I've been looking at my old handbooks and going back to the oldest in my collection, the third edition, I find that BSA used mixed terminologies for what we usually call "ranks."

Chapter 11 is titled "Star -- Life -- Eagle Awards" but the text in that chapter refers to Star, Life and Eagle "ranks."

I haven't found anything that refers to "ranks" as "progress awards."

FOG is right again.

Page 592 in the BSHB, 10th Edition, 1990.

The requirements for the ranks of Star, Life and Eagle are....

it goes on to say that there are positions of responsibility in the troop, meaning Scribe, SPL, etc.

Then it states: Star Rank, Life Rank, and Eagle Rank.

It also labels all other badges (i.e., Den Chief, 50 Miler, Religious, etc.) as Awards.

We must now change. We must learn to read.

FB

I've been reading these posts with interest. I'm an Eagle Scout myself.

To me, it's a moot question. Whether an award or a rank (I believe it's a rank, but that's not my point,) Eagle Scouts are expected to live their entire lives according to the Scout Oath and Law. Period. End of Report.

If an Eagle Scout does not live according to the Scout Oath and Law, his actions diminish the badge for all of us.

At my Eagle Court of Honor, when the medal was pinned on me, I had just finished reading Frank Herbert's Dune trilogy. I felt like the Kiwsatch Hiederach (sp) -- that I had just found my place in the hall of heros. If I should fail, we all would fail. If I were to succeed, all would be the better for it.

To me that is the reality. Call it what you will.

Unc.

Me thinks twas I who started this mess!!

Back in the Day!! When I was a Scout and Venture Scout, in Merry Old England. As a Scout you worked on The Scout Badge, The Scout Standard and the Advanced Scout Standard. Then you worked on the Chief Scouts Award. When you completed all the requirements you received along with the patch a certificate signed by the Chief Scout. At the ripe old age of 16 years you left the troop and moved on into the Venture Unit. You could still proudly wear your Chief Scouts award. You worked away at the Venture Scout Award and then the Queens Scout Award, again when you had met all the requirements there was a certificate from the Queen. Many of the requirements for the Queens Scout Award were much the same as the Duke of Edinburgh Award, while not a Scouting award you could wear a patch and most Venture Unit Leaders were allowed to certify that you had met the requirements, there were three awards Bronze, Silver and Gold for the Duke of Edinburgh Award, again for each one you received a very nice medal a patch that could be worn on the uniform and a certificate signed by the Duke.

It was easy to know that these were Awards. It said so on the certificates.

I agree that at the end of the day it makes no never mind if we call it an award or a rank. All these certificates are in an album. I don't look at them very often, when I do they of course bring back memories of the activities that were done but more so memories of the people who helped me along the way. Needless to say my parents are top of that list. At times I lost sight of the goal, I thank the Big Fellow Upstairs for providing me with people who were willing to give me a friendly kick in the pants.

One thing that I really like about the American Eagle Scout Award ceremony, that isn't part of the UK ceremony is that the Award is presented by a parent. I have stood in the parade at Windsor, with the Queen and members of the royal family and sure I was in awe. But as I age I would love to have as a memory my Mum pinning the award on me, Still that is not the case so I suppose I will settle for the next best thing - The Queen of England.

Eamonn

Everything changed when what was called "The Advanced Party Report" came along in 1969.

The Scout Laws went down to only six Scout Laws. The promise was shortened. The uniform became a dress uniform. Scoutmasters became Scout Leaders. Wolf Cubs became just Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts became just Scouts. Senior Scouts and Rovers were no longer. There were 3 different classifications for the new "Proficiency Badges". Interest Badges, they were the easy ones things like stamp collecting. Pursuit badges they were things like climbing or Swimming and Service Badges they were the hard ones First Aid, Lifesaving.

All this has changed again, some of the new ideas look like what was there before with new names!! There has been a big shift from Advancement to participation, which I am very interested to see how it works out.

Of course the thing that always got me was that you were unable to reach the top award until you had been in the Venture Unit for about 18 months. You couldn't join the Venture Unit until you were 16. You very rarely met a Queens Scout under the age of 18.

Eamonn.