Blue Card to be Updated in 2012

The unit enters the data to Scoutnet, then takes printout to local council. The council releases the report once the actual record is received there and theoretically checked for accuracy. At least that is how it happens here. If a unit does not enter the data, then the council cannot release the report until it IS entered, which could cause a delay, perhaps a big one in a large council. Units are SUPPOSED TO be entering the data directly in order to allow the relatively quick release of the report.

I have not tried to obtain any additional out of council info since a year ago, as I have had no need. But, when I did, as I said, it was immediately downloaded to me, and once the transfer application (still need to fill out one, not just a transfer sheet)is entered in your council, then the info is moved to your unit. At least that is how it went with ours. If it has since changed, I would think that is a reversal of the intent.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Skeptic,

I'm out in the boonies where in some locales it can take hours, yes HOURS (emph.) to download something because all that is available is dialup. So the majority of the the units still send in the advancement reports for the council to record.

Give you an example, at a meeting we were doing YPT online with one person logged in, and everyone else watching the 30 minute video. It took over 4 hours to download the video.

I didn't know how bad the advancement records situation was until I became a commissioner this year. Now I'm doing IA, but the advancement person cannot do on her computer b/c of the dialup..

Forgot there are still areas like that. Even in 29 Palms where I have my boyhood house that is now an occasional vacation place, they have easy access to dsl or cable, and I suppose satellite. If I carried a laptop, I could easily get on-line there if I wanted; and I occasionally go to the library to check email if I am there for a few days. Hopefully soon that will not be a real issue anymore, as the process works well for those of us that use it. Good luck.

Yep it's bad in some locales, and the telecommunications companies don't help. I have friends who had begged for service and the companies essentially said not enough users to warrant the upgrade.

Several cities in similar situations, where part of their communities didn't have high speed internet, decided to create their own internet companies. What's cool withmy city is that they focused the infrastructure in the high need areas, after government offices of course, then moved to the areas that did have access to high speed internet. They were so successful, and the prices so good, that people were demanding that they speed up the infrastructure process so they could get the service. The city had several sets of goals, including a 12 or 24 month subscriber goal, that they exceeded in 6 months. I was a subscriber, and will be resubscribing shortly, and the service IS that good.

Bad part was that they only offered package deals: internet, telephone and cable TV altogether, and you couldn't ala cart it. Which is why I switched. Now they offer a 2 package deal, so I will be going back.

The telecommunication companies were so ticked off, specifically Time Warner Cable and Century Link, they got legislature passed to to prevent the city telecommunication companies from expanding outside the city limits and current areas in service.

Good news is that to keep subscribers, the big companies have to offer cheap rates, cheaper in fact than other areas.