Cooking MB - trail stove vs. lightweight stove, difference is????

Part of Cooking requirement 4b: Use a backpacking stove to cook at least one meal.

Part of Cooking requirement 6b: Use an approved trail stove (with proper supervision) or charcoal to prepare your meals

I see backpacking and trail stove as the same thing. However, requirement 4 seems to deal more with "campsite" cooking, and reqirement 6 with "trail" cooking.

Thoughts?

I may have an older one but the list I just looked at says to use a lightweight stove for 4 and backpacking for 6. Our boys use a propane two-burner camp stove or campfire for 4 and then use a cylinder fuel backpacking single burner or campfire for 6. plus even if they are not backpacking - I make them use only 1 pot/pan for their backpacking meals just as if they we were backpacking.

IMO, Requirement 4 is campsite cooking (two burner suitcase stove or campfire), however for one meal of the four meals in this requirement: "Use a backpacking stove to cook at least one meal. (Where local regulations do not allow you to do this, the counselor may change the requirement to meet the law.)" . For us, this is usually a quick breakfast on Sunday. I think the intent is to practice with a backpacking stove for the next outing and Requirement 5.

If the location allows it, practice the wood fire too.

My $0.02,

I believe the intent is pretty clear. The boy needs to show profiency on a backpacking stove (I think best during a backpacking trip--the planning is the thing) and another time using (in our Troop) using the ol' Coleman 2 burner Patrol box style. Some boys do a Dutch oven since we do that a lot. We want the boys to learn backpacking stoves so they can do more ambitious adventures later and be able to cook for their patrol.

Agree with the previous posts. I recently taught this MB to our troop and for #4 we used the "suitcase" stoves AND did a low-impact fire. For #6 it was a back-packing stove, both liquid fuel and propane.

I will note we had some discussion about the menus for a backpacking trip. Since most everything is prepared and/or freeze-dried, there is really very little cooking involved. There is one or two national brands where you rehydrate the food and cook it. But realistically why would anyone do that on the trail when the pre-cooked, reconstituted eggs taste about the same with less mess and less time? Went went both routes just for fun.

Lastly, we did a Top Chef competition for fun when we were done. Yes, we did not "add" it as a requirement; merely made it a fun thing to do. Had teams of two, they planned one entree and one side (or dessert). Entree could be from any meal. Three judges awarded points. Cooks cooked onsite, with patrol gear and utensils. Had 90 mins to prepare and cook and then present. Every kid told me it was the most fun they had doing a MB ever. ;-)