Eagle candidates and leadership

I would agree with most of these posts. Being a Life Scout and 14, he is already past Brownsea, but I would encourage him to go to NYLT and coach him on the side.

This brings up the huge question which has always bothered me, and that is why the POR for Life or Eagle includes things like Scribe and Librarian. In most troops I've seen, these are very "light responsiblity" jobs. There are those boys out there who will avoid taking a tougher leadership position of PL or SPL all through Scouts. It is my belief that by the time they hit Life, and for sure Eagle, they should have been required to take one of these tougher leadership roles. This would help avert the situation you are now in which is actually quite common.

As indicated in my original post, I already have taken responsiblity for this scouts lack of leadership skills. ( as you might imagine, there is more to this story but is really not applicable to this discussion - but it happened on my watch so I'm responsible )

What I'm trying to do is to figure out a way to get him those skills now.

Beav's suggestion #2 is the approach I favor at this time. I'd like more ideas on how to train him if you have 'em. I've tried to get these guys to go to NYLT but our council charges $180 and it takes two weekends. Nobody from our troop wants to go...even when the Committee offers to pay half..

What has worked for you guys?

CA,

How is your weekly program planned? If you could get these Life Scouts to the monthly PLC meetings and ask them to come up with ideas for the next months meetings, then ask them to organize (or assist you in getting together the materials) for the meetings this may go a long way in helping them to plan their Eagle Project and give them ideas on what is needed to organize it.

In 2007, I challenged Scouting executives to define and start teaching "leadership" when a Scout first starts Scouting, NOT when he is being considered for his Eagle Service Leadershp Project. Scouts should be able to read/study/review the text...in the Scout Handbook.. throughout their Scouting progress.

My original message, repeated for emphasis:

"Leadership, an essential element of Scouting, needs to be defined and discussed in the NEXT revision of the "Boy Scout Handbook". Start the Scouts on the right track".

As I read this discussion, I see that there is something that needs clarification. The scout is 14 and does not have the leadership skills to carry on an Eagle Project.

Just what leadership skills does he lack?

Can he make a plan for a project?

Can he recruit people for a project?

Can he find the resources he will need?

Can he contact the people he needs to contact to get approvals?

Can he hold a reasonable discussion with the projects beneficiary?

Can he schedule the work that will be involved?

Can he encourage his volunteers to come to a workday or do a job?

Can he finish the paperwork involved?

Just what is he not prepared to do?

AND, If you can identify the skills he is deficient in, what is the plan to get him these skills?

If he cannot lead a flag ceremony, should he lead 10 ceremonies before he is ready?

If he is too shy to talk to adults, should he talk to 20 adults before he is ready?

If he is afraid to direct scouts, should he give 15 specific directions to scouts before he is ready?

If he cannot write a project plan, will you make him write plans for 10 campouts before he is ready?

The definition of the problem is vague, and so are the solutions. If I were so inclined, I could keep a boy from ever getting his Eagle project done. Just to say "you are not doing well, so do better" is no good. You must be prepared to give the kid a list of things to do to get himself ready for the project.

OR, let him go ahead with the project, and let the process teach him some leadership skills. I think he will learn it by doing it. I can lecture about the leadership skills of staffing, planning, directing, and controlling, but the kid will not learn until he puts together a staff, makes a plan, schedules the activity, gives directions to the workers, and all the rest.