Unit Fundraising Application

Hello,

I need to stir some discussion on this topic. I've never really been able to get a good answer (or have it explained down to my level of understanding), so I can't answer intelligently when asked.

Guide to Unit Money-Earning Projects:

7. Will the fund-raising project avoid soliciting money or gifts?

The BSA Rules and Regulations state, Youth members shall not be permitted to serve as solicitors of money for their chartered organizations, for the local council, or in support of other organizations. Adult and youth members shall not be permitted to serve as solicitors of money in support of personal or unit participation in local, national, or international events.

For example: Boy Scouts/Cub Scouts and leaders should not identify themselves as Boy Scouts/Cub

Scouts or as a troop/pack participate in The Salvation Armys Christmas Bell Ringing program. This would be raising money for another organization. At no time are units permitted to solicit contributions for unit programs.

So, to dumb it down to my level, it's okay to hold a car wash and take donations. It's NOT okay to put up a sign saying "Car Wash - $5".

Likewise, it's not permitted to say "I'm selling candy bars to earn money for camp" but all right if "I'm selling candy bars to earn money for my pack."

True in both cases? 'Cause what's hanging me up is, "At no time are units permitted to solicit contributions for unit programs." Ummm...I think it's assumed that any sales or donation going into the unit coffers, will somehow be used for the unit program.

Help me out with this?

I understand about soliciting for another organization and all that, no problem.

Last - I'm sure it may vary by Council - are there some Findings on when an applications must be sent in? Taking public donations or selling door-to-door, natch. How about selling popcorn at the pack pinewood derby? Having a pie auction at Blue & Gold?

My interpretation of "solicit contributions" has always been that $5 car wash is fine, standing out side the store with a shaker can begging for coins is not.

But the best news is that you can fill out anything you want on the application and it's up to the folks in the office to determine if it is OK.

I believe Wingnut is right. I think you're misreading the application. There's a difference - subtle yet distinct - between selling a good or service and soliciting donations.

Selling is OK, as long as it's something of value that can sell "on its own merits." So no buying pencils in bulk for 1 cent each and selling them for $1 while saying "It's for the Scouts."

Soliciting donations is going up to Mrs. Smith and saying "Would you donate $5 to Troop 28? We want to buy a new trailer."

That's my read of it, anyway. Anyone else with more expertise?

My biggest concern with the Unit Fundraising Application is that it asks for the amount in the Unit treasury.

Why is this a concern for council?

We do not do fundraisers for the sake of doing fundraisers. If the Troop determines that we need to raise money for - whatever, it is a legitimate concern.

Whether we have $5.00 or $5000.00 in our treasury shouldn't be the business of the local council.

One last thing; I have always perceived this "application" as mearly a formality in letting the council know that we are doing a __________fundraiser, on such and such a date(s) and time(s). I do not recall ever getting an official YEA or NAY from someone at the council headquarters. I guess no news is good news.

The point of the question ASM is do you really need a fund raiser?????

if you have $20k in the bank why do you need to have a candy bar blitz to pay for summer camp???

If you have $100 bucks in the bank and want new tents?????

Justification.

Prevents Orgs from just doing perpetual fundraising.

If your worried about it, don't bother to fill it out. Most people don't.

"My biggest concern with the Unit Fundraising Application is that it asks for the amount in the Unit treasury.

Why is this a concern for council? "

I am not up on the latest legal wording, but if the purpose of your unit is deemed to be fundraising - as shown by the size of the troop treasury - you can get in all kinds of trouble with the IRS and lose your/CO non-profit status

So, keep that money churning. It needs to leave as quickly as it comes in