Son's patches magically reappear!

Hi- I've tried to get the word out to all of you-thanks for your generous offers- but my son's patches mysteriously reappeared a couple days after they disappeared. One of our scout leaders told me that they had similar things happen at summer camp- boys knives would appear to have been stolen and then magically reappear. He suspects some of the older kids are up to some pranks. So thanks for your kind offers to send patches- but he has his back and he's happy as a clam!

I love the way some Scouts never lose anything.

Everything they are unable to find is stolen.

I have lost count of the times a Lad has informed me that someone has stolen his : Underwear or socks.

When we discuss the matter and I point out that I really don't think that anyone is going to intentionally steal the missing item, things tend to be looked at in a different light.

We got home last Wednesday on Saturday a Jamboree parent E-mailed me to inform me that her son had lost the bag with his dirty laundry in. I don't know why she waited so long? On Sunday I went to camp where we unloaded the equipment and there was the bag full of smelly dirty gear.

I am glad that your son has his patches back.

Eamonn.

Eamonn, your post really hits home. On one of our campouts, a 15 year old Scout (Star) started accusing about half of the troops Scouts of stealing his $5. After overhearing him accuse a few Scouts I went over to him and asked him to explain. He said he was sure he had $5 in the front pocket of his jeans and now it wasn't there. Well, lo and behold, about two hours later he came to me and said he found the missing bill. I asked him where it was and his reply was that he looked in his RIGHT front pocket but later on on a whim looked in his LEFT front pocket and there it was! I explained to him the damage he may have done by accusing so many of theft but I really think it all went over his head.

The night before we left the National Jamboree, we packed up our tents, tarps, gear etc. and slept out under the stars - ready for an early morning departure. I used an old plastic table cloth for a lost and found of troop items. I had at least ten council made Jambo t-shirts, three 2005 Jambo t-shirts, two pair of scout pants and a treasure trove of water bottles, and miscellaneous stuff. I repeatedly asked the boys to claim them and all insisted it was not theirs. Some actually had names on the items and the boys were still reluctant to take them (they would have had to open their bags, put the stuff in and zip them back up a VERY laborious chore! ;-)

Kids, always accusing others of theft and I sure can tell who paid for their belongings!

I wish I had a dime for every time a boy left something somewhere and then accused somebody of "stealing it". I'd be a wealthy man today. I also am glad that your son got his patches back.

We had a boy in our Jambo troop who wanted to report to headquarters his missing wallet. I told him that it had been my experience in the past that if scouts would go back into their tent and look around just one more time, they usually find the missing item. He went back in and came out with his wallet in his hand.

We had a boy from Jambo who DID leave his wallet on a plane and realized it after we had trekked to another terminal for a connecting flight. No sooner had he told us and we were going to report it at the gate counter, we heard an announcement for him to come to the gate we were standing at. An airline employee presented him with the wallet he left behind. You should have seen the scout blush and thank the employee repeatedly.

Ron came out to Summer camp just fuming. His son had reported to him that stuff was stolen so Ron wanted to get to "the bottom of it". We all realigned our camp chairs to watch him as he went over to his son's tent, one with sidewalls and on a platform, to begin the search. We told him that he needed to start there and work his way around the outside the tent to solve this mystery. Thirty minutes later, the booty was recovered. He was scooping up and stacking arm loads of things that were piled inside the tent and that had fallen all around the outside. Later that evening, we were treated to another amusing event as his son prepared to go on his overnighter. As he left camp, several more stolen items were falling out of his pack as he marched off. We flipped a coin to see who would call Ron back.

FB