Hello,

I havee been trying to find cheep campaign hats for the scouts of my troop. Knowing full well that they can not put down 50 or a 100 dollars. I ask if anyone knows any cheep places, or places that will give a scouting discout. Anything to tha effect. I have seen on the net hats as low as $29.00. If anyone knows any cheeper hats, feel free to respond to this post.

Nick

Troop 301

St. James NY

Nick:

I have two unofficial "cheap" Campaign Hats and one Official "BSA-expensive" one. The cheap ones are serviceable and look just like the old ones for boys. They are not the best made though. They are both "cock-eyed" by a few degrees when placed on my head, so they are not perfectly centered. You have to kind of tweak them by rotating them to the off side, if that makes sense. I don't have this problem with my BSA hat so I know my head isn't warped! The cheap ones have vinyl sweatbands that don't absorb moisture, they get a little slick if you sweat. The leather sweatband of the Official hat adheres to my head and has better form. I believe the cheap hats would do to inexpensively mass outfit a troop even though they are not official. They are certainly more traditional and in my opinion are a lot better than any "official" made up troop ball cap! You will trade a small degree of quality, but not enough to be uncomfortable, for the price. The cheap hats really are okay, but they are not excellent. Below are two of the least expensive sources I've found.

+Jim

Domine ad quem ibimus

http://www.vtarmynavy.com/campaign_hats.htm

MH-06 Campaign or Drill Sergeants hats. Made of wool felt. New. $29.95. Sizes available are 7,7 1/8,7 1/4,7 3/8,7 1/2,7 5/8,73/4. Secure online ordering

http://www.sierrasurplus.com/campaignhat.html

Scout Campaign Hat Price: $34.95

A standard of scouts for generations. We've chosen the highest quality 100% wool felt hats from Stacy Adams / Dorfman Pacific. Distinctive styling and the highest quality craftmanship. 4 indents- 3" brim -Olive drab

See Head Diameter Sizes: Small fits 21 1/8" to 21 7/8" Medium fits 21 7/8" to 22 5/8" Large fits 22 5/8" to 23 1/2" X-large fits 23 1/2" to 24

Check military surplus stores near your home. That's where I got mine, brand new, for just $32.00. Now, to make it look official, you'll have to get a BSA leather hatband, a chin strap, and the appropriate pin. Youth can use the metal First Class Scout pin, adults use the universal hat emblem. Those three things will add about $20 to the cost. What's more, if you want it to keep its shape, you'll have to buy or make a hat press. I think BSA charges $12 for theirs out of the catalog (I made mine with thick particle board and heavy duty m

I have been wearing a campaign hat for over 20 years as a scout and 15 years as a park ranger. Have the boys and adults get the cheaper hats and wear them all the time. I save my official BSA hat for meetings and wear the cheaper 29.00 one on camping trips, in the rain, snow, and was even thrown in a lake with it on. Look at the old picture of scouts and soldiers, the hats were crushed and floppy for a reason, they wore them. Good for you and keep on scouting!!!!!!

BPW

You mentioned in another post that you worked for a fedral agency and here that you are a park ranger. So do you work for th NPS? Where at? What is your specialty?

YIS,

ronvo

• 3 weeks later...

Hello. I have Stratton and Beaver Quality campaign hats available in Navy Blue for $19.99 each plus shipping. I have sizes in the 6 and 7 range. If you are interested please feel free to contact me directly. Thanks.

Correena

Are these navy blue campaign hats by any chance made for state troopers? I have no trouble with that. In fact, I think the price is probably reduced because of the number sold. Do you also sell the straw version. I dislike my BSA campaign hat simply because it is too hot. Are your hats also available in straw in olive? If so, I will buy one.

Unc.