Eagle Scout ceremony as a part of a regular court of honor

Has anyone out there ever done an Eagle Scout court of honor the same night as their troop's regular court of honor where all of their other Scouts will get recognized with the items they have earned since the troop's last court of honor.

My troop has never done this before but looks like we will be doing it on August 30, 2010 for the troop's 2 newest Eagle Scouts.

Yes. This is what they want. I and my troop are in western Kentucky. These 2 Eagles are brothers who had their boards of review on June 15, 2010. Right after their boards of review, their family moved to Massachusetts due to their dad having a change in jobs. However, they are keeping their home in Kentucky and are going to be in the area during the week of August 30.

My "mother Troop" in Michigan has done this for the last 42 years (and some 250+ Eagles). It has always worked well, and it just means keeping the program focused, and "moving along." The SPL serves as Master of Ceremonies.

My son's troop had one the first year he joined, there was one eagle scout recognized. It was still a 'dinner affair' but included regular rank advancements, my son got his scout recognition there.

Ususally there are 2 or more eagle scouts combined in a ceremony and there just isn't time to include the 'regular' advancement recognitions.

While my troop does have a history of having a separate ECOHs, one Eagle did want his ECOH the same nite as a reguallry scheduled COH. So we had 2 COHs, one after the other. The scheduled COH was first, and while we didn't rush it, we did keep it focused and to the point. Then we did his ECOH. It was a simple affair,with no "roasting" of the Eagle, no guest speakers , no extra awards, etc. both event s were KISS event.

If that is what the Eagles want, then by all means respect their wishes.

While I'm going to take flak for this: Isn't Eagle just another rank advancement? So be it the highest, but isn't the fanfare of celebration by the families and not the COH?

Remember, just as many couples get divorced who were married at the courthouse as those who spent $25,000 on the event. Maybe it would be a good time to evaluate the Bridezilla attitude we have towards the Eagle rank.

While we have moved the date for the COH to accommodate the family so that relatives and friends could travel, our COH this last time was unique in that while the one boy reached Eagle rank, his brother got Tenderfoot. Another brother (Life) was the MC. Another boy reached the rank of Eagle as well and the families hosted a VERY nice reception following. It was a great time for everyone, the boys got rank, one aged out the other is still working with the troop as he always had.

Eaglezilla doesn't seem to ring as well as Bridezilla, but I'm sure the point is understandable.

Stosh

Twice in my history with the troop we have done this. Both times in conjuction with our June CoH and BBQ. The first time we had 4 boys who had progressed through the ranks together from Tiger. The each earned their Eagle at different times but wanted to celebrate together with the whole troop. In both cases we had boys who just weren't into all the fanfare and wanted to keep it simple. Both times we treated it the same as another rank with just a few additions like the Eagle oath and giving the boys a moment to speak if they desired.

Every troop has its own customs and traditions. Some troop have it as part of their regular COH, others have special ECOHs. Some units have individual ECOHs, while others will have one huge ECOH once a year for all of their Eagles. Some have indoor ECOHs, while others do outdoor. And one ECOH I wish I could gone to, I was not available that nite, was done where his Eagle project was done at: a sheltar at a local nature preserve.

So do what you and more importantly your Eagles want.

Our troop started this a few years back and I don't care for it all that much. Our reasons for doing it? We are a large troop with a 45 year history. Well over 150 Eagle Scouts over those years. Right now, we have about 20 boys sitting on Life. Now that number is high because we have some like my 17 year old son who earned Life at 14. Regardless, we have a bunch capable of earning Eagle. That is a lot of Eagle COHs. When you start stacking individual Eagle COH's in the calendar along with regular COH's, you start getting burn out and poor attendance. Geez honey, another COH? Didn't we just go to a couple of COH's in the past several weeks? Add to that, we have an SM of a large troop who feels obligated to attend the Eagle COH and all of a sudden he has 10 or 12 additional days a year marked out of his schedule to compliment all the nights at troop meetings, monthly campouts, high adventure, etc. So it was discussed at a committee meeting that as of X date, all Eagle COH's would be part of one of our quarterly regular COH's. Part of the reasoning was that Eagles would actually have a crowd and the younger boys and their families would see Eagles being honored and be inclined to stick with it.

All fine and good. My issue is that it is anti-climactic to spend all those years from Tiger to Eagle and your ceremony is tacked onto the end of a COH and held with several other Eagles. Not to mention that your relatives from out of town can't make it for the date the troop has decided. Eagle is "just another rank", but a rank that few attain. It's a big deal and it deserves to be recognized individually.

I'm hearing some other issues here as well....

Family and friends can't attend because the COH isn't convenient? Why are COH's locked down?

We have one every 5th Monday in any month. If the boys want more (like after summer camp and all those MB's are waiting out there) we have another. We're up for a party at the drop of a hat. Grandma and Grandpa can't make it this weekend? No big deal, we'll have the COH when they can make it.

IT'S FOR THE BOYS!!!! Let's try and keep that in mind!

COH 3 weekends in a row? Sure, why not!

Stosh

I don't know that I would use the term locked down, but COH's are put on the calendar so folks can plan for them. If someone decides they want a COH next Sunday afternoon and it happens to be the day boys are leaving for summer camp, you might have very low attendance. An extreme example? Yes, but you get the picture. When you have 60 boys and 2 parents per with additional family members, things run much smoother if events are scheduled ahead of time.

The main issue with ECOH being locked down with other COH's is that grandparents from out of state can't be there on a weeknight.

I was part of a group of 6 Eagles in 1972, and it was held during the regular COH. I know of a later group of 8 (which a few waited, just to break our record). And honestly, having been to a number of ECoH, I think "Eaglezilla" is not an unfair comment.

I like the Eagle recognition being part of the normal Troop CoH. You did the work with your Troop. It is the Scouts in your Troop who helped you on your service project. It should be a Troop celebration.

We did this for the first time about 5 weeks ago at the request of scout and family.

Where we normally work our way up through ranks, ending with Life, this time we just continued on into Eagle.

Instead of more extensive ceremony, this one just consisted of Eagle Challenge, Eagle Charge, Eagle Oath, and presentation.

My preference is still to do more special formal affair.

I've never met an "Eaglezilla" but more than one Momzilla and Dadzilla!

Eaglezilla? How about a ECOH with State Representative/Senators, military recruiter (one of the boys was going on into the military), mayor, high school representation, etc.,etc., etc. all invited and present and a fully catered reception... I have seen less hoopla at a council's annual Eagle Recognition Dinner. The sad part of the whole thing was the majority of Eagles being awarded were to boys who hadn't been involved for years in the troop, but who came back to get their Eagles at the last minute.

Yeah, there are a few Eaglezillas out there. :(

Stosh