How to find a Merit Badge counselor?

Recruit someone. Maybe a veternarian, kennel owner, breeder, or mechanic (you did say "dog car" :-)). Once you find someone willing, they need to fill out a BSA leader app (no fee for MBCs, though) and a MBC application. Once they are approved, your son can work with them (with a buddy, of course).

Eagle in KY,

I could probably get someone willing to register and work with my son, but I don't know that they would want on the list for everyone to be calling them. What if no other boy wants to work on this merit badge?

Ed,

The list I am looking at is our district list, it is the current list that I just picked up at the Scout Schop Saturday.

In our district, a MBC has the option of indicating that he or she only wants to work with the scouts in a particular unit.

I don't think anybody has mentioned that there is nothing preventing you from registering to counsel this MB yourself, if you think you're qualified. You can counsel your own son.

As Hunt pointed out, they can submit to only work with youth from your unit. That will keep his/her name off the district list. As for the buddy system, that is non-negotiable. It doesn't have to be a scout, though. They could take a friend, parent or kid sister. As long as they are not 1-on-1 alone with the counselor.

Thank you everyone for the additional information. I will ask our SM tonight what the Troop's policy is on parents acting as merit badge counselors for their own son. It isn't something that had came up yet. I can probably get a local 4-H leader or vet to do it with my son. Thanks again.

Troop policy or not, the BSA Advancement Policy says that you can. My suggestion is that he go elsewhere, if there's someone qualified to work with him. I think he'll grow more by working with someone else. But don't let an artificial policy force that to happen.

"I will ask our SM tonight what the Troop's policy is on parents acting as merit badge counselors for their own son."

Don't ask--this is down in black and white in the BSA advancement materials--it's allowed. Just tell the SM you'd like to do it, unless somebody else would like to step up.