Testing the water - Patriotism Awards

Question for the esteemed panel (be gentle please)

I was very saddened by all of the posts for the US Heritage Award problems (scam , etc). I really like the award since it is introducing a very broad age group of Scouts (and others that are not Scouts) to US history and some of our important facts about the birth of our country, our flag, and our leaders. As I was thinking this through, I was thinking bow great it would be to have a program that let the youth (boys and girls) earn medals and learn tons about our country and ourselves.

I was thinking that a four medal set would scratch my itch. The medals would be:

-US Heritage (obviously from a different vendor) - but the requirements are quite good

-Youth Freedom Award - based on learning about the struggles of many peoples (race and gender) throughout US history and the important contributions associated (to include maybe a couple of trips or interviewing people from other races/genders

-Citizenship - an award that took the participant thru many of the questions and activities that a person coming to our country has to go thru to earn the right to become a citizen - definitely having the person have 1st hand experience with different cultures and learning the great work and joy people that earn their citizenship have

-Service - A series of service projects and community outreach activities that let the person understand their community, their place in it and how important it is to stand up and help others in our country

And if the person earns all four medals, they can do some other final project and earn a sort of top capstone medal.

Now... I know the first response by this forum is that there is already Citizenship Merit Badges and belt loops... I guess I want the boys to do more. I would love to see this kind of program provide a framework for leaders to get their boys excited about being Americans.

I am just in the first thoughts on this program and am sortof excited about it... so it is time for the dose of realism from the forum.

Thoughts?

You might have better success (and quicker), if you approach a non-BSA organization, e.g., the American Legion. Then the BSA could approve the wearing of the awards on the uniform...not unlike the religious awards model. The added benefit is that the awards would be open to ALL youth.

I was already thinking that the award would be a lot like the trail awards. Not run as an official scouting award... but more like a historic trail or how the US Heritage Medal used to be run.