Eagle Projects..what is acceptable and what is not.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am in agreement with all those that stated that it would be difficult to show leadership in a blood drive. Perhaps not impossible, but really, really, difficult, and the scout would have to describe how he would be leading such a project.

My thoughts are on a different aspect here:

Eagle 1984 said "The Eagle even went as far as saying that council needs to start a list of acceptable/unacceptable projects for the rank of Eagle.". My thoughts on this is that scouting is best done at the local level, and it should be the unit that is the primary determiner of what type of project adequately demonstrates leadership for a particular individual. Council is too far removed. It sounds to me like the scout and is father are looking for a project with the least effort possible. If a particular unit's standards are such that minimal efforts are encouraged, then, while from my perspective that is unfortunate, they will approve such a project.

I believe that what the council and district should be involved with is providing training to local unit leaders to help them understand the benefits of meaningful standards for things like Eagle projects, so they can make better decisions on what type of project meets the aims of scouting.

A couple of comments are in order.

First, let's remember that National Council policy, as demonstrated in the Eagle Scout Leadership Service Project Workbook (BSA 18-927), that a "Council or District Advancement Committee Representative" approve the ELSP proposal.

Second, Mr Eagle1984 stated earlier he sat on a District Advancement Committee. He's the one who should be helping make the policy decision. I hope our feedback has been useful to him.

Third, assuming a project is approved (and apparently over time some Councils and Districts have), the blood bank has a vote in what they will sign off on. If they say 40 units, and the Candidate doesn't round up at least 40 volunteers, he's not met the supported organizations standards. They do not have to accept the work done.

FWIW, as an Advancement coordinator in a unit, as a committee chair, and as a COR, if I've had questions on whether a project will even pass muster with the District Advancement Committee, I've talked to its chairman offline. Several times I've gotten good pointers which if the candidate bought in, turned "service hours" into an Eagle Project.