Rejoining scouts to attain eagle I think I can do you?

My question is can I get my eagle within the time restraints of star, life, and eagle requirements. (14 months + or leadership position) only have 3 merit badges to work with1) First aid 2)metalwork 3)carving now thats it any advice? oh ya 19 months till I'm 18, just wanted some safety.

You can do it but it will be tight. You'll really need the support of your troop committee to get your Board of Review on the earliest possible date so you will have the maximum amount of time. You'll also need to bust your butt (can I say butt?) to get all of those merit badge done in time. Some require three months apiece but there's no reason that you can't be working on them together.

Good luck.

Assuming you have no other requirememnts completed other than the merit badges you have then you need a minimum of 16 months to complete the remaining requirements. Understand that once you reach Life there is no guarntee that you will elected of selected for any position which would bring your advancement to a halt.

A lot of that will depend on their perception of your purpose in returning to the troop.

It is said the the best way to achieve your goals is to help others achieve theirs. I would think that if in your return to the troop you howed that you were as intereted in helping other scouts learn and advannc hat they will want to see you advance as well.

Good Luck and wlcome back.

BW

Daviedds,

I think it is doable. You will need to focus.

I would check in often with the scoutmaster often, just to let him know where you are in the process and get advice!

Good luck! We're cheering you on!

Steve

Bob White makes a very good point. There is one thing that is not completely in your control and that is fulfilling a position of responsibility for six months as a life scout. This can be done with multiple positions. For example, three months in one job and three months in another. It does not have to be six months in the same position. Nevertheless, this is something you have to demonstrate to the other scouts that you deserve.

OK, let me make sure I understand:

1) You are a First Class Scout with 3 MBs to your name.

2) You are 16 years, 5 months old.

If you want the image of the person who looks at you in the mirror to be one of ironclad integrity and quality, then perhaps restarting the trail to Eagle is for you.

If, however, you think that being an Eagle Scout will look good on a resume or a college applicaiton, then I submit there are better ways to spend your extracurricular activity time in High School.

Eagle Scout is about excellence. It's about tenacity and initiative. It's about walking the walk.

As far as options for being in a unit, you actually have two different options. You may pursue Eagle from a Troop, or you may join a Venturing Crew and pursue Eagle there. My friend Beavah here isn't the most fond of this option, but it exists ... and it may allow you better access to friends and peers in your own age bracket.

I will say this: There are three time-intensive Eagle-required merit badges: Family Life, Personal Management and Personal Fitness. If you're serious about re-starting the trail, these need to move close to the front of your work queue.

In addition, you need to spend the minimum time you can in obtaining Star and Life, reserving additional time for the work of your Eagle Leadership Service Project and your remaining merit badges.

You can do it, but you will have to invest heavily in Scouting to do it! I'd not be surprised if Scouting becomes your major, if not only, extracurricular activity.

YIS John

Father of an Eagle Scout(This message has been edited by John-in-KC)

You don't need to be elected to a POR for Star and Life. Instead you can carry out a Scoutmaster-assigned leadership project to help the troop. You will need a POR for Eagle, though.

You can do it, but it will be a push & require a lot of work on your part.

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

Go for it. Maybe you are doing it for the "wrong reasons", but that much dedication to scouting will give you so many experiences and opportunities, that I wouldn't be surprised if your reasons became the "right ones" by the time you are close to Eagle, or if you really did gain a genuine appreciation of and devotion to Scouting and its principles.

Respectfully,

Artigas

I disagree about "doing it for the wrong reasons". It may be the wrong reason to start doing it, but the journey is the same. Those outside of BSA, and many within, only know about Eagle and believe the point of scouting is to earn Eagle. There are many in scouting who believe rank and badges are the reason for scouting. Through the process of completeing the various requirments, one begins to learn that there is more than just badges.

In order to earn the rank of Eagle, the canidate will have to perform tasks that will mold the canidate. Community service, religious studies, earning Citizenship in the XXX, all will have an effect on the canidate. The canidate will have to hold a POR. Several of the POR are elected positions so the canidate has to interact with his troop members to gain their respect to get elected. For the appointed positions, the need for respect and trust is equally important.

Yes, the canidate may come to scouting for the wrong reason, but by going through all the requirements, will undergo growth and development and become an Eagle. If the canidate does not grow, then the troop leadership is not performing their job of leading a proper program.

I wish you well on the Eagle trail. Whether you make it or not, it does you great credit that you want to try. And there is absolutely no shame in being Life for life.

There are a couple of things that you should know that are legends but also are incorrect.

1) You may hear that you need to do your project after all your merit badges are done. Not so. I would be ready to do that project as soon as I got my Life.

2) Don't wait on the merit badges until you are a Life Scout. Knock off as many as you can while you are still a First Class and a Star Scout. Take advantage of that tenure period so that when you make Life, you are almost done.

3) The other posters are absolutely correct about the position of responsibility. However, there are several appointed positions you can hold which would qualify you for Star, Life and Eagle Scout. At 16, I believe that you could be appointed a Junior Asst. Scoutmaster. For certain, you can at 17. However, this is up to your SM and your Troop Committee. A Troop has no limit on the number of Troop Instructors it can have. You can serve as a Troop Instructor. You could take the job of Troop Quartermaster. YOu could be a Troop Guide for some younger Scouts and you can be a Den Chief or Webelos Den Chief and help bring some boys into your Troop. If you are an OA member, you can be Troop OA representative. Talk with your Scoutmaster and make sure that he or she is on our side and will help make sure that you have a position of responsibility.

If I were your Scoutmaster, I would say "great" to you and would answer any questions that you had and help you as much as I could to the extent that YOU ASKED AND TOOK THE INITIATIVE. But if you dropped the ball and went away for a period of time, I'd make no effort to remind you.

YOu will need to earn about 1 - 1.5 merit badges per month to get done. However, if you can earn about 3 per month, you'll be close to finished merit badges in about 6 months and ready to concentrate on your project.

As others have said, if this is your idea, great. But if you are doing it just to look good on college applications, there are simpler and less onerous ways to do that.

We wish you well and hope you make it. Either way, we're proud of you.