Scoutmaster Emeritus patch

We want to recognize and honor certain "retired" Scoutmasters who still want to contribute to the Troop when they can. This role would be an advisor to the Scoutmaster based on their long experience as a Scoutmaster. They would retain honorary privileges for outings, meetings, etc., but without direct responsibilities.

The patch design we are looking for is similar to the current 3 inch Scoutmaster patch, but would have the word "EMERITUS" stitched in green thread at the bottom of the patch. The size and color would also match the current SCOUTMASTER patch lettering. Does any Troop have these already made that we could purchase a few? All the embroiderers we contacted will only process orders of 50+ patches at about $1-2 each. Or would any Troop be interested in sharing the cost? Thanks...

I'm not following your question. The individual we plan to give this new title to became an Eagle Scout in 1977, then from 1978 until 2006 became an adult leader holding positions including Committee member, Committee Chair, ASM, and finally Scoutmaster the past eight years. His business has interfered with his time requirements as Scoutmaster and has stepped aside. We identified a new Scoutmaster who can commit the time required for a Scoutmaster. The Scoutmaster will use these Emeriti as an Advisor only as he can only commit a few hours a month if that. We did not want to demotivate him with an ASM offering, nor could he commit the time for that role. As we will only have one Scoutmaster in charge, this individual will provide help when he can, not always when it's needed. I hope this better explains this position.

We understand this role (or title) is not an official BSA one, but we're not recreating the BSA leadership positions or patches. Scouts and parents have been confused enough in the past when more than one leader had the Scoutmaster patch on his uniform. We now have clear roles & responsibilities for each Program and Committee position, but we still have only one Scoutmaster. Thanks for responding....

This role would be an advisor to the Scoutmaster based on their long experience as a Scoutmaster. They would retain honorary privileges for outings, meetings, etc., but without direct responsibilities.

Isn't there already a position with a patch that does this?

This sounds to me like a Unit Commissioner.

It seems to me that with the amount of Scouting experiance this person would make a good UC.

Rather than running afoul of BSA uniforming guidelines (wearing an unlicensed patch for a nonexistent BSA position), perhaps consider a special neckerchief and slide for your 'retired' Scoutmaster emeriti.

I think you will find that a majority of scouters will not wear unlicensed patches on their uniforms for one reason or another. The special neckerchief will make it possible to recognize him appropriately and allow him to wear his recognition without the possible discomfort (from his own ideas or the UP) of wearing unlicensed patches. Besides, it will be much more recognizable and offer greater flexibility in terms of what it says.

In our troop, the SPL and ASPL are given special neckerchiefs that they can wear during their tenure in office. There is little old lady in our church that does the embroidery by hand. She enjoys that kind of thing.

I think this sounds like a great idea. While the unit commissioner does sound similar, it's not the same thing really. I've gone looking for patches like this, but didn't find any. I think the 50+ patch minimum is a common requirement from embroiderers. And would it end up actually looking the same? I'd be happy to buy 2 or 3 from you on principle (or even 5), but I don't think that's really going to help you much with the cost. And I don't have the same situation where there's someone I really want to honor the way you do.

Oak Tree

• 1 month later...

I think you will find that a majority of scouters will not wear unlicensed patches on their uniforms for one reason or another.

Guffaw!! That's hysterical, eh? There's a whole cottage industry in spoof patches, and thank goodness most scouting adults have a sense of humor and try not to take ourselves too seriously.

Yah, I'll join Oak Tree. Put me down for 5 if you decide to do an order. Maybe we forum folk can all help you out.

• Upvote 1

"Guffaw!! That's hysterical, eh? There's a whole cottage industry in spoof patches, and thank goodness most scouting adults have a sense of humor and try not to take ourselves too seriously."

So? Most don't wear these things. I don't think many have a problem with spoof patches. I think many would if you start wearing them.

I read through this after reading Eamonn's about him Knowing about Leaving a Legacy and so forth. I noticed that your thread is spun from Knowing When to Step Down. I will go ahead and just say a few things here. The first one is that if someone has not already made the patch, there are dozens of companies out there that will do it for you but will want you to order 50 or 100. I will bet that you could sell all of them in short order if you made a run. Just copy the SM patch and add the words with a small rocking chair between them. Most of us have watched "Follow Me Boys" and remember.

Knowing When to Step Down comes from good personal insight. Knowing One's Time Commitment and how much one can do follows. Also Knowing What One Can and Should be Doing is even more important. Many envy a particular job and when they get in it don't have a clue of how to do it. It really comes down to Knowing Your Personality and what you are best suited for in life. The last item comes from wisdom and that is Knowing When to Get Out of the Way. When we have done a good job, especially SM, the next person in line will have their own troubles and do not need someone looking over their shoulder to tell them how it should be done. It is a bad idea which can lead to hurt feelings, conflict and loss of personnel. It would be easier to find a District job for the past SM that takes just a few minutes a week, such as, UC. He will still be around and won't need to do anything. fb