I seem to have a difference of opinion with our committee chair as to the legitimacy of a service project. I wanted to do a free coffee break for travelers on the upcoming Memorial Day weekend at a intersection of the nearest interstate highway. The service would allow travelers to take a break from driving and make the roads a safer place. We would also promote scouting with a mock camp site. There would be no charge, but we would have a donation bucket if anyone wanted to contribute to the troop. Two deep leadership, like always, would be in place along with the buddy system. Does anyone know of a troop that has offered this service? Please respond.

My initial thought is that your project, while a nice gesture, does not fall into the category of community service. It sounds like something that would be appreciated by the travelers, but it could also be perceived as a fundraiser with the donations.

My idea of community service would include helping at the local food pantry, cleaning a cemetery, etc... doing something positive in the community.

I seem to remember seeing a Boy Scout Troop offering this very same type of service at one of the rest stops on Route 6, the main highway on Cape Cod. They've been there for a number of years doind this. I've never stopped to partake, but have seen them. I couldn't tell you whether it's being done as an Eagle Project (I doubt), a troop service project (perhaps), or in conjunction with another group. I seem to remember seeing a deuce & a half there periodically, so it may be done along side of a local National Guard Unit. There is a base on the Cape.

So, it is being done...at least in one place.

Sounds like a good troop service project, but I personally wouldn't approve it as an Eagle project either. The Eagle project should be of lasting benefit to the local community, school, or religious institution. I just don't think this is Eagle project material.

Sounds like a good troop service project, but remember US Scouting started with the lone scout who refused payment for a good deed, piquing Boyce's curiosity, etc, etc. If you want to have a tip bucket available, how about making up a sign that any donations would be donated to an organization such as MADD or a Children's Hospital or some other worthy cause. They you could help travelers and some other worthwhile charity.

I respectfully disagee with all that think that this is even remotely a service project. (as described) Yes, it is a nice gesture and I would consider it a good turn but not a service project.

I fail to see how a cup of coffee and a mock campsite constitutes service. Frankly, when someone gives me a free cup of coffe and invites me to look at their stuff I expect a sales pitch. "Friend, what can I do to put you into a Scout Troop today?" Don't mean to sound flippant but can anyone else see this?

I would consider it a sevice project if you actually did some driver safety education at the site other than Scout promotion. Perhaps you could urge drivers to obey the speed limits, wear seatbelts, drink responsibly, CALM DOWN ect. Put up displays or hand out leaflets. Your local law enforcement will have their hands busy but maybe you could get then to bring out one of the "convincers" the thingy that simulates a low speed collision.

One of the major principles of service is that it does not benefit Scouting. We do service for the sake of service and merely provide the hands to do the work. A job well done and a thank you is enough reward. NEVER would I put out a donation bucket for our Troop at a service project. That's called getting paid to do a job and it becomes a fund raiser not service.

You don't have service project yet but you do have an idea that with a little more thought can be a great project. What you do described is a Troop promotion and fund raiser.

I do agree with Mike Long regarding the sales pitch thing and the mock campsite. But I should mention that the location I mantioned on the Cape does not have a mock campsite set up. It seems to be strictly the service of providing the free coffee. They do seem to go that extra step to give drivers notice of what's ahead, for the mile or so before the rest area, they post signs on the side of the road advertising the free coffee and suggesting that, for safety's sake, drivers take a break, stretch their legs, and have a free cup of coffee. To me, that seems to spell "service project" as much as any project that I can recall. It's one that is long lasting, too. For they've been doing this year after year for some time now.

Thanks for the great input to my question. KL Wisconsin, I like your idea of donations supporting another worthy cause. Mike, thanks for thinking this through and your ideas are very helpful. JMcQuillan, if you run into that troop on the cape again, stop in and see how they do things.

Now, the other matter was a troop committe chairman dictating what the troop can and can't do. I thought it was his job to support what our scouts feel is a worthy project or trip, with our guidance , of course. My unit and District Commissioners feel the same way.

