• LATEST POSTS

• I remember boys hiking the 3+ miles from the Boy Scout summer camp to the nearby Girl Scout summer camp in the evenings in the late 1970s.  As was said earlier, "where there's a will, there's a way" -- but we don't have to make it easier for them. I personally felt there was a place for -- nay, a need for -- single-sex instruction in some things.  The vast majority of teenage boys I knew -- from the time when I was a teenager myself until present -- don't focus well when there's a teenage girl nearby.  Or rather, they focus well but not necessarily on what I need them to focus on.  Having said that, I resigned myself to having lost that battle (and several others) years ago which is why I am now retired from Scouting.
    • What's in a name?  That which we call a Scout after the camp by any other name would smell as sweet....
    • Everyone here uses the normalcy of family, schools and churches as a justification to normalize scouting. Scouting was always intended to be different to give ethical and moral growth a chance for males. Nobody today wants to admit males and females are different and different programs give both genders the chance for the best growth. A scout is brave is the first trait to go in this culture. Barry
    • Scouts Canada and Scouts UK, they are just called Scouts. Scouts BSA felt redundant to me anyway. I'm not concerned with a name change, nor any administrative hoopla fixes as to whether a girl unit is a troop or if it is just a patrol (or even if mixed patrols are allowed). I am concerned with long-term viability of program, and none of these changes to me are going to solve this. I'd love to share the optimism others are expressing here, but to be quite blunt, we heard all of that when girls were allowed to all programs, and what are the results? My council follows what national has directed, and that is to focus messaging on "positives", so the girl membership numbers are shared in comms but radio silence on the overall numbers. Yes, female youth numbers have had small increase each year for our council, but the male numbers have continued to drop. It's time for the organization, by whatever name they want to be known as, to stop reporting membership numbers on gender- the ship has sailed on this- and get back to talking turkey on the overall membership number. We aren't talking about breaking out the adult volunteer numbers between male and female, stop doing it with the youth already. 
    • Agreed; but that does not have to be lost with Coed or even with changes in views of normal human interactions.  We are only one of the players, and the family should be the number one, with schools and maybe churches  involved as well as families allow.
  • Who's Online (See full list)