Moisture wicking undergarments / shorts

I know that many of you have no doubt own, or have plenty of experience with different brands or types of moisture wicking clothing/ underclothing...but I just wanted to give props to a company for at least one of their products;

Starter athletic apparral's compression shorts.

They are a thin spandex feeling , compression shorts.

I work ourdoors basically. I install garage doors for a living, so while not completely in the sun all day long, I am exposed to the outside air, temperatures and worst of all - the humidity.

I probably change my t shirt 4 times a day from mid July to mid August. Even thge Under Armor and Starter shirts designed to keep me cool and dry cannot keep up with how m uch I sweat in this high humidty we just love in NC.

Problem was that the sweat works it's way down as I am sure you all know. Your shorts get wet, you underwear gets wet, you get chaffed and you get sore and raw down there.

WEll, you can't run around naked and remembering that you are working does limit what you can/will wear for working around contrsuction sites/ metal/ wood, etc...

So I thought I'd try the Starter brand ( from WAl-Mart) compression shorts.

Now, I'll be honest: I am not su much using the compression supprt part of then as the non spandex feel of the spandex material and that they are fitted. Not a fan of loose or boxer type underwear myself. I like the support instead of the dangle if you know what I mean! :)

Anyways, these shorts are fitted without being tight. They are anti-bacterial, anti- odor, moisture wicking Dry Star material and weigh half as much as regular "tighty whiteys" .

The only downside is price. They are $10.00 each versus buyinmg a 3 pack of regular or boxer underwear for $8.00.

Truth be told, I like Starter brand just as much as Under Armor - but for a cheaper price.

Okay, wasn't trying to do a commercial for any one brand, pick whatever brand you want.....the point was this:

If you haven't tried ANY of the compression shorts or moisture whicking shorts from any of the companies that offer them...do so now!

The difference is like night and day!

Funny you mention this Scoutfish, I discovered the Starter drawers (also at Wal-Mart) recently myself and was intrigued because they were half the price of Under Armor & the other brands, even REI's house brand... They work great!

The odd thing I cannot find them on neither Starer or Wal-Marts Website.

Yeah, I noticed that on Wal-Mart's website. They show several different loose fit Starter shorts and other brands of loose fit shorts or boxers, but not the compression.

Same with full length compression pants: They show Gold's Gym brand on website, but have Starter brand in store.

You should try Duluth Trading Company. Their stuff isn't cheap, but it is really high quality and designed for the construction industry. Their shirts, for example, have extra long tails so they stay tucked-in -- they're advertised as "No Butt Crack" shirts. I've bought shorts, shirts and a bunch of other stuff from them.

Hint -- stay away from darker colors. They wick so well the salt stains really show up on the dark shirts.

You should try Duluth Trading Company. Their stuff isn't cheap, but it is really high quality and designed for the construction industry. Their shirts, for example, have extra long tails so they stay tucked-in -- they're advertised as "No Butt Crack" shirts. I've bought shorts, shirts and a bunch of other stuff from them.

Hint -- stay away from darker colors. They wick so well the salt stains really show up on the dark shirts.

AllFansome, Yeah, not them. The ones I bought are single color and very thin. Thin but they cover you without being see through.

Fit like second skin.

Come in black, white, gray, and blue.

Worth their weight in gold as far as I am concerned

I discovered the Starter Dri-Star undergarments at Walmart while gearing up for hikes the boys were planning for the merit badge. They worked great. Even wearing one of the shirts under a t-shirt works great. I actually stocked up on a week's worth of items for summer camp since we were going during the hotest week of July. My summer camp experience wearing the Starter gear was by far the best ever!

Yeah in Florida it is usually the heat and sweat that I cannot stand. I don't do compression shorts cause they just feel too hot.

I have had good luck with ExOfficio underwear. It is very lightweight, breathable, and anti-microbial to boot. I have gone on trips for a week with just two pairs and you can hand wash and they dry out in 20-30 minutes.

They are not cheap at about $10 a pair but seem to be very well made. Because they are lightweight (keep away from velcro hooks) I wash them in my wife's lingerie bag so they don't cling to something and I lose them.

I wore one pair 96 hours straight without washing during a hurricane and they did not smell. So I can vouch for them.

• 9 months later...

Last June I went backpacking in Shenandoah National Park, and I was concerned about the high humidity. We planned a trek where we could chill out in the running water. I actually chose to wear some of the Scout shorts (wet/dry), skipping the underwear altogether since they have the net liner. On the 2 for 1 deal at about $15, they really can't be beat, and I'm completely sold on them now. I even wear them when I'm not Scouting - I haven't found anything that comes even close to quality or value for less than $40 or more. I just wish they had a button instead of the snap (stupid for active wear).

• 2 weeks later...

I wear the Starter Brand everyday at Work. I work as a Correctional Officer here in Texas..Our Housing Areas regularly get over 100* in the Summer. We work a 12 hour shift.

In the summer months the most common stolen kitchen item is corn starch

LOL. I got summer camp coming up and my "dainty things" AKA wicking underwear has static clinged themselves into a pocket universe. Shoulda used my wife's lingerie bag again; or get my own. I guess I will need to rename as "inner layer mesh washing retainment system".