The Troop Committee Chairman's job is to coordinate the Troop Committee in it's efforts to support the Scoutmaster. The Scoutmaster is the "Man In Charge", not the Committee Chairman. The existence of the committee is simply to support the Scoutmaster. The Scoutmaster is the one who works with, and guides the Scouts, in determining what they will do and when. The Troop Committee, if trained, can have quite a bit of input if it sees things that are heading in a wrong direction, or if costs are prohibitive. Their job is to inform the Scoutmaster of those things and help the Scoutmaster (and therby the Scouts), plan alternatives, or alternative methods of raising funds, but not to set the direction of the troop. Troops are supposed to be BOY RUN under the guidance of the (trained) Scoutmaster.

The Committee SUPPORTS the Scoutmaster. Have the Committee Chairman read the Troop Committee Guidebook to see what his job, and those of all other adults in the troop, are. If the troop doesn't have that book, get one.

Hope this helps.

I'm glad that many of the regular posters in this site agree that the coffee break project at a rest area isn't a service project. But handing out leaflets encouraging safe driving makes it ok? I think that is setting the bar pretty low for community service.

All of us are travelers in one way, shape or form. Imagine pulling into a rest area to take a break and you encounter a bunch of Scouts, many under legal driving age, handing out leaflets encouraging you to drive safely. In my case, the leaflet would go in the first trash receptacle on my way to the bathroom. (Being a Scouter, I would have had a nice conversation with the boys and not been nasty about it, but the point is that they really aren't doing community service as much as they are getting in people's way with this sort of project).

Now, doing a spring cleanup of that same wayside or similiar park, etc. would constitute community service with no questions asked. There are many helpful, worthwhile projects where we as Boy Scout Troops can really make a difference. If I were in ASM7's troop, I would encourage raising the bar for community service and doing something where they can really help someone.

Ummmm....That was one item from a list that I would suggest ALL elements (and hopefully more) be present to elevate this to service project status in my opinion.

My intention was to provoke thought in hopes of building this idea into a great project. It appears that ASM7 has taken our advice and will build upon it, enough said.

As to setting the bar low for service projects I would like to invite you to come to North Florida and see some of the massive projects that I have personally planned or worked on, But I'm probably being a little hyper-sensitive on that. Sorry.

A further word about the role of the committee chair, and the committee in general. I agree that the general role of the committee is to oversee and support the troop's program. Hopefully that is more than just rubber stamping everything that comes before it. I don't see the committee chair as having any special powers except in three areas. First, as presiding officer at committee meetings the chair is a first among equals. The other two items are where committee chair signatures are required. I believe that is on the troop chartering document (it has been a few years since I signed one), and on the Eagle Scout Application (or is it the Eagle service project plan?). This last item is where the rubber meets the road on service projects. The committee chair should exercise independent discretion here. However, all differences of opinion should be ironed out well before the application is prepared by the applicant and submitted for signature. The process for Eagle gives the chair more than just a pro forma role.

I have to disagree with p_swigs. I find idea of coffee and information to travelors is ALWAYS helpful. This is often what states pay people to do in major reststops, so why would it be in the way?

As a community service project, is may be small, however it is the small things that make the differance. Opening a door, a friendly greeting, helping with a package. Do not forget, the service that started USA scouting would not be considered community service either by this persons standards.

There is nothing wrong with giving out information about scouting, or even the "mock camp site", especially for tourists, as long as it is not blocking travel from parking to the rest facilities.

Personally, I would eliminate the "donation bucket" altogether, as it would appear to be a fundraiser for scouting no matter what you put on it.

For many boys, this may be the first thing they have done for someone besides family. Give them the opportunity to start small. This particular service has been done by many groups, including Lions club, VFW, American Legion, etc. at various rest stops along I-80 in the last 10 years.

Paul Johnson

Lander, WY