Stiffening Up Patches

I'm a sucker for old council patches, but they lose their shape and it looks horible when I get the patch out and it flops like a fish, I have been tempted to startch the things but am hesitant, is there a reason why I should not do this?

gosh its good to see some of us still have a sense of humor...

I tried to be the first to do the 'blue pill joke' but I couldn't get the post to 'take"...but it is still good!

just remember after using the blue pill packing the patch away might be... er... problematic...

I tried this once with some council strips. What happens is you get this semi-translucent white coating on the patch, and it looks terrible. Plus it still has puckering if the patch has been washed and there is any twill exposed (that is, the patch is not 100% embroidered).

I've had success with Woolite. I add Woolite to water. Let the patch soak for five minutes. If dirty, I will lightly rub the patch with my fingers. Take it out and blot it with paper towels. Then I lay out three paper towels and place the patch on it. On top of that I will put another 3 paper towels. On top of that I will place a heavy book. Let it dry for several hours that way. Then I take the book and top paper towels off and let it air dry. I've done this with 40 year old patches and they come out great. The Woolite improves the colors by cleaning them (you can tell by the dirty water)and the fibers seem to puff up a little making the patch look wonderful. I've never had any residue.