• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the uniform! Sure it's a little pricey but it is comfortable! I strive to wear it correctly (setting the example stuff) and ask that the Scouts in my Troop do the same.

What still amuses me is while the uniforms is one of the methods of Scouting, it isn't required! Funny! Wonder why?

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

Angadir, what I believe you do not understand is that it is not within your power to "require" a shirt or to "not to require the full scout uniform." The BSA takes care of that in the program YOU signed up to deliver. The BSA uniform is what it is. The uniform (or uniforming?) is one of the eight methods of Scouting. A uniform is not a requirement. We do not have the power, as Scouters, to change that fact.

acco40,

I disagree. We as Scouter's DO have the power to change things. If we as Scouter's can't change things in Scouting, who can!

The uniform should be required!

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

A Charter organization has a responsibility to support the scouting program and its methods and policies. The Uniform is a method used for achieving the aims, and so like all the other methods, its use should be promoted and supported by the CO.

Can a CO require complete uniforms? Yes it can, but it should be considerate of the individual's resources when doing so. Be especially careful not to predicate advancement on uniform wear. That would be the same as adding a requirement, and that is not withing the authority of the CO.

More that most things, uniforming is a matter of setting expectations.

Our previous Cubmaster is a great guy and good friend, but he had a real thing about Scout pants. Apparently his kid blew the knees out of a brand new pair of pants (more of a problem with the kid than the pants, but that's another story). Whenever talking about uniforms, he would always add that the official pants are cheap and it's okay with him if you don't wear them. Knowing that he would be crossing over during the year, we intentionally cut him out of the uniforming discussion during last fall's round up. I asked another den leader who, like me, is a stickler for uniforms to do the talk. Lo and behold, half-way through the talk the old Cubmaster comes sprinting from the far side of the church yard to add his two cents regarding pants. Hopefully, as most were Tiger families, we'll get a second shot at them when the buy their blues this fall. I also take every opportunity to remind the boys that they need uniform pants. "Now that you are going to be a Webelos...." "Since you'll be crossing over next year...." etc.

Unfortunately, the old CM set a low/no expectation, it's an uphill battle to break a bad habit.

Ok i stand corrected, we didnt require the uniform, we asked the parents to try to at least get the official scout shirt or if they couldnt afford it we told them to go to walmart, get a red polo or tshirt and one of the BSA patches. Instant simulated scout activity shirt, just like in the catalog, but at less than $20. Our parents were good shoppers and all the scouts had regular scout shirts pretty quick, but council rules dictated that if a scout were going to go on an outing then they must be in some type of BSA uniform. As i said, we have come a long way, and i dont believe we have any problems with uniforms anymore.

"s. Instant simulated scout activity shirt, just like in the catalog, but at less than $20. Our parents were good shoppers and all the scouts had regular scout shirts pretty quick, but council "

I bought a 5 pack of "Universal Emblem" appliques for $5 at the Scout Shop. They have glue on the back but you can still sew them on. I bought a couple red, 100% cotton polo shirts and a long sleeved denim shirt at Khol's for about $15 each. 15 minutes of sewing and I had some cotton activity shirt and a nice looking informal scouting shirt.