Forgive the hour but the flu isn't allowing me to sleep very comfortably.

OK so here is my flu induced plan. Since some scouters have difficulty remembering the current color system I recommend we base the tab colors on the initials of the program...

Cubs-Crimson

Boy Scouts- Burnt Sienna

Varsity- Vermillion

Venturing- Violet

District/Council-Deep Coral

National- Neutral

Plan-B would be to have any one who is unfamiliar with the meaning of the color shoulder tabs to ask the wearer or another person in uniform what they mean. I know Plan-B soumds nuts, but I am under the weather at the moment as well as sleep deprived.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sleep deprived or too much cold meds? ;) Just Kidding!

86 plans A & B.

Go to Plan C:

Follow the Colors set up by the Service Star Backings.

Or Plan D:Yak_Herders Sugestion earlier in this thread.

I think the redundant Venture Sholder patch is just another way for "Them" to squeeze a few extra dollars out of us.

Why don't they ever ask "The Field" about what we think would work?

The Ivory Tower at its best!

"Why don't they ever ask "The Field" about what we think would work?

And there is the rub. You have assumed two things that are incorrect.

1-That there decision was made without the input of front line volunteers.

2-That there is an ivory tower.

First, there are too many things going on in the BSA for the professional staff at the National headquarters to do it all. Every scouting division is made up of volunteer committees, some with as many as 100 members, made of scouts and scouters from across the country. They make the decisions, the professional staff enacts those plans. You probably have volunteers in your council who participate on these committees, you just don't know it. This is a common them and us attitude and it is groundless.

Next the Ivory Tower. Next time you are in Irving, Texas vist the National BSA Headquarters, believe me it is no ivory tower.

The more you learn about the scouting program the more you will realize it is not them and us. It's just us.

Bob White

"Go to Plan C:

Follow the Colors set up by the Service Star Backings."

That would have made sense about 20 years ago. As I recall, the tassles on the sock garters followed the service star backings. However, bigger minds than ours made the decisions and we showing disloyalty by voicing our opinions.

"-That there [sic] decision was made without the input of front line volunteers."

With the "firm guidance" of the professionals.

Still waiting for an explanation of the purpose of the "Venturing patch" on the right sleeve.(This message has been edited by Fat Old Guy)

Hopper said, "I saw on Cops today that the police department they were following had on green shoulder loops similar to what Venturers wear."

You should know that they Army uses (or used to use. who can keep track) green loops for combat leaders.

Bob White opined without answering the question, "It is the emblem of the program affiliation and can be worn on the right sleeve of any Venturing uniform"

Doesn't the "Venturing, BSA" strip serve that function on the green shirt?

I'm just guessing, but I'll take a shot at the big white patch (BWP).

The Venturing Crew, unlike a Scout Troop is the basic unit. Since a rough equivalent to a patrol does not exist in Venturing, and the program "designers" seem to like it that way, they took a pro-active measure to stiffle any such development by putting a BWP over the area. The BWP inhibits the impulse of a leader with a Scouting background from forming patrols by eliminating one of the tools used to build patrol unity, the patrol patch.

I haven't seen any critters in Venturing. I have seen a few custom unit patches put there in place of the BWP. Maybe they figured if they made the BWP just obnoxious enough that we would go to work creating our own unit patches. There's a win-win in there somewhere.

"And there is no internal affairs department of the BSA -- I made that up."

you fools: they are real and the agents very simply to identify, they are men in their lat3 50's to early dead, they all have graying beards and balding heads, normaly have the standard OA gut and go by names like FOG. be aware they are the agent smiths of the BSA they report directly to big brother and shall destroy you all

seriously, i like the idea of using black for funerals, i had never heard of that before, perhaps i shall have to make a pair for myself, another thing i have seen is one red and one green on the khaki shirt, ach, no never, or a red with a single angle bar in white for aquatics staff at a camp, and correct me if im wrong but doesnt venturing allow for for uniform to be defined by the crew through the bylaws, and therefor use what ever loops they want?

Sturgen, you broke my cover. Now you're going to have to "vanish."

"correct me if im wrong but doesnt venturing allow for for uniform to be defined by the crew through the bylaws, and therefor use what ever loops they want?"

You're wrong but you could be right. If a Crew wears the official BSA Venturing uniform, they have to take it all. Pants, shirt, loops, etc. However, if they chose another uniform like your basic pilot shirt with epaulets and blue pants, they could wear any loops they wanted.

I work on a camp staff and we use silver loops on the kaki uniforms. When I first started on staff we were all registered as explorers in addition to our regular unit registrations, now we register as ventures. At one time we had a set of green uniforms that we used for flags but we stopped doing that a few years ago.