If scout rejoins Troop, can he continue advancement ?

Hi Everyone,

We had a scout in our Troop who had attained the Rank of First Class Scout. He was 13 yrs. old and had most of the requirements for Star Rank completed. He left the Troop to persue other activities that he was interested in. I had the opportunity to talk with this young man about a week ago. He is now 15 yrs. old. While we were catching up, he expressed an interest in rejoining the Troop. I of course told him that he would be welcomed back, just stop by the meeting house when he has a chance, and we''ll get him signed up again.

My question is, can he resume his scouting career where he left off, or does he have to start as a Scout all over again?

Hopefully your advancement coordinator has his record archived, so he can come back almost exactly where he lift off.

If not, your DE can pull what you had reported complete on him, and he and the SM make a decision on how to go forward from there.

The only limitation on Boy Scouting advancement system is that eligibility to advance ends on the 18th birthday. The exceptions are approved special needs and Eagle Candidates awaiting their Eagle Boards of Review.

In the question above, I wonder, do all clock items or number of campouts in that First Class rank reset to zero on his rejoin date? So he can show his progress(Scout Spirit etc. - or is that one granted by the coming back) towards the next one?(This message has been edited by Gunny2862)

"In the question above, I wonder, do all clock items or number of campouts in that First Class rank reset to zero on his rejoin date?"

Why would anyone reset anything in a Scout''s experience to zero?

If this Scout has most of the requirements for Star completed you might also want to look through stacks of old complete and incomplete "Blue Cards" if you keep those kinds of things around.

With returning Scouts who no longer have their old Scout Handbook and left before earning First Class, consider pulling out the Troop''s photo albums (or CDs of digital images) and arrange a "Scoutmaster Conference Down Memory Lane" with the Scout, members of his old Patrol, Troop Guide, etc, to reminisce about old times, checking requirements off as you go that have obviously been met, and circling those that might need some degree of verification in the field.

For a Scout Spirit inventory, check out the Scout Spirit Scavenger Hunt:

http://usscouts.org/advance/docs/spirit.asp

Kudu

Gunny,

If you''re starting from a ScoutNet record, you as a SM and the young man are going to have to have a Scoutmaster Conference: With you mentoring, you can decide where he picks up from.

If you have a Troopmaster (or other archived) record and he has his Boy Scout Handbook, you can bring the processes far closer.

It may also be worth asking his peers about how he was "back then."

Beyond here, I''d have a friendly talk at your next Roundtable with your District Advancement Chair and your UC and get their take on things. The DAC is the one responsible for implementing the BSA advancement program district-wide.

He continues advancement where he left off. If he did 8 of 10 activities, then he has two more to do. If he completed 6 of 8 service hours, then he has 2 to do. If he completed 150 of 180 days of a POR, then he has 30 days left to do.... you get the picture.

And, don''t fall into the MB partials must be completed within a year hype. That''s another "Scouting Urban Legend". If he started working on hiking MB and just has one hike left to do, then that''s where he is.

Thank you all for your input. It is certainly nice to have this forum to get answers to not so common questions.

As I mentioned, the young man in question was working torwards the Star rank when he decided to leave the Troop. He was not holding a POR at that time. Our advancement chair in the Troop has EVERYTHING archived! As far as sevice hours and time camping, I know the SM of the Troop keeps those records archived as well. This particular young man was well liked by everyone, very mature for his age, and above all was an excellent scout. I do hope that he decides to return to Scouting.

Thanks again for all the input. It certainly opened my eyes to the many other issues to consider.

EagleinKY:

In a perfect world, where all the documentation exists, what you described is what right should look like. How less a perfect world various situations will be requires a SM to use his judgment.

ASM162''s follow-on indicates a near-perfect world. The boy in question will need 4 months in a POR to get it done. That also gives time for him to demonstrate good Scouting habits at Troop and great Scout Spirit away from the troop.

Gunny''s comment, since I know he''s a new SM, goes to how he takes a boy from "here to there" when this situation will arise with him. Since Gunny and I have emailed offlist, I know he''s in the process of getting data management resources to help him mentor and manage the advancement method.

The worst case is no book, no internal records, and just ScoutNet. SM has to make a call.

Best case is book, internal records and ScoutNet confirmation: SM can determine pretty preceisely what a Scout needs for the next step.

It is good thing to get a scout back and so we should make him welcome. Although I would not really test him on previous work, I would check to make sure that he has not forgotten the basics such as knots, fire building, lashings, first aid and etc. so that he does not look stupid in front of the new scouts that he could be asked to teach.

Jeff

I concur with the other posts. Depending on the quality of the available records, the boy picks up where he left off. I cannot think of any rank advancement requirements predicated on continuous membership. I think you may have some latitude in determining prior credit for positions of responsibility, particularly if the records are not clear.

The one area that I can think of where the clock is reset has to do with eligibility for the Order of the Arrow, but that is not a rank advancement matter.