Red Cross Training??

So, I'm looking through some various badges and awards...they all want Red Cross Training (of various levels/skills) My initial thought was, I'd google a group an see about setting up a large class and try to help cut the cost.. hoping to make it free for the scouts. Now, I find... there isn't any training in the local area at all. We'd have to drive 1.5 miles away, at least. But I have access to at least 3 hospitals here. I know people who teach CPR.

Question: if the requirement says Red Cross First Aid...and I find a Nurse, Doctor, Fireman, (or even an EMT) who can teach the basic skills of a First Aid Merit Badge (remember, these are only cub scouts)... does anyone think this would meet the requierment? It makes no sense to me to tie us leaders to a single program of study...especially when that program of study is harder to arrange. I understand the need to ensure levels of informatoin taught and accuracy of information....but I'm 99% sure the people I'd find are RC trained, or they help write their training. I can promise...these 7-10 y/o boys will learn some great skills and more than meet the Red Cross requirments...but they just won't be able to do it through the Red Cross class.

I'm really thinking about setting one of these up and then signing it off. Again, the more the kids learn...the better prepaired they will be.

Thoughts?

Wow, this is dredging up some deep memories...when I was CM I think I remember a pack meeting where CPR training was given to everyone, parents included. We had an EMT guy from the local hospital in the pack and he set everything up. But I don't remember if it was related to advancement or if it was merely a public service kind of thing.

It was one of the more interesting pack meetings, mostly because of Fred, the name of the CPR dummy.

The only award available to Cub Scouts that includes Red Cross First Aid training as a requirement is Emergency Preparedness.

The program calls for rather specific, age appropriate, first aid training. While these are "just" Cub Scouts, and this is not the First Aid Merit Badge, it is supposed to prepare the Scout to help in an emergency situation. It is supposed to be a First Aid TRAINING COURSE, not just a demonstration.

Have you contacted your local park district? They often hold First Aid training classes. They might be able to set up a multi-level training class, or at least give you contact info for the people/group that does their training.

Have you contacted your local FEMA office to see if they can help?

Your local hospital might have a list of local certified First Aid instructors they could share with you.

Contact your local Fire Department EMT's and describe to them what you are working on, and what the requirements are. They might be able to put together a training course for you.

If you can not put together a decent training course that will fulfill the requirements, then you can always simply not do that requirement.

Cub Scouts have to complete one of three options. First Aid training is only one option of the three.

Wow.. thanks for the thoughts everyone.

Just to clarify, it was 1.5 hour drive, not miles. (yeah, I agree..pretty petty to complain about 1.5 miles)

Yes, the badge was the Emergency Prepairdness...we're doing a bit of a theme this month, and after reading, it just made sense to look into getting the badge.

Richard: I'll review the links.

Everyone else: Thanks again for the thoughts. I was planning on contacting the local council, but as it was pointed out by Scoutnut...I have friends who are EMT's, I work on a military base with access to sevearl Doctor's, Nurses, and other professional medical personnel, and my unit has certified CPR instructors (who are friends and 'want' to teach the scouts.

My concern was trying to get a Red Cross course, when I know I can get someone to teach a course just as good, or even better. ScoutNut basically said the samething.

Also Scoutnut: I'll re-examine the requirments...but I believe the scouts have to do them all. (including the First Aid Training)

http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/Media/Publications/EmergencyPreparedness/award.aspx

Tiger Cub - With your parent or guardian's help, complete one of these three activities.

Take the American Red Cross First Aid for Children Today (FACT) course.

Join a safe kids program such as McGruff Child Identification, Internet Safety, or Safety at Home.

Show and tell your family household what you have learned about preparing for emergencies.

Wolf Cub Scout - With your parent or guardian's help, complete one of the following activities that you have not already completed for this award as a Tiger Cub:

Take American Red Cross Basic Aid Training (BAT) to learn emergency skills and care for choking, wounds, nose bleeds, falls, and animal bites. This course includes responses for fire safety, poisoning, water accidents, substance abuse, and more.

Make a presentation to your family on what you have learned about preparing for emergencies.

Join a Safe Kids program such as McGruff Child Identification program. Put on a training program for your family or den on stranger awareness, Internet safety, or safety at home.

Bear Cub Scout - With your parent or guardian's help, complete one of the following activities that you have not already completed for this award as a Tiger Cub or Wolf Cub Scout:

Take American Red Cross Basic Aid Training (BAT) to learn emergency skills and care for choking, wounds, nose bleeds, falls, and animal bites. This course includes responses for fire safety, poisoning, water accidents, substance abuse, and more..

Put together a family emergency kit for use in the home.

Organize a safe kids program such as McGruff Child Identification program. Put on a training program for your family or den on stranger awareness, Internet safety, or safety at home.

Webelos Scout - With your parent or guardian's help, complete one of the following that you have not already completed for this award as a Tiger Cub or Wolf or Bear Cub Scout:

Take a first aid course conducted by your local American Red Cross chapter.

Give a presentation to your den on preparing for emergencies.

Organize a training program for your Webelos den on stranger awareness, Internet safety, or safety at home.

Basic Aid Training is a Red Cross course, but it does not require certified instructors like other ARC courses. The BAT instructor should be someone with reasonable knowledge of the subject matter and take time to review the course materials and be well prepared. The course is structured for about 6 hours, so it is not going to fit into a routine pack meeting.

You can get the course materials through your local ARC chapter, or you can order them online from www.shopstaywell.org.

The Basic Aid Training Instructor's Manual is item # 654205 and it will cost you $6.50

The BAT Participant Book is # 654200 and comes in a 25 pack for $37.50

I have not run a BAT course, but others in my district have done them as part of a Saturday program.

Me personally I would accept other equivalent courses for these requirements just as BSA national accepts equivalent courses for ARC classes, AHA, NOLS, etc.

And I don't consider it adding or subtracting to the requirements since the MOUs or whatever you want to call them between the different organizations all recognize certain organizations (ARC for First Aid and AHA for CPR) and agree to use that org's methods.