Best resource for latest merit badge requirments?

( blantant sarcasm )

What? And lose sales???

( / blatant sarcasm )

On a serious note, www.meritbadge.com is a good spot for requirements. He has the Citizenship in the Community updated to the 2005 requirements set. He also runs hyperlinks to resources for each badge.

YIS John(This message has been edited by John-in-KC)

No.

My comment of "and lose sales" was a slam at Supply Incorporated, the for-profit arm of BSA.

I for one agree that pdf-ing the MB series and selling it as a CD set would be less expensive for youth, troops and (over the long haul) BSA than killing trees. I do think, though, that BSA and Supply Division would have less net revenue inbound over time.

OTOH, getting kids to read is a good goal too!

John

Sure, they probably plow the profits back into the program. But how much is the profit from a MB booklet compared to what we pay for it? Nobody is buying them except people are in the program--so we are paying dollars for a product so the program can get a few cents of profit? In my estimation, we'd be able to deliver the MB program much better if the material in the booklets was moved online, or at least made available there.

OGE, I would also point out that a merit badge counselor may or may not know that the requirements for a MB have changed. In fact, how would he know unless somebody tells him--especially if he is the rare counselor who is not active with a unit? Does somebody who is only registered as a "42" get Scouting magazine?

Personally, I like the pamphlets as they are. They're sized right, and the level of info is right, too. Don't get me wrong, I don't object to even a paid BSA online subscription service that gave access to .pdf files of every pamphlet and pub, for reference purposes. But, for out in the field, doing the experiments, and so on, there's no substitute for the pamphlets.

I hope BSA never does away with the printed pubs. The military has quit distributing forms and pubs; they're all online and you print them yourselves. The cost of paper, ink, and binders really adds up after a while, and you're not getting a professional product either.

KS

KS

Just ruminating on the tree savings....

paper from trees, a renewable resource,

cd's from plastic, most likely non-renewable (my recollection is that most plastics are petroleum based ergo non-renewable.)

Let's just accept that we'd like the convenience, Would you like the entire book or just the requirements on-line?

Bob

(The devil's advocate has left the bulding.)

Bob,

Actually, with ussp and meritbadge.com, we have current requirements online.

I keep meritbadge.com bookmarked on my PCs. I've found it loads faster for dialup ISPs (the last mile is just a tad far for me for DSL/cable).

At least you can find BSA merit badge requirements, rank requirements, the Guide to Safe Scouting, and much, much more on the web. It is also, for the most part, being kept current.

GSUSA has copyright protected EVERYTHING. About the only thing you can find online are a few forms. If you want something you need to purchase it from them. Copying is not allowed, multiples must be purchased. Even their Saftey Wise (GS version of G2SS) is not available online & must be purchased.