so.. when do i wear wood badge beads and neckerchief?

i know i can wear beads with full uniform. that part is not confusing. and i know i'm wearing my cub scout leader neckerchief with my pack and den activity in full uniform with beads. no issue there either. the boy scout troop that my older son belong to does not wear neckerchief, and i always wear one, so far it has been troop 1 training neckerchief. do i wear wood badge neckerchifef for troop activity? or do i just wear beads?

i know i'll be wearing it for court of honor and more formal events. just not sure when is the right time to wear it.

pete

No rules where it when you want or is customary to your area.

I have seen SM and CM wear them weekly to den meetings, I have seen other folks never wear them to court of honors or Pack meeting or just round tables

Personally I never wear them, they live in a shoe box in the bottom of my closet. I don't see the point in wearing them and consider it boasting.

Likewise. They go in a box with my O/A necker and sash until there's some woodbadge stuff to be done (e.g. beading or announcing the next course).

I'll probably wear the beads to crew meetings if our crew ever settles on a uniform. (This might be the year, a lot of the boys are talking about getting it done and aren't bothered about my "no capes" rule.)

I would never wear them routinely at a troop meeting because I do not want to one-up the SM who hasn't had time to take the course because he spends his weekends hiking and camping with the boys.

With or without beads or necker, the scouts who care know that I am officially an old crow. That's all that matters to me.

Like all Scouot awards, they are what they are. You earned them, you can wear them. Or not. Some Scouters wear the barebones uni, (with council patch, PoR, unit number) some wear the whole Schmiel. I judge by what I will be attending. Camporee, IOLS, maybe the shirt, pants Commish necker. CoH, pick out a necker (Commish, Troop, WB, beads). Eagle CoH, District award dinner, maybe everything. Whittlin Chip class with Cubs, maybe no necker. It depends.

WB is a gradation. First, the Troop 1 necker. When everything is done, the Dove necker and beads.

Den meeting, I would think it's a little much (but you are proud of your acccomplishment, yes?) to wear everything, but then, it is a conversation starter. Shows the Cubs even the adults are "Loyal Scouts" (We Be).

"Wear thy sword as long as thy canst". (Quaker quote). Or.... Wear thy necker whenever thy feels like it....

Like all Scout awards, they are what they are. You earned them, you can wear them. Or not. Some Scouters wear the barebones uni, (with council patch, PoR, unit number) some wear the whole Schmiel. I judge by what I will be attending. Camporee, IOLS, maybe the shirt, pants Commish necker. CoH, pick out a necker (Commish, Troop, WB, beads). Eagle CoH, District award dinner, maybe everything. Whittlin Chip class with Cubs, maybe no necker. It depends.

WB is a gradation. First, the Troop 1 necker. When everything is done, the Dove necker and beads.

Den meeting, I would think it's a little much (but you are proud of your acccomplishment, yes?) to wear everything, but then, it is a conversation starter. Shows the Cubs even the adults are "Loyal Scouts" (We Be).

"Wear thy sword as long as thy canst". (Quaker quote). Or.... Wear thy necker whenever thy feels like it....

Around here, most Woodbadgers were their beads all the time, usually without the necker. The neckerchiefs are usually for more formal occasions, although you'll see some folks with them all the time. Seems like the training committee types and other at-large members of the Ol' Boys Club tend to wear the neckers a lot.

Our troop has it's own neckerchief which we consider part of the full troop uniform. I almost always wear the troop necker with beads. I'm part of the troop first, a Woodbadger second. Actually the only time I drag out the WB necker is teaching a national camp school where we consider WB regailia part of the staff uniform.

So SSS is correct. You earned it, you paid for it, wear it as you please. There may be local tradition or expectations, but what are they going to do, cut your pay?

"

Sorry ADCinNC that is not to be considered an official source as it is not a BSA owned Website."

Wood Badge necklace with two beads, No.02175; three beads, No.02176; four beads, No.02177; worn under Wood Badge neckerchief, and over the ends below the woggle, with official field uniform; Wood Badge beads are not worn on civilian clothes, dress blazer uniform, or with a T-shirt. Wood Badge beads may be worn with a neckerchief as indicated or alone. http://councils.scouting.org/scoutsource/Media/InsigniaGuide/06I

:-)

Like Twocubdad I wear the beads most of the time when wearing the Class A shirt. I am an ASM in the troop and we have a troop neckerchief - I don't typically wear the neckerchief though. If a formal troop event (Court of Honor, etc.), I'll wear the troop neckerchief and the beads. I'm also a UC and am the membership chair for the district, so if attending a district or council formal event I'll wear the tartan neckerchief with beads.