My scoutmaster sat on my Eagle BOR

My scoutmaster, as well as my two former scoutmasters, plus the district rep, sat on my Eagle BOR last night. He (and the other two former scoutmasters) only asked 3 or 4 questions apiece. The District Rep did most of it, and I passed. Immediately after the BOR was completed, the district rep realized his mistake, but proceeded to continue with the normal procedures and paperwork.

Is this really a problem, that my scoutmaster was on the BOR? Do I need to request a new one, supposing that the higher levels of approval don't catch the mistake? Or is my Eagle candidacy secure despite this fault in procedure?

Just trying to be a trustworthy Scout. Thanks for your help,

Artigas

The advancement policies of the BSA allow your Scoutmaster to be present and to answer questions dircted to him by the board for clarification purposes only. It was improper of him to ask questions, and improper for the advancement committee representative to not have instructed your scoutmaster before the board began of his limited role in the procedures. Will their mistakes effect the processing of your Eagle application? I would say the chances of that are very slim.

Had you not passed the board it could have been grounds for you to appeal based on the violation.

Congratulations on passing the board you are one step away from becoming an Eagle Scout.

BW

(This message has been edited by Bob White)

We are only human and forget at times. They did realize their 'opps' later and may be more careful. Since there is no real problem as you are an Eagle now (congrats!!!! :) ) enjoy! and do not let it bother you. I commend your concern - you did nothing wrong so go plan your ECoH!

Oh - Bob, He IS an Eagle as of the date of the EBoR. Just waiting on the paperwork to verify recording it.(This message has been edited by firekat)

I think I'll wait to call it official until it's official. But thanks for the responses, guys!

ETA: So you don't think it would be dishonest for me to accept the award from this point, assuming I am approved for it?(This message has been edited by Artigas)(This message has been edited by Artigas)

Good decision Antigas,

While it is rare that Eagle apllications are refused at the National level it does happen. Unlike other ranks where you advance immediately following the passing of a board of review, the Eagle Scout Rank is not considered earned until it is reviewed an approved by the National office. After which time the date of earning the award will be backdated to your bor. But according to the BSA Advancement procedures the candidate is not an Eagle until after it is approved at the national level.

But congratualtions on this major step.

BW

While we are talking about Eagle BORs ---

BW,

As I understand it the minimum number of people for an Eagle BOR is three. Most places these are run at the district level and the district supplies the people. As I understand the rules, no person registered with the candidate's unit should be on an Eagle BOR. Is that correct?

I agree that Artigas should be fine. The SM should have introduced the candidate and stepped out of the room unless requested to provide some information by the BOR. In our district the SM, or a designated substitute, shows up to introduce the candidate, but does not participate in the BOR. Your thoughts?

I'd just like to reiterate, in case people miss the edit to my last post, that my main concern here isn't if my paperwork will be approved or not. It's if it IS approved, would it be honest for me to accept the award, since it's likely that there's no way the higher-ups would know the BOR was not done according to procedure?

Whether you would become an Eagle Scout or not was already determined before you sat down for the board of review. You completed the merit badges. You completed a leadership service project. You completed all the requirments listed in your Handbook. You lived the Scout Oath and Scout Law in your daily life. At that point all that remains is for you to convince the board that you've met all the requirements and are worthy of the rank.

So, YOU must answer the question from your heart: Have you or have not earned the Eagle Scout rank?

I really do not think it will be any problem Artigas. You should hear from National in 2 to 4 weeks.

Eisely, the Scoutmaster is allowed to stay in the room as I described. You will find that in the BSA Advancement Committee Policies and Procedures manual. Also in step 9 of "The 12 Steps to Eagle" found in the BSA offical "Eagle Scout Leadership Project Workbook".

BW(This message has been edited by Bob White)

Any candidate, such as yourself, who has satisfied all the requirements for the rank of Eagle Scout and is obviously so concerned about violating the first point of the Scout Law because of a possible mistake made, not by him, but by an Eagle Board of Reviewers, is to be commended most highly and is already an Eagle Scout in my book. Congratulations Eagle Scout Artigas! :cool:

Let us know when the paperwork arrives from National.

Have any others here sit on EBs? I would love to compare notes. I have been sitting on them for awhile now but still am learning things. Our DAC/ EC has been doing them for over 20 years. I think I will always feel like a novice next to that much experence.

Now days it appears Natl only has problems with paperwork errors. The main attitude is that if there is a problem and it was an adult caused error, the eagle stands. You did not set up the board, adults did. Not your error but theirs. I do not see that natl would have a problem. As stated above, if they had turned you down then you would have good grounds for an appeal.

edit for clairity(This message has been edited by firekat)

Yah, Artigas. No problems, mate. Happens occasionally. The 3 regular board members all got to ask their questions, so yeh had a perfectly legitimate BOR. Wear your wings with pride.

Eisley, there's nuthin' wrong with a person registered with the candidate's unit serving on a district or council level EBOR. In many councils, unit-level EBOR's are conducted, eh? In fact I suspect that's the more common method. So if 3-5 unit level registered folks are OK in some places, I can't see gettin' upset by one unit-level registered person on a district or council review.

Only restriction is no currently registered unit leader/assistant unit leader types. That's SM/ASM, Coach/Assistant Coach, or Advisor/Assistant Advisor. They've already had their go when they signed off on the requirements and SM conference. Most places like and encourage 'em to be present; EBOR's are part of the reward of being a SM! But they shouldn't be actin' in an official board member role.

Beavah

Eisley...where did you see that no person registered with a Scouts unit should sit on his Eagle Bor? I am just curious, since in our district, the Eagle Bor is made up of the district advancement chair and one other person from the district, plus up to4 members of the Scouts troop committee.

My son's Eagle BoR had 2 members from district, and only 3 members of our committee. Neither his step-dad nor myself could sit on his BoR.

Just curious.

ccjj