Crossing without AOL

"June 1 is the de facto date that scouts complete the grade in SCOUTNET." Good to know in case we can't get it done before then.

Interesting note: The WDL for one of the boys (the one with nothing signed in his book) called me when he found out he had been working with us on AOL and was almost done. He made some comment about it cheapening the accomplishments of all the other boys. I explained that;

1. I had the approval of the packs's CC and CM to help this boy and they will submit the advancement to council.

2. It was his job to make sure all Webs are ready to cross, including AOL.

3. The pack's policy is that parents can sign off on advancements, which they did for the Web badge although the boy never received it, and your ACM is signing off on the AOL requirements.

4. Feel free to complain to anyone who will listen!

5. Go pound sand.

Question -- for those of you who advocate long-term status as a "troop visitor" what's your limit on that? I can see giving that a wink and nod in a special circumstance for a short period of time, but it seems to me there is a point at which you are simply subverting membership requirements.

E732's special needs kid who was ignored by his WDL is certainly a reasonable exception. Same for a kid who has been a cub for 5 years, just missed a couple AOL requirement and turns 11 in a month or two. But I would not be comfortable making an exception for a fourth-grade 10 year old with no Cub Scout experience.

'732

Yes it does cheapen the rest of the Webelos Den's accomplishment because the Cub with Disabiities had to overcome both his disability and the WDL who did not work with him. IMHO it would not have been as big a deal if WDL did not interfere. So it's the WDL's own fault.

BRAVO TO YOU, YOUR ACM, AND ESPECIALLY THE CUB!

And yes that is shouting at ya! ;)

2Cub,

That question will probably get a variety of answers. I personally do not see the orignial situation as playing loose with the rules for several reasons

1) Webelos are suppose to visit and work with troops

2) He is registered with the pack and is working with a pack leader

3) He was done a grave disservice by the WDL.

The pack's policy is that parents can sign off on advancements . . .

That is one of my pet peeves with some Scouters. They feel they have the authority mold the program the way they want using such rationalization reasons as "it's for the boys" or other nonsense.

For starters, I believe the joining requirement also states "...or have completed the 5th grade." We had unique situation last year. A week after crossover (first week of March), 5th grade boy wanted to join the pack. The boy and father were very interested. Unfortunatley there was little for this scout to do in a den which had already completed their Webelos Badge, and with an absolute minimum of 6 months required to earn the Webelos badge and the AOL, this boy had no chance to get the AOL. He ended up joining the pack (den) which was only meeting once or twice a month at this point. He attended a few den meetings, but he also attended (always accompanied by his father) some troop meetings and joined the troop (along with his father) for its April and May campouts. He followed all the appropriate rules as a visiting Webelos (which is exactly what he was). In June, he finished the 5th grade, joined the troop, and went with us to summer camp; he joined us to our second camp in July also.

It was not the ideal situation, but it was entirely within the guidelines of scouting. Had he not attended campouts in April and May, he would not have been prepared to camp with us in June or July. He has become an active scout, and his father is now our troop Chaplain. I would not want to handle every scout this way, but in this case it worked out for the best.

Twocubdad, to answer your question as to how long we should allow long term visitation my answer would be the minimum needed to get the boy legal to join, either by completing AOL or the completion of 5th grade. I wouldn't think that this should exceed 3 months.

I would let 5th graders be troop visitors if they attended the troop spring recruiting night, whenever that was.

If they showed up in March, I'd likely go for that, too.

Boys that age aren't likely prospect for Cub Scouts, so I'd carry them a few months as needed until they met eligibility requirements.

And I'd explain that to boys and parents so they would understand any limitations.

If it was November or December, I'd point them towards a pack with a Webelos II program.