"Can a CO require complete uniforms? Yes it can"

How can a CO require a complete uniform when BSA says that a uniform isn't required?

If the CO can require a uniform, can the CO say, "jeans are our official pants" or "our troop's uniform is a purple shirt and plaid pants"?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The chartered organization agrees to conduct the Scouting program according to the policies and guidelines of BSA. Requiring a uniform is certainly not in conflict with any part of BSA policies and guidelines, and certainly doesn't add to the the requirements. However, a CO requirement for purple plaid pants is unquestionably outside the BSA program.

There is no guideline that states the uniform IS required and by requiring a Scout to wear one for rank advancement is adding to the requirements which is not allowed.

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

"There is no guideline that says the uniform is not required."

BP himself said that lack of a uniform should not be a barrier to the Scouting experience.

Historically, BSA has adopted the same stance. In the 5th edition of the Handbook (p. 50), it says, "You do not have to have a uniform to be a Scout . . ." In no later edition of any handbook do I find a comment stating that a uniform is required.

Within the current SM handbook. It states that a uniform is not required to become a Scout. I believe that the BSA has left this vague enough so that families that can not really afford uniforms, are not left out of the scouting experiences. It is to bad that leaders have twisted this to mean that the uniform is not part of the BSA.

Mr. FOG and Mr. Ed, the both of you are full of prunes!

It is absurd to assert that there is no BSA guideline to wearing the uniform. Method number 8 of the 8 BSA methods of Scouting is THE UNIFORM. I cannot comprehend how two persons that purport to be adult leaders in this movement can publicly dismiss one of the eight methods of Scouting by saying something as inane as there is no guideline to wear the uniform!

"Wearing the uniform helps boys develop a sense of belonging to their patrol and troop. It reinforces the fact that all members of the BSA are equal to one another. People seeing a boy in a Scout uniform expect someone of good character who is prepared to the best of his ability to help those around him."

FScouter ranted in his confusion, " Method number 8 of the 8 BSA methods of Scouting is THE UNIFORM."

Sounds like you are the one who doesn't understand the program. Methods are not requirements. Just as you cannot force a Scout to advance and you can't force him to hike and camp, you can't require the uniform.

What part of BSA's statement that a uniform isn't required has slipped past your comprehension?

dan said, "It is to bad that leaders have twisted this to mean that the uniform is not part of the BSA."

Who has said that it isn't part of the BSA?

Gee, thanks a bunch mr. fog for clearing up that confusion. Somehow I got the mistaken impression that wearing the Boy Scout uniform was somehow related in some way to the Boy Scout program. I guess that method number 8 of the 8 methods of Scouting (THE UNIFORM) doesn't have anything to do with wearing a uniform after all. Thanks for all you do for the Scouting movement, and in educating Scouters everywhere that the Boy Scout uniform is not part of the Boy Scout program. Now excuse me and I'll run right out and get the purple plaid pants you recommended.

OK let me see if I can make this clearer than Fat Old Guy has.

Is a uniform required by the BSA? NO

Is the uniform one of the Eight Methods of Scouting? YES

Is FScouter starting to sound like Bob White? YES

I hope that helps!

I will be out of here till June. Family vacation.

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

Excuse me Mr. Persnickety. Youre the one making the claim that BSA has a guideline that says no uniform is required. That erroneous claim is totally off base and anyone pushing that point of view is not supporting the aims and methods of Scouting.

Ed, theres no need requirement to follow the Scout Oath, or use the patrol method, or have outdoor activities, or compete rank requirements either. Theres no requirement to be a Boy Scout either. So whats your point?

FS - Actually, for advancement, there are requirements for the items you mentioned. Now, if a boy doesn't want to advance, but just "hang out", then I guess you are correct.

I'm a uniform bigot. I believe in the method and try to enforce it in every way. I expect (nice word for require) Scouts to wear the uniform. I've never sent a scout home for not wearing a uniform, but then again, I've never had a scout not show up in uniform without a reasonable excuse. I believe if we set our expectations high, encourage them to live up to them, and set the example as leaders, the uniform problem mostly goes away.

As for a requirement for wearing a uniform. I believe the Scout Spirit requirement certainly applies. If you have a scout who doesn't want to wear the uniform - for whatever reason (other than financial) - I think you can approach it from the stance of it not demonstrating scout spirit in his actions.