what to do with leftover supplies from Eagle project

Seems folks are pretty much on the right track but are missing something here - just one little tweak that might make it all fall into place.

According to the latest Eagle Scout Service Project Workbook, which includes the rules for fundraising, all money left over, regardless of the source, goes to the beneficiary. Since the fundraising application is also required for securing donations of materials, it's reasonable to conclude that surplus materials should also go to the beneficiary.

The Scout has asked the beneficiary if they would like the materials - I think that's only half the question - there's one more question to ask that I think will take care of the ethical quandry here. I'd suggest having the lad ask the beneficiary this question:

"Since you do not want the leftover materials, will you approve of them being donated to Habitat for Humanity (or other worthy charity - maybe one the beneficiary supports themselves - it's not unusual for non-profits and churches to support other non-profits or ministries) in your name?" My guess is that he'll be greeted with a "What a wonderful idea, why don't you donate in our name and make sure they know its from your Eagle Scout project" kind of answer.

If the beneficiary says no, then I think you can feel free to donate to whomever you wish - but I would donate it to a charity and get a receipt.

Yeah, I suppose being in construction I see this a bit differently. There is the ethical question and the practical question.

Absolutely, the Scout should run down the list and try to dispose of the materials properly. He's done that. No one on the list wants them, which is, in part, what has me wondering what the material is, specifically. If it's $100 for neatly stacked, full-length composite decking materials, that could be useful for something else. On the other hand, if it's a few 2x4s, a 2x10 and a half, an opened box of nails and some galvanized bolts, it is highly probable that this stuff will collect dust somewhere for a while then get tossed. (This from a guy in the midst of a major clean-out of his shop.)

Truth is, $100 of surplus building materials isn't much. Storage, transportation and time dealing with it can very quickly be more than $100.

It's not that there is anything wrong with giving the material to the council camp, it's that unless the camp is very nearby, it's likely not worth the effort. Our camp is about 90 minutes away. That turns into a half-day to drive down and a back. I'm not making he trip for $100. And if you told the ranger "you can have it if you come get it" any one want to make bets on a camp ranger spending the time and gas to pick up $100? And have you ever seen the amount of donated crap typically stacked around the ranger's compound? Even our local Habitat Restore is picky about what they'll accept.

Kudos to the Scout for being this conscientious. He's fulfilled his obligations to both the donor and the beneficiary. Now apply a little rational thought to the process as well. Just because the junk was donated to an Eagle project doesn't make it sacred. Junk is still junk.

Money Left Over...Rules covered

Materials....Not Really Covered..

Materials in regards to Project..Planning Correctly or Inappropriately...

Example Build a Local Dog House for Humane Society

Plan for 2 Dog Houses which would require 5 Sheets of 3/4 Plywood...might Miss Cut so you buy 6..or Plan wrong thinking you need 20 per house and have 35 Left Over plus 1000 lbs of Nails 600 Squares of shingles and 3000 2x4s which coincides with the needed Materials to build the New Tree house in his Backyard he always wanted..

The OP claims the Beneficiaries was approached and afforded the chance to claim left over Materials. They did not want it, so it is up to the Scout what he does with it.. Personally I say have him check his receipts that he paid for and return everything he can that he paid for outta pocket. As Long as he did not intentionally deceive anyone in his fund raising in order to profit he is not in the wrong

Hey all, thanks for the feedback.

From what I've been told, I think this is along the lines of what Twocub is envisioning - a few leftover boards and a couple half-used boxes of nails or screws. Not a lot of material, as I understand it. Right now, it is clutter in somebody's barn and the guy wants it gone. The scout really was trying to do the right thing, but it seems to not be enough material to be really attractive to anybody as a donation. And I think he's also interested in just wrapping it up and being done. Good lesson, though, just because the flashy build-it part of a project is done, doesn't mean you're finished with all the loose ends.

Somebody suggested that maybe he check with the next couple of guys in the troop who are getting ready for their Eagle projects now, to see if they can use the material. Seemed like a good option, too. Calico, I'll suggest to this boy that if another scout could use it, then he see whether the beneficiary is ok with that and maybe just get it taken care of that way.