who can sit on a tenderfoot board of review?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

>True story that happened to one of my Scouts. Didn't realize that he was still a First Class Class until after his EBOR and council rejected it b/c he never earned Star or Life.

It happens a lot and it is a lot of grief for the Scout and his family. But what also happens a lot is the boy isn't even registered. Someone didn't file the paperwork and they don't catch the problem until he goes for his Eagle. Often the entire unit isn't rechartered and none of their boys are actually advancing because they are not registered. Happens too much.

With the new online advancement the unit finds out pretty quickly if their charter hasn't been posted (no Scouts show up) or if a Scout is missing (he doesn't show up.)

Avoiding the process causes grief. Don't avoid the process.

PS: Look at my profile, whomever Bob White was, he ain't me.

Now, what you receive is what is typical on this forum, folks picking and choosing what BSA "rules" they feel are important and what they feel may be ignored "for the good of the boys." Boy can I predict the future.

A Scout should be recognized three times for each advancement. First, right after (minutes after) passing his BOR. Second, the next troop meeting, after the troop has gone to the council shop and purchased his rank badge (stockpiling can be done, stockpiling may not be done) and third at the next COH.

Why all this rationalization on why not to follow the program?

1 someone said that if an adult goes to summer camp they are automatically made a member of the troop committee. How does that work out if they have to fill out an application & do Youth Protection Training? That doesn't seem very automatic.

2 Scout received his Tenderfoot rank badge tonight, and is all excited and happy. Helped an older scout with some of his stuff in Tenderfoot, so he didn't just get the book signed, he knows the stuff well enough to teach it. :) Yeah!

3 Yes our troop has a bit of a stockpile of badges. BUT advancement forms are turned in to council regularly, usually once a month or every 2 months.

4 Interesting about Internet Advancement. Troop hadn't done internet advancement yet, even though my pack had been using it for 5 years when it first started being advertized. So everyone was all excited to see the Advancement recorded at council for all the scouts when we first logged on.

So first time log on, load roster, and the ONLY boys with any ranks or merit badges showing are the ones who have earned Eagle. The rest, blank?

Asked at council, they showed me the file cabinet, and the chunk of advancement forms for our troop. and explained that they didn't have enough personel to actually enter any of those ranks into scout net. So they just file the forms.

They explain that when a scout gets close to Eagle, they ask for scanned copies of his rank cards and cards for merit badges (not the blue cards, the merit badge award cards). and they MAY pull the advancement forms if they can find them in the troop, and they go thru and enter his info into Scout net at that time.

So now my goal is to make sure everything the troop has from Troopmaster is uploaded to council-- some we could upload automatically, but a few scouts it kicks out, or only takes part of their advancement for some reason. so we spent a lot of time entering, then auditing to compare, then entering the missing data. still have a couple scouts who have to upload their data, cause they weren't on the torop roster, even though they thought they were--they were transferred to the crew instead of dual-registered in the crew I think.

5. wish the new ACP&P book would be out before Fall. Getting it out before the "new year" starts, when we have down time over hte summer to read it all and discuss and train people on the changes would be nice.

5year - that is a lousy way to run the advancement at your council.. Our council may loose training on the adults, and the info on who the MBC's are, but they treat the scouts advancement respectfully..

They did push for people to work with the on-line, because of a 6 month backlog, but until on-line was started I never noticed the backlog, so I don't know if something else around that time took presidence for our registrar.. On occasion their may have been one or two meritbadges missed, but very few data entry errors given the bulk of their load..

I end up re-keying in the ones for our unit, (double work because their is no way to download them to me, even in excel).. I go cross-eyed, for just one district, I am glad I don't have to do all 9 districts.. I am sure there is some data error also. I am glad I only do it for statisical purposes, because those boys would be in sad shape if they counted on me.. So I can see a few errors on our registrar's part, and they are quickly fixed.

I pity the scout who looses his cards in your council.. What happens if his house burns down, and he did not have the forethough to rescue the BSA advancement cards?

I know some people through the on-line system have back entered some missed MB's or ranks that either they forgot to give council, or it was a keying error at council.. In fact this is how my husband who is the district advancement chair instructs them to do..

I would get your troop to bite the bullet and have them use the on-line to correct your scouts advancement records themselves. Then continue to enter them through On-line.

Forgot this one advancement situation. Knew one council where the registrar didn't put in the date the awards was earned, but the date she entered it into the records at the council office.

Me personally, I advise units, especially packs, to get a small "war chest" of ranks because I know first hand, both as a former Scout Shop employee as well as a unit leader, that there are runs on advancement during certain times of the year, and advancement may not be availble. Having been one of those Cubs who as unable to get his rank when he was suppose to, not having rank to hand out is a pet peeve of mine.

I don't know how long the council has not been entering advancements, it may only be a year, but with a large council that ends up being a LOT of advancment sheets. and once you get behind it's a booger bear to get caught up.

I know the name has to match exactly and the Date Of Birth. some scouts their applications spelled out their whole middle name, but whoever entered them at council only put the middle initial, so all of their records wouldn't upload from troopmaster. but there are some records where it took some of the merit badges uploaded from troopmaster and some of them didn't go thru.

We've got everyone except a couple of stragglers on internet advancement. so if a scout in our unit looses his cards, we got it covered. and I've helped a couple other units get started on internet advancement.