There is nothing so difficult about the requirements of Tenderfoot through First Class that they could not be taught, practiced, and applied in a 12 to 14 month period.

Yah, BobWhite fudged a bit, eh? Let's keep it to 12 months like it says. This could be a fun exercise.

Generate and post a 12-month troop calendar that meets the following conditions:

1) Does not assume 100% participation, but rather assumes between 50 and 80% participation from your "good" kids.

2) Allows for 1 (but only one) outing a month. Your choice of whether Saturday overnights are permitted or not. Allows for 1 (but only one) meeting per week, with no meetings any time there is a school vacation during the school year.

3) Assumes living in an area with Weather. Either oppressive heat some months, cold, dreary rain some months, or snow and cold some months. Or all of the above!:p Perhaps assume 1 month's outing cancellation for weather, and two more months where the outing program has to be adjusted for weather. Whatever's rational for your area for a decent but "ordinary" troop.

4) Provides for instruction on each T-2-1 skill, followed by multiple opportunities for each boy to really practice, followed by a chance for each boy to demonstrate/test individually, as per the requirements. Assume a signoff level of #2 ('introduction') or #3 ('proficiency') (and specify which you're usin').

5) Assumes that instruction isn't perfect, and that only half of the boys "got" each skill the first time it was taught. So for half the boys, each skill needs to be re-taught at least once.

6) Makes advancement only 1/8 of the program time (one method out of 8). So out of a 90 minute meeting, 12-15 minutes or so. On a day-long camping trip, 1.5 hours or so. Yah, yah, dat's a bit artificial because there's some overlap of advancement with the other methods, eh? But there's also some ways in which Youth Leadership steers us away from this kind of "organized" advancement focus, and might even throw down for one or more non-T-2-1-related outings. And there's times when, for example, Patrol Method needs more time to deal with an "issue." But if you're desperate, yeh can "cheat" up to 1/6 of the program time. ;)

7) Yeh can assume either a NSP/TG approach or a traditional mixed-age patrol model. But you do have to specify which and use 'em properly. Let's say 8 new scouts.

8) You have to use the other Methods. So you can't, for example, "turn off" the Patrol Method in order to have PLs from an older patrol come and do testing for the NSP. They're engaged in their own patrol's activities.

9) For da cost of only minor chiding, you can declare one (but only one) of the above 8 'rules' to be "unreasonable" for your circumstances, and ignore it. ;)

Might give some good ideas to people. Might also prove to be a real challenge!

Beavah

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You will likely not get a response based on your list. It has too many errors for a unit to try and operate within.

First, 14 months is not fudging. Remember this is not a First Class, First Year plan. It is the First Class Emphasis plan and it is based on a 12-14 month period (always has been).

1) the plan is not based on any specific amount of participation it is based on a plan to teach and apply skills. Nor is it based on 100% of new scouts achieving 1st Class. It is based on teaching and applying all the skills of Tenderfoot to First Class.

2)There is no limit to the number of outings a unit can have each month nor does the program limit when a scout can learn or apply a skill. Part of good teaching is to get the student to appreciate that learning and applying knowledge is not limited to a specific time or place.

3)Assumes living in an area with weather? I have no idea what that means. Are you aware of an area that has no weather?

4) Sign off levels? News to me, never heard of it, never used. Been teaching skills for a lot of years. The best way to test the scout is to put him in a situation where the skill can be applied, When he applies it correctly he completes the requirement. Often time a scout can complete multiple requirements in a single task or activity. The amount of practice will vary with each person depending on existing skills, and learning ability. As an example I have seen scouts who have already taken Red Cross training and needed no practice for most of the First Aid requirements. I have had competetive swimmers who needed no practice for their swim tests.

5)If only half your participants "got it" then shame on you for stopping the teaching. If the learner hasn't learned then the teacher hasn't taught.

6):) if advancemnt is just 1/8 of the methods and so we can only work on advancement 12-15 minutes of the meeting...and uniforming is 1/8 of the methods ...does that mean we can only be in uniform for 12-15 minutes as well???

We both know that is not how you implement the methods of Scouting. It is a layered application. Often times multiple methods are being used at one time.

7)You cannot do First Class emphasis and not use the multi-tier program of which the New Scout Patrol is key. The Scouting program model is to have patrols made of scouts of similar ages and interests.

8) 8 New Scouts would be in either a single New Scout Patrol, or Two New Scout Patrols. I would probably use two NSPs because I would expect a couple or three other new scouts to join in the next few months and they could be added.

9)I wish only one was unreasonable but as you now see they are all false premises for a well planned 1st year program.

To detail an entire 1st year on a forum is more typing than I would do, and more than most would want. Instead if I could recommend the use of the Troop Program Features volumes 1,2, and 3, as sort of a primer to learning program planning. Each skill is outlined in a monthly theme with three program features each directed at one of the three patrol tiers. Also The New Leader Essentials Training has an excellent excercise that would help demonstrate how multiple methods are used to address multiple Aims, and complete multiple requirements at a single activity. I would recomment revisiting that excercise.

Then, let's start a new thread on how to have games and activities that allow scouts to practice and apply skills, rather than say "here do this requirement for me", or waste time playing dodge ball when there are no requirements T-1C related to dodge ball.

Hope this helps!

BW

Yah, BW, welcome back to da forums, eh! Sorry if I wasn't clear, especially when referrin' to recent threads yeh haven't participated in. If yeh want, you can ignore da rules and just post a plan from your troop, eh? It's an open forum. I reckon cut-and-paste would be less typin' than that last response. ;)

To clarify for everyone:

1) The purpose here is that kids who show up to most things and are diligent should be makin' FCFY, but we can never assume 100% participation, nor do we want to. Pick a level that accurately portrays such kids in your troop.

2) Should be done according to the recommended BSA program of a meeting a week, an outing a month. Can't assume an unusually high volunteer commitment/activity level.

3) Some of us have more weather than others, eh? :) Gotta work for folks who don't live in sunshine states.

4) Signoff levels refers to da discussion on this thread: http://www.scouter.com/forums/viewThread.asp?threadID=176828

5) Anybody who knows anything about teachin' knows that not every learner "gets it" the first time it's taught. No matter how good da teacher is. How many times did Jesus have to teach clueless disciples? ;)

6) Da intent is to not let one method monopolize the time. So yeh can't spend a whole meetin' doing a uniform inspection (but claimin' it's also Patrol Method and Youth Leadership, etc), and yeh can't do a whole meetin' in an advancement class but claimin' it's patrol method, and youth leadership, and outdoors, etc.

7) If yeh think yeh can't use FCFY without age-based patrols, then present it that way. Da BSA materials of course allow both structures, so if yeh know how to do it with mixed-age patrols, feel free to present that.

8) Assume you're done with recruiting season and 8 new scouts is what you've got. For convenience, you got 'em all at the same time.

9) Yeh can ignore anything that in your actual experience is avoidable, but you can't reprogram the real world. If yeh don't want to play, you can sit quietly and politely on the sidelines and watch :).

If yeh want, you can reference Woods Wisdom/Troop Program Features. In my experience I've never yet seen a troop that either wanted to or was able to implement 'em as designed, but they're fair game if they conform to the requirements. :)

Beavah

My apologies if this is tedious but I cannot think of another way to respond to so many points.

No need to worry about my knowledge of previous threads. The scouting program is not based on the content of forum threads.

1) The level of participation has little to no effect. The Fist Class emphasis program is about having a purposeful, planned program, whether attendance is 65, 85 or 100% has little effect on the plan since skills are not just covered once, nor must all learning take place during 15 minutes a week.

2) It is the unit's plan, they can plan whatever level of activity the families will support. The BSA program says that scouts should have an outdoor activity "at least" once a month, not "only" once a month. In addition, the patrol is not limited to only Troop level activities and may choose to have their own patrol activities as well.

3) So what? Are you saying that advancement cannot take place in some locales because they have different weather? I do not see the logic in that.

4) What may or may not have been discussed on a thread is irrelevant to the fact that there are no "sign-off levels in the BSA advancement program. Never have been!

5) You speak of teaching in scouting as if it had a rigid time period, perhaps 12-15 minutes. Teaching is process of sharing information that does not end even once the learner has learned. There is no "getting it the first time" you support the learning until they learn, and then you support the retention of what they have learned.

6) The Uniform method is not about uniform inspections. The intent of the scouting program Methods is that you employ as many applicable methods as possible in everything you do. Again, it is a layered application you do not use one Method and then drop it and pick up another. When the New Scout Patrol does an in-city hike to a fire station for a first aid class we introduce basic map and compass, practice hiking safety rules, learn first aid skills, we do nature identification, and we employ all eight methods of Scouting, most simultaneously.

7) If you re-read my posts, you will see I mention that the First Class Emphasis Program is tied to the New Scout Patrol.

8) Done with recruiting season? I have no idea what that is. This is not like duck hunting where you only have a certain period to recruit. A good program draws youth. When they arrive is of no consequence. Often times we have picked up Webelos who decided not to move into scouting, only to be coaxed back in by a New Scout after they share how fun the program is. I would always recommend you leave a spot in the New Scout Patrol for the friend that someone will bring in to join him.

9) Your real world is what you choose to make it. You can have a program plan the teaches and retains New Scouts or you can choose a world where you do not. Nothing says that because some choose not to use this effective program element that others cannot choose to use it.

So far, the only people to speak against it are those who have not used it. The ones that have used it do not seem to be saying anything negative about it or its results.

"In my experience I've never yet seen a troop that either wanted to or was able to implement 'em as designed,..."

If a carpenter does not know how to use his tools is that the tool's responsibility, or the carpenter's?

(This message has been edited by Bob White)

Yah, BW, I reckon at this point da intent is clear, eh? If yeh don't want to participate or yeh want to spin off another thread to argue about whether sharin' different FCFY plans is worthwhile, go ahead.

Just please be courteous and stop hijackin' this one ;).

For everybody else, if I've made things too complicated, feel free to share an outline of how you implement FCFY, and perhaps answer how yeh handle some of da challenges. Be aware we all might critique ;), but you'll be addin' to the discussion by puttin' some meat on the bones!

Beavah

(This message has been edited by Beavah)

So, Beavah, did you not follow the link I provided? Did you not read page 5 of the document, the one titled "Sample First Year Program" that starts in March and runs through December, detailing skills instruction for each meeting and outing? What is missing?

Our (still new, at 5 months) SM has recently found and decided to adopt a year-long first class emphasis plan of some sort or other. I don't know the details of how he hopes it is going to work, what role the PLC has in it, or a host of other factors. Once I get the details I'll be happy to share. In the meantime, I think part of Beavah's point is that there's a difference between on-paper, idealistic, pie-in-the-sky "plans" and more "real-world" plans that reflect the adversity of working with real people in real conditions. And hey, I think it is great to share ideas and plans for how FCFY could work.

Beavah: I think I agree with some of the others. If you want a FCFY program, just ask for it -- no need to post a bunch of complicating assumptions.

Our troop has a FCFY program -- we manage to get most of our boys through it successfully, but we don't always get 100%. We usually camp once a month, but we've rarely (I think 2-3 times in 30+ years) cancel an outing due to weather. But we would never hold to an outstanding if safety of the Scouts was at risk. We don't use the NSP (but I think we should).

I don't understand what you're getting at with #8 -- we don't use the patrol method when teaching MBs, I don't see why it must be enforced with teaching T-2-1 class skills.

If you think we're not doing it the "right" way because we don't follow all your assumptions, all I can say is, it works for us.

Yah, fgoodwin, the only point of the complimicated conditions was to do what Lisa'bob suggests, and try to impose a reasonable approximation of the challenges many troops face. It's a lot easier to do FCFY if you require 100% attendance, for example, or if yeh do three outings a month or meet every day as part of your home school group, eh?

As I've said, I certainly know units that offer FCFY usin' signoff criteria #1, which doesn't follow the taught/practiced/applied steps BW and da BSA advocate. I've seen units that pretty much make advancement the only method in year one, too. "Gotta get through this, then they can have fun."

I'm just tryin' to cut out all these different permutations. Not that they're "bad", just that they're different enough so as not to be helpful for others. My own experience has been da same as what others reported in the older threads on this. At signoff level #2, FC is typically an 18-month thing. If a unit meets da BSA's proficiency standard, it's usually a rank every 9 months to a year. I'm lookin' for a few examples that break the trend without introducin' special conditions.

So for weather, yeh don't have to face a cancellation, but a disruption of the plans every now and then :). Can't do the First Aid practice in the field because it's pourin' down rain or whatever. For #8, I meant that if yeh use NSP, you can't be breakin' up the Patrol Method for other patrols. But in your case in mixed patrols, I guess I mean that instruction and signoff should mostly happen within the patrol, not by pullin' the boys off into a "class".

Beavah

It's a lot easier to do FCFY if you require 100% attendance

While I appreciate that is your personal opinion, there is nothing in First Class Emphasis to suggest or suppoprt that. As others have explained, this is about having a plan, and is unrelated to attendance.

When your mom planned a birthday party for you did she plan it based on how many were invited or how many came?

In First Class emphasis you plan activities and resources based on the size of the patrol, you cannot wait to see how many show up to decide upon what will be taught or applied. While plans are flexible you still need to start out with a plan!

Even in the New Scout Patrol "sign off" takes place in the Patrol setting during application not during the learning phase, and nowhere have I seen anyone who follows First Class emphasis talk about Classroom teaching. Again the Scouting method is active learning with hands on activities to teach skills.

(This message has been edited by Bob White)(This message has been edited by Bob White)