Lurked for a while, finally signed up

Hello all.

I've been lurking on here for a couple of months now, and finally got signed up tonight. Before and after the forum changeover there seemed to be an issue with actually registering, but I've finally made it through! Anyway, I spent a good chunk of my youth in Scouting, 3 years in Cubs/Webelos followed by a little under 7 years as a Boy Scout. Once I headed off to college, my formal affiliation with the BSA ended for almost 14 years and my only connection back was my Eagle Scout card in my wallet and my on-again-off-again NESA membership. Last January I decided to become directly involved again and signed up as a merit badge counselor with my local district. When I attended a "district barbeque" just to see what was going on, I ended up recruited to join the District Advancement Committee back in October. I've also been helping get my local council's STEM-NOVA committee started up recently. I'm looking forward to using this site as a resource and contributing where I can.

It's hard to guess how many people are lurking and learning, but never posting. Feel free to post a topic whenever you want. Overall I think we are a pretty friendly bunch, except in the Issues and Politics forum. But I'm sure you've seen all that.

Nice to have ya,

Sentinel947.

Thanks for the welcome. As for Sandy, my area was bruised by the storm, but not devastated like some other areas. We "only" had an unbelievable amount of downed trees, wind damage, and long term power loss. Our council owns two camps locally, and each one lost roughly 400 trees. Hurricane Irene, a year earlier had a much larger impact on me personally, since my father's house was flooded and the entire interior needed to be rebuilt. As that was the house I grew up in, a lot of memories are still there and a lot of "stuff" was destroyed.