Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've heard of a handful of units dropping across the country, but nothing earth shattering. I know a few local COs are doing more than shrugging it off, but I don't know that they are kicking the scouts out. However, my concern has always been with the new scout parents. I'm afraid new parents will think it easier to just the skip political controversy than finding themselves picking sides. But, I've been wrong before and I hope my fears are misplaced here as well. Barry

Comment

In a few Christian churches the sinner is welcomed, others, not. It says a lot about the religious organizations on how they react to this situation.

Stosh

Comment

• st0ut717
        st0ut717 commented
        Editing a comment
        Boy I am sure those churches always get to cast the first stone then.

• Eagledad
        Eagledad commented
        Editing a comment
        To be fair, the functions of the church model the moral direction its members should follow, whether the church leaders know it or not. On this issue, there is a fine line between hypocrisy and progressive surrender.

We have at least three units in our district that lost charter orgs, one troop and two packs. The troop merged with another nearby troop, One of the packs folded, it was small and struggling before the membership change. I don't know what happened to the third. We have welcomed the cubs to our pack, we are pretty diverse and they should fit in well.

Comment

A Presbyterian church near us is folding the Pack and Troop in December. It is unfortunate because it was a very active unit and one I was going to consider. I tried to reach out to the leaders and offered to bring them in to our pack now, but they want to finish out in December. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me unless they just plan on leaving scouts completely.

Comment

• qwazse
          qwazse commented
          Editing a comment
          The church is probably counting on it's stand-alone youth program to rally those volunteers who would otherwise be scouting. For the kids' sake, I hope that's the case.

I can respect that CORs/potential CORs make choices about which kinds of organizations to support, including BSA. What seems unfortunate to me, if there were a clear understanding of principle and practice in units, is that the scout promise & law drive practice, while its the role of the family to make decisions for themselves on principles and values. To me, the brilliance of the scout promise & law is that they ARE supportive of an individual's/their families faith/values. Scouting isn't a place for proselyting or politics -- it's all about the value of the program for the boys!

Comment

• Eagledad
          Eagledad commented
          Editing a comment
          Wow cubdadinnj, you seem have hit all the topics. We will have to agree to disagree on some of them, but I think you are right-on here. The brilliance of the Scout Promise and Law IS that they are supportive of any individuals values because they are outward actions of respect to all others. How many times have I cringed when someone sais that not being inclusive of gays was against the scout law and oath. I would in no way allow a KKK recruiter in my house, but that doesn't prevent me from living up to the full extent of the Oath and Law. The Scout program today can work in any CO because of the brilliance of the Law and Oath as you say, provided the grown ups allow, support, and encourage those virtues. Good post.
          Last edited by Eagledad; 08-23-2013, 08:47 AM.
      Working...
      X