. The temperatures were mild 75-82 during the day and mid sixties at night. We had perfect weather for cotton shirts and short pants (wool socks?).

Was the identification as a goody-two-shoe the issue? No again because they would have been around peers.

Was it a wayward pack here or there? No nearly all packs had little or no participation.

The root cause is at the council level, by not being adamant to the scoutmasters about wearing uniforms.

I would say that there could have been methods of encouraging uniform wearing such subtle reminders through emails or roundtable table discussions to have scouts in uniform at council event. Or some sort of trophies or first in line for chow or some other award to packs with the most uniform participation (broken down by size to be fair e.g. best pack under 20, over 50 ). I am sure there are other ways.

The root cause of this problem is much higher than just a den leader not in full uniform.

(This message has been edited by Its Me)

I would say the root cause was the parents not wanting the expensive uniform ruined on a campout. We went hiking this weekend and only 2 boys came in uniform. It was muddy and wet and only 2 boys out of the 6 that attended were in uniform. I don't hold it against the boys or council. I can't really blame the parents. Uniforms are too hard for us to come by to see them stained with red clay mud.

Kristi

Uniform Closet

c/o Kristi CAntor

PO BOX 1111

Kodak TN 37764

I was as guilty as many others were when I became a leader in my son's Pack. I wore the shirt, but I wore it with jeans. Like a lot of other people, I thought the scout pants were the ugliest pair of pants I'd ever seen. Two things changed me into a full uniform guy. One was that it really bothered me to go to den meetings, pack meetings and outings and see maybe 10% of the boys in ANY uniform piece. And unlike CajunCody's situation, these boys came from families who could easily afford it. I remembered when I was a Cun in the mid-60's and we always wore our uniform. Heck, my 3rd grade school photo was taken in my uniform. The other thing that switched me was going to Wood Badge and being required to wear scout pants. Once I bought a pair and tried them, I found them to pretty darn comfortable. WB was what got me into a pair, but it was actually the desire to set the example for the boys that really got me started. You'll never see me at a scouting event without a full uniform. I truely believe that the biggest problem with getting Cubs in uniform is at the unit leadership level. From my experience, the Cub leadership seem to think jeans are an official part of the uniform and the only encouargement they give to parents is to buy a shirt. It's a shame.

"The root cause is at the council level, by not being adamant to the scoutmasters about wearing uniforms."

Oh Please!!

When will adults take personal responsibility for their own actions? Why must it always be the "councils" fault when individuals fail to fulfill their obligation?

As a council trainer I have a responsibility to teach individuals the parts and purpose of the uniform. Are we now responsible for dressing volunteers in the morning as well?

Rather than blaming "council", how about placing the responsibility on the volunteer who made the personal choice not to wear the uniform?