I have a question about counting service hours. From time to time our troop has a "work day" where we clean-up our building, our storage shed, re-stack our firewood, or burn the yard trash and other rubbish that seems to accumulate behind our shed. I don't consider this as "service" for purposes of rank requirements because we are really only seriving ourselves. The language used in the scout HB stresses service to "others", which I have always taken to mean the community at-large or specific groups, non-profits, ministries, etc.

Sometimes, I take a little heat for this hard-line.

Recently we completed a workday where we spruced up the exterior and landscaping of the grounds in and around our meeting facility. This was done at the specific request of our CO. Does this make it serivce to others (our CO)? I'm inclined to still say no. Am I taking too hard a line?

IMO No you are not being too hard line. I seperate service to others and service rendered for something recieved. We participate in a community clean up of the alleyways behind our main street. This event is attended by many youth organizations and sports clubs. This is a community service and I count it for service hours. Work around the building we meet in is service rendered in return for being allowed to use the building for meetings. Of course it is not stated that way, if we didn't clean around the building we probably would not be asked to leave but it still a kinda one hand washes the other.

LongHaul

I agree with you that work that directly benefits the troop isn't something I'd count for service hours.

For work that directly benefits your CO, I think the line is fuzzier. In my case, I normally count service to the CO as long as it has no direct benefit to the troop. The Scouts view it as service to others. The CO views it as service as well, as they often ask whether Scouts would be available for service projects.

As OGE says, it's your call. And there can be more complexity depending on what your relationship is with your CO. But based on what you've posted, I'd let it count.

Oak Tree