Eagle Preparation: are we really doing the Scouts a disservice?

BW,

Program- I do not mean a descriptive notice prior to a meeting. I do not mean a written list of events.

I mean Doing Something.

In Scouting, an event is planned, is submitted to the committee for resource(ing) and support and is then carried out. That sounds simple but as we have all seen, it is not what it looks like. Because it is not easily done, HELP-Training is needed. Yes, we agree on that but I wanted you to know we agree, so I said it.

You must not have children of your own,

Because, if you did, you would understand the POWER of

Setting the Example- one of the Skills of Leadership, I know you have attended Wood Badge, so I know you know about it.

Whenever Council has a Summer Camp, it is not just a camp we go to once per year because it is Summer. We learn from it and I don't mean just Merit Badge stuff.

We learn to put on a show. We learn what fun is. We have older Scouts that are fun and know how to have a good time and we learn from them.

I bet as a Scout you never put on your own Summer Camp. As a Scout, I was given the opportunity and it was not easy but we had fun. We had great fun. We were not sure how to do it but we had been to Summer Camp and we learned how there.

Council has a Scout Show. What do we learn there? You know, you have been. It is fun and it provides a million ideas on "programs" we can do in our unit and we learned it there.

(*I am leaving the District out here because the opportunities for them to put on a great show are boundless, so their example should be left at face value.)

National has a magazine, Boys Life. It used to be a fun, exciting and stimulating adventure. We took many ideas and learned many things from it and we had program. In part it was training but the other Bigger part was Example, you know,

GREEN BAR BILL- He wasn't just one of the modern day founders but one that followed in the Founder's footsteps and acted like our Patrol Leader. He was an adult but he knew the power he had in being an Example.

and we loved him for it.

Now what I am purposing is that Council facilities be open year round with staff and well maintained equipment to support units in their efforts to learn about good program.

I do not mean that all units will only use the Council Camp because that would not work. Boys need to learn and expect to go to other wild and strange places.

You gave me the list of things expected from Council (i.e., their Primary Function) and I agree. Somebody has to pay to keep the lights on. Remember that, we agree.

BUT

I am giving a reason for people to give to such an organization.

Quality Program.

I have allot of Scouting literature. I have Scout posters, etc. but one of the ads that I treasure is very simple. It shows a new Scout and the caption says, "The reasons he came to Scouting." The next box reads, "Why he left". Now you need to see it to really appreciate it because the first box shows him running through the woods, building towers, chasing butterflies, building campfires, on and on. The other box shows him sitting in a room on a bench with a bunch of other disgruntled, horse-playing kids with the SPL barking orders.

You know, that cartoon used to be in Scout books because it was a picture worth a thousand training words. I can remember it but the stuff I see now is color and flash and allot of red filled with promise. I also know what else should be shown but isn't until the Scout joins. (*This generalization comes to you from what was said earlier, We only are reaching 20%-Eamonn).

So where does that leave us? I want to use your quote.

"Program is a function of the unit. The absolute very best advertising for scouting is the quality of your next unit meeting. Positive word of mouth will only happen when units regularly keep the promise of scouting, and that is done independent from council/district."

Your use of the word "independent" is where we disagree. Setting the Example is primary and crosses all boundaries.

FB

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sorry FB maybe I am just tired, but that last post reads as a random scattering of unrelated thought that has nothing to do with what we were discussing.

The point of what I wrote was quite simple. Council/District have different responsibilities than the unit has in the delivery of the BSA program.

When it comes to the boy, most have no idea what district they live in or what a district does and wouldn't know the council name if it were not sewed on their sleeeve. All of that is fine, because all they need to know is that every week they have a scout meeting to go to and if they do not get a good program from the unit they will leave.

The front line of scouting is the unit program and it is dependent on the ability of the adult leaders to deliver 90 minutes of scouting, not on the council/district.

I have to really agree with Fat Old Guy . Taking the joy of adventure out and suplimenting it with classroom style teaching is wrong . I'm in a constant battle with the S.M. of my troop with the over emphisis of book work . There is time for both in the progams . The largest reason i've seen for loss of boy (atleast in my area) is forcing boys to earn rank and taking the fun out of campouts and meeting . I've also noticed that Troops that have the higher retntion and seem to mass produce Eagles (you know the troop theres at least one in every council) are the ones that found that happy medium . Usually what they've done is incorperated book work into there programs , but with out the book . Also if your constently pushing for a scout to earn his Eagle what is that badge worth > That scout (in the back of his mind)will always see it as somethink given to him or forced upon him . The reason only 5% of scouts earn there Eagle is because those are the few that really wanted it . To call that a falure (as some have) is so far from the truth , Because i'm sure if you where to ask the 95% who didn't make Eagle about what scouting ment to them and close to 90% of those people will tell you it was so of the best times in there life . So don't worry about QUANITY AND THINK QUALITY!!! Also the most important thing of all (and i'm sure you've heard your mom or grandma say it "Let boys BE boys".

DGL

"Taking the joy of adventure out and suplimenting it with classroom style teaching is wrong . I'm in a constant battle with the S.M. of my troop with the over emphisis of book work."

Good News Bad news here wolfpack.

The good news is that Scouting is designed and taught to be a hands on, doing, active, adventurous program just like you want.

The bad news...Your SM isn't following the program. If you are doing a lot of book work and listening to adults talk then you aren't getting a sscouting program you are doing things in a scout uniform.

There is hope though. You have a Senior Patrol Leader. You have patrol Leaders. Talk with them, encourage them to become the leaders that the BSA is designed to let them be.

Ask us how. We will be glad to help do what we can on-line.

Best wishes,

Bob White

WOW. This is a great thread. I've been reading in on this and there has been so much I've realized and learned just from this thread; it's just incredible what a little debate and discussion can do. This is like a hardcore scouting philosophy class or something... Keep it comin!