Are these Additional Requirements?

Here's a radical thought: maybe the fact that the requirement doesn't provide any real criteria for what "service projects" should be approved by the SM means that the SM is supposed to use good, sensible judgment in deciding what to approve. Thus, he might approve altar service for a very active boy who performs lots of such "routine" service (like AwHeck's daughter). On the other hand, a boy who never shows up to help with Eagle projects but who wants to squeak by with some routine service that he's required to do anyway as part of his confirmation class, say--maybe not.

Of course, when you give discretion, you take the risk that some people will construct all kinds of elaborate requirements for what they will approve. You also take the risk that the SM may not apply judgment evenhandedly (or may be perceived as being unfair).

I second Hunt's post. There's a reason Scoutmasters are selected and and approved by the chartering organization and committee chair. That reason (reasons) include their judgement and character. True, sometimes, it's simply their willingness to serve, but that horse has been beaten to death in other places. :)

I applaud the ability of a Scoutmaster to use his/her judgement in the application of the program.

Hunt is correct . . . there's a reason service projects require Scoutmaster approval. Yes, it's true that some mis-use it, but let us hope they don't remain Scoutmasters for long if they do. Most Scoutmasters I've worked with over the years are very fair and balanced in the application of their judgement and their signature on the things they are to oversee.

Unc.

LindaJ, et al,

The way I read it, it does require at least 2 projects. Otherwise it would read 'project or projects'. The use of the plural without a caveat means that anyone allowing less than 2 projects would be modifying the requirements as well. Of course, everyone is going to do whatever they want anyway, c'est la vie!