New Requirements -- Application

I have a naive question.

How do the new 2008 requirements apply? I presumet that a scout who is already Star does not need to go back and retroactively complete the new Tenderfoot requirement.

But what about someone who is Tenderfoot working on 2nd Class. Does he need to complete the new requirements that have come into force after he joined Boy Scouts? We tell our scouts when they join to buy a scout handbook and to have everything signed off in the back. We use that as the record for their advancement (I also use TroopMaster). Are existing scouts grandfathered in or is it only scouts who have already achieved the particular rank.

Thahks.

A puzzled advancements chair.

Most of what I have heard is that they need to do the new requirements for their next rank. Don't need to go back.

Most are photocoping the requirements (or downloading them) and just inserting that sheet into their books.

As part of one of our patrols meeting last night, they went over all of the new requirements as a patrol. The PL is Second Class, and he thought that all the boys in his patrol should go over the new requirements. These boys are mainly 11 and 12 years old and starting to use the internet more, so he thought it would be a good idea for them all to go over them.

ccjj

SFAICT, anyone S-T-2 has to do the new requirements to advance to T, 2 or 1.

Beyond that, well, National Advancement Committee didn't think to bother to change Family Life or Personal Fitness (and either would be a workable place to integrate the new requirements at higher level).

My thoughts...

I don't see why it's necessary to have them as a requirement and get credit for it. If the information is important the boys can go through it just because... well, it's important. If it's important enough for the older boys, don't wait until it comes out in MB, just teach it anyway. If the only reason boys are doing anything in scoutiong is to get some kind of credit for it, get a patch on one's shirt, or to get an award, then maybe it's time to rethink scouting.

The new requirements are a good topic for any meeting regardless of anyone's rank. If some get some kind of credit and others don't, it's not the end of the world. The boys will survive and may appreciate the conversation at the meeting anyway.

Stosh

• 4 weeks later...

I went to council to ask a question in the first class requirements on water survival skills and do they need to be fulfilled they could not give me an answer on it. But while asking the ? he informed me that as of Jan 1 2008 there were new requirements in the books for tenderfoot thru 1st class that the scout is required to fullfill in order to advance to the next rank. so no matter what rank they are as of 1st jan 2008 they have to do the additonal requirements

so no matter what rank they are as of 1st jan 2008 they have to do the additonal requirements.

Not if the Scout has completed a rank prior to 1/1/2008 or is Star or higher.

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

The new version of "A Time to Tell" DVD covers the new requirements. All of our scouts watched last meeting with a dad who is a policeman in full uniform leading the discussion portions. Think it went well and all T-1st requirements were met. We encouraged all parents to attend as well. We plan on showing the video each year (new for crossovers and review for olders).

We purchased the DVD through local scout shop but it is available through the online store as well. $10.00 Our local shop has loaners but they are always out.