Red Wool Jacket

I have a new Jac-Shirt, on which I sewed all of my patches from when I was a Scout in the mid-seventies. I was approaced by our Unit Commissioner, who informed me that this would be okay IF the Jac-Shirt did not also have the BSA insignia on the front shirt pocket. According to him, that insignia makes it part of the uniform. Off it came.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

http://www.bemidjiwoolenmills.com/details.php?id=voyscout   Voyageurs Scout Jacket $162 A hurly burly classic with slanted slash pockets and tailored styling. This jacket's generous fit, substant

I think that if the insignia guide was carefully read, especially those who are certified patch police officers, it would be discovered that it states that it provides information as to where specific

I wear a red Pendleton jacket that has two patch breast pockets and two slit lower pockets. In the many years I have been wearing it, no one has ever commented or even noticed that it's not a BSA jac-shirt.

As far as cleaning wool...

Soap and agitation do the most "damage" when cleaning a wool garment. This Christmas I received a pair of slippers that were HUGE! The gal that gave them to me said they needed to be felted. Okay, I'm game.

She put them in the washer with a bit of soap and ran the agitator cycle over and over again for about 20 minutes. She'd drag the slippers out, measure them against my feet and toss them back in. Finally she said they were "done" and pressed (not wrung) out as much water as possible. Then she air dried (over the next 3 days, no hot air, no moving air, just regular temperature calm air) until they were finally ready to be worn.

I do not live in a carpeted house, everything is wood, vinyl or tile. I also live in Wisconsin and I can't wait to get home and put my slippers on!

Depending on how close of a fit the coat may be, I would not put it in a washing machine with agitator on.

Of course one must also know the makeup of the "wool". It is pure wool? Is it a blend 15% nylon, 85% wool? etc. All these factors play into whether or not the coat will retain it's original size.

The gal gave me felted mittens and wool socks and my hands and feet NEVER get cold anymore. Slippers this year and she asked me what I needed next and of course, stocking cap came to mind immediately!

Stosh

I was approaced by our Unit Commissioner, who informed me that this would be okay IF the Jac-Shirt did not also have the BSA insignia on the front shirt pocket.

Did you ask to see his Uniform Police Badge? Of all the things a UC can and should be doing for a unit, I don't think this is one of them.

I just found an interesting reply to a question about the Philmont Bull being worn on the Rad Jac Shirt:

Boy's Life Magazine, March 1971.

Question from reader:

Dear Brainy Buckaroo: What are the rules about the black bull patch you get at Philmont? ... Jim Bordenave, Concord, Calif.

Reply:

You can buy and wear the bull patch on your red wool jacket above the left pocket if you have spent at least one night at the Philmont Scout Ranch and Explorer Base. UU

I thought that one had to do more then that to earn the bull..

• 8 years later...

I think that if the insignia guide was carefully read, especially those who are certified patch police officers, it would be discovered that it states that it provides information as to where specific patches may be worn and not what can be placed on your jacket. There are no rules or guidelines as to what can be placed on the jacket, and you can wear whatever you want on your red jacket.

• Upvote 1