Webelos-to-Scout Transition - BORs

EagleInKy - I understand exactly what you are experiencing regarding the Scouts first BOR. I am the MC and Advancement Chair for our Troop. In addition I'm the CM of our Pack. I would never allow a "Mock BOR" at the Cub Scout Level. As Cubmaster I try to meet informally with each Webelo II throughout the year. I ask him about the Scout Oath, Law and other related items. Hopefully this prepares him for the transition to Boyscouts.

Our Troop is nearing it's 2nd anniversary as a Troop and we experienced the same problems that Eagle has. The way we handled our first BOR was to coach the Scout on what to expect. We related it to a job interview - which is something that they all will have to do at some point. We stressed eye contact, introducing themselves, not sitting until told to, to treat the adults with respect ect. Were they still nervous - absolutely. Were they nervous the first time they rappelled, the first time they backpacked - absolutely. But it's amazing to witness a Scout come out of the BOR standing a little taller, with a grin from ear to ear and maybe a little more confidence in themeselves.

YIS

Paul

EagleIn Ky - excuse me. I believe you owe me an apology. Exactly where do I accuse you of running "inquisition" BORs?

What I may venture is that you may be compounding the problem by making such a big deal out of the BOR. For Tenderfoot it should be a piece of cake. Don't try to coach them through it. It's like telling them "it won't hurt a bit" in the doctors office. It only scares them more. Better yet, only bring it up at the end the SM conference. Ask the boy if he has any questions about the BOR. Tell him it should not be much different than what he just went through with you (assuming you are the SM or the SM conference giver).

Acco - Sorry about that. I lumped yours and NJS comments together. Looking back, that was in error. My only counter-point to your comment was that most 11 year old kids are going to get nervous in front of adults if they feel that they are being "judged", even if they're just shooting the breeze.

I think the points that 2CD & DS made are quite valid - "A little inherent intimidation on the part of new scouts is not a bad thing." As Paul pointed out, overcoming obstacles are some of the great lessons in life. The next point for me regarding that is to help convince/reassure the CM that it's okay for them to be nervous, and accept that as part of the deal.

I think it gets back to the thoughts on some of the other threads relating to the headlong rush for advancement. Everyone wants everything to be quick and easy for the boys. But it's not. Giving the boys the chance to learn and progress at their own pace is the key to quality advancment (IMO).

Laura, you brought up a good point regarding training. We had an overview of what BOR's are (and aren't) back when we started last year. But, I don't know how much of that stuck. With a new additions on the Committee coming soon, we should probably have a BOR training session for the committee.

EagleinKY, a refresher training on BORs with your unit is a good idea.

A year or two after I left the troop I served as Scoutmaster, one of the parents who remembered that I was the Scoutmaster when the troop was growing. The had 25 or so boys when I left and 40 the year after that. The parent who came to me was concerned because boys seemed to be dropping out at a rapid rate.

So, I visited a committee meeting. Oh -- I should probably mention that I was the District Director for that district. Well, one of the problems was that they had stopped having a committee meeting and changed it to a "parents meeting" and all parents were pressured to attend. There'd be about 30 parents in the room. Then they brought in some kids for a board of review!

A little nervousness felt by a first year Scout is part of his growth -- but an interview with 30 of your friend's parents is over the top.

Adult over-involvement was the key to that troop's troubles. I wish I could tell you whether they got over them or not, but got promoted out of council shortly thereafter.

DS

As far as BORs for Webelos Scouts, I too disagree. That is not part of the Webelos advancement program. It is not age appropriate. When the WDL says that the boy has passed, he has. A second "review" even a mock review should not be done.

As far as the boy freezing up at a BOR, this might be addressed by knowing the characteristics and needs of the boys a bit better. In my opinion, the BOR should not necessarily be just the three random committee members who show up that night. In the case of this boy, I suspect that his nervousness and stuttering were known. Could his BOR have been comprised of three adults whom he knew well and was close to, particularly for his first BOR. Could it have been adults selected to be particularly easy for him to relate to? (maybe this was done and he still froze; I have seen this happen.